Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No one else will say it. So I will. The new stuff looks bad.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayraytee
    Career Member
    • May 27, 2011

Just adding my 2 cents to the debate, but I think sometimes what ruffles people's feathers is not what someone says but how they say it. People don't like it when other people speak for them, or assume they know what another person feels. So like on the original post, "No one else will say it. So I will." implies something about other people, that they feel the same or that they are afraid to speak up. I doubt invisiblelad really meant anything by it. It would be the same in revearse, what if someone posted that they were speaking for everyone when they say "We all love everything about the line!" Some people would probably speak up and disagree strongly as well.

I think by stating it that way, even if inadvertently, he built the premise of his post on a foundation that he was bravely speaking for everyone with his criticisms. People that don't agree will speak up and refute on that premise. And it doesn't necessarily mean that they don't like any criticism or that they are chearleaders for FTC. It made it seem as though invisibleld wasn't just voicing his opinion but voicing everyone's opinion, so the defence of that post by saying everyone is entitled to their own opinion doesn't really work. It unravels into a scemantical argument. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and people should voice their praise and criticisms, but they should voice only their own opinion and not imply they speak for everyone.

Personally, I see flaws with the line, just as I saw flaws with Mego's original line, but I am thankful for both the original and the new. I will pick and choose what I buy, not a big fan of the Tarzan line, but I never bought the original Mego Tarzan either. I thought it was ugly and lame when I was a kid, and pretty much feel the same now. And Jane and the other girl in my opinion are pretty bad, I would never pay what they are asking for those. On the other hand, I like the Superman figures and the Super Powers FF stuff, even though I prefer non-FF figures. And I agree with others when they say they will wait to develop a true opinion for when I see the actual figures and not the mock-ups. If the head on Bizarro stays that size I probably will pass on him, if it ends up looking better, I will probably get one. I wasn't sure about Alfred when they started showing him but eventually I bought one before they were gone.
    My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
      • Feb 27, 2014

Honestly if you want to see that your criticisms are heard by FTC then you need to comment on their FB page. But you need to be respectful and considerate when you do. If all you do is rant and complain, they will tune you out. There's one MM member that is constantly complaining and telling them to FIX IT! I know she's passionate about the products, but I also know it comes across that she's ranting and they will likely tune her out after a while as a result.

So if your criticism is CONSTRUCTIVE and focuses on a SOLUTION, they will likely listen. Remember that their CEO loves Megoes as much as the rest of us, and they are no doubt dealing with issues that we have no idea of. So the intent is there.

Comment

• TRDouble
        Permanent Member
        • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by alex
        I just saw all the new stuff, and all I can say is that they look cheap, with no thought put into design, and just looks like they have been thrown together like a kitbash from their extensive parts. Dont get me wrong Guys, but comparing this stuff to their Batman 66(which are fantastic), its very poorly executed. I also compare stuff to BBP and Emce, and they are light years ahead, with their packaging design, and just the great small details they put into the clothing and still keep the mego vibe, that make their figures so appealing. The tarzan stuff is just cringe worthy.
        Someone please correct me if I am wrong (which I really don't need to ask ), but...

When FTC first announced the Batman Retro Series and showed pictures, a big complaint was that (it looked like?) they used pictures of the original Mego figures. Many said it was false advertising and complained about it.

With these latest announcements, particularly Superman, because I am not that familiar with the original Tarzan and Conan Megos, these pictures definitely are FTC prototypes. I think Superman's baggy suit verifies that. Either way that FTC goes will bring complaints, that is obvious. But what do people prefer? Being shown the original Mego figure as misleading advertisement, or the imperfect prototypes with big heads and baggy costumes that we can comment on and critique? And remember, early Batman 66 prototypes had very baggy suits; Robin's tights looked like they were two sizes too big. And yet, the final products, "are fantastic."

I am not trying to go against anyone here or be a cheerleader for FTC; just trying to put it all into some perspective. Personally, I think the new stuff is not all that appealing looking. The females look awful, the suits on the Superman figures are baggy and the new males have over-sized heads. But I would rather see the real thing as opposed to original Megos that we are not going to get, or photoshopped pictures that hide the head size of the new figures. It allows a board like this to express concerns, which is great when a company is listening, like FTC appears to be doing. And besides the large heads, FTC has fixed the obvious things we can see by the time the figures get released (baggy suits). That track record is enough to get me to pre-order the series and figures that I want.

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

Just my two cents - I think some of this reaction has come from the fact that most of what FTC has used to define "prototypes" have been actual Megos. There have been a few exceptions where they pull from their own existing inventory of heads like their doing here for Superman, Bruce Wayne, and Dick Grayson. But now that they're starting to use actual prototypes as opposed to the Megos themselves, there's more emphasis on the imperfections. Now if they came out looking exactly like these, I would share in much of these concerns. But I feel allot of this will be fixed at the manufacturing level, just like they did with the concerns people had with the outfits and heads on the Batman '66 line.

And while Alfred's production head is sized just a smidgen too big, it's not a gross miscalculation like Rudy Well's head in the Six Mill line. So for me, there's plenty of latitude to give them a pass on that example. He fits in perfectly with the current line or classic Mego series. And honestly, if we're going to use Mego or other vintage lines as the gold standard, those were not always proportioned correctly either. Look at the complete miss on the 12 inch Captain America just as one example. If we want to explore other lines, look at the classic AHI Monsters. Most, if not all, of those were completely off scale from those small generic bodies. So I guess I'm a little more accustom to being less critical of those aspects because every line since the start of the 8 inch concept has suffered through those moments with far less kickback at the consumer level.

And that's not to discredit anyone who finds those heads unappealing. I get it. But I can also see why many find them completely acceptable. It's very subjective. That being said, I'm optimistic the production pieces will come out much better than these prototypes. But like any high volume production of characters, everyone has the option to buy just the ones they want or collect'em all. I think everyone wins in the end.

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by jayraytee
            Just adding my 2 cents to the debate, but I think sometimes what ruffles people's feathers is not what someone says but how they say it. People don't like it when other people speak for them, or assume they know what another person feels. So like on the original post, "No one else will say it. So I will." implies something about other people, that they feel the same or that they are afraid to speak up. I doubt invisiblelad really meant anything by it. It would be the same in revearse, what if someone posted that they were speaking for everyone when they say "We all love everything about the line!" Some people would probably speak up and disagree strongly as well.
            1. VinMan started this thread. Not invisiblelad. Not Vinny0026. I find it mildly amusing that this continues to be a source of confusion.

2. "No one else will say it. So I will." You guys have a very different reading of that phrase than I do. I took it as Vin voicing his opinion. And that he even qualified it by saying that he may be in the minority here. But then again, I have the benefit of knowing the guy from his participation on the Museum over the past couple years... without context, I can understand how others might have taken it differently.

3. There is a thread like "We all love everything about the line!". It is Player's "I think it's awesome how many people are excited about the FTC figures" thread. And nobody has felt the need to post in that thread about how they don't love FTC. And if people derailed that thread with their negative comments, I would be condemning that too.

Comment

• Toystasher
              • Jul 18, 2014

I'm glad to see this discussion happening. I am and always will be a fan of the original Mego figures and I love the fact that so many others feel the same way, but part of what made the original Mego line great was all of the playsets and vehicles. They created options for play. As I I've seen expressed here before, these are not statutes, they are action figure toys. Toys are meant to be played with. This lack of playsets and vehicles has been going on in the toy industry for a really long time now. When companies do produce them, they are generally unimaginative, low-quality, and/or outrageously expensive. I would like to see FTC produce at least one playset, and I'm hoping it will be the Hall of Justice. At least with that playset, there aren't a lot of small plastic parts to raise the cost of production and people can use the playset to display their figures as well, but then what to do with all of the villains? I think if FTC does make a Hall of Justice, it's time for a Legion of Doom playset based on the Super Friends cartoon. This would be an appropriate and desirable counter-part.

It saddens me that FTC has been restricted to producing a Batmobile that only has non-rolling wheels. That does little to spark any kids imagination. This probably isn't the right forum for this discussion, but anyway........

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                One eyed, wonder
                • Dec 17, 2009

The problem with the title, is easily over looked. Simply change the word 'will' to 'has' in ones own mind, and it's not so challenging to other opinions.
                Just like I do, when player tells me what I "need" to do. 'Should' would have sounded so much better.

Comment

• scott metzger
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 9, 2007

I have to admit, the new reveals are a mixed bag. The Tarzan females were a surprise, not at all what I was picturing, but that may be because of the source material they chose. From the Conan line, Solomon Kane brings up the big problem I'm seeing: bloated noggins. And for me, that's a big problem, as it goes to the heart of one of Mego's major appeal's to me. I’ve always maintained that the Mego figures themselves (type 2), when put in a well-fitting costume, are about the closest you are going to get to what a super-hero would look like in the real world. And a big part of that is that the body proportions are very good, head included. Now, there are a handful of figures, like ChiPs, Dobey, Huggy Bear and Daisy Duke who had huge heads, but they were the vast minority. For me, almost nothing destroys the whole look of a Mego-esque figure than when that disproportion is present.

I was thrilled to hear about original series Galactica figures coming out in 8”scale, as I love the old show, and the chance to get an 8” Loren Green or a wonderful baddie like John Colicos in Mego scale was intoxicating. Then I saw the horrible, bloated heads on bodies half the size they needed to be, and I never picked up a single figure. This was a property I really would love to have in this style, and I could not waste the money on what was being presented. I waited decades for a Mego scaled Steve Austin in all his bionic glory, and I’m still waiting. I can get a 9” scaled Austin head on an 8” body, but that’ not what I wanted.

You’re going to be hard pressed to find someone who wants what FTC is trying to do more than I, but the huge head on Bizarro ruins what is otherwise a good figure. And, in my experience, there has never been an 8” retro figure shown from any company to date where a huge head has suddenly shrunk to proper proportions in production. It did not happen with Alfred, we have a packaged shot showing it didn’t happen with Egghead, and there is no rational reason I can see to expect it to happen here. The thought of having this happen to figures I’ve wanted in real Mego form since I was playing with the toys as a kid makes me antsy; I don’t want Green Lantern and Flash especially to look like they need to make an appointment with a witch doctor for some cerebral shrinkage. Korak shows that the new heads CAN be done in the proper scale and look really good; I’m hoping that’s a sign of things to come, but I do worry. Two of the three sets revealed have macro vinyl encephalitis on at least one figure, and that isn’t a great ratio.
                  I’m definitely in FTC’s corner here, and I want to see them succeed. But they won’t do that if folks don’t speak up when something is wrong, and I’m fairly sure they actually want to hear that feedback rather than have everyone remain silent, leaving them to wonder why their sales are going down. Folks are posting over on their Facebook page about Bizarro’s noggin, so I’m hoping they do hear and do deal with the problem for the future. I imagine it’s too late for Superman’s backwards duplicate, but being aware that folks aren’t happy with this figure is the first step toward FTC keeping it from happening again…

Comment

• jeffbearco
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 27, 2011

There was never a lot of hope that I would get anything but the DC Superheroes line.

Tarzan looks like a direct translation of the original Mego figure. That being said, it does look like the improved it by making the body suit separate. To me that is an improvement. Jane is OK. I could see that popular with customerizers. Korak is my favorite of that line. I hope the Superboy head sculpt is as good. Meriem is a complete loss for me.

The Conan line is a complete loss for me. The heads look HUGE and the costumes look like they were scrambled together from pre-existing items. They could be drug out for Halloween but not for much else.

The Superman line... Well Superman as a direct translation is OK. Not great. The costume looks baggy. Supergirl is OK as a direct translation. The costume fits better than Superman's. I'll order her, but I'll buy red boots and maybe even make a red skirt to go over the shorts. Bizarro... lives up to his name. The poor fit of the costume kinda fits the character but yes, the head is a little too big. I'll give it a maybe. Myx is probably my favorite. They did a huge fix for him by putting him on a smaller body. And the head sculpt is actually pretty good as a direct translation. Still not one of my favorite characters though so still a maybe.

I think they set the bar pretty high with the 66 figures. I still have a lot of hopes for that line continuing as well as more Neal Adams figures.

I'll probably wait on Superman and hope they do a 2 pack of Superman and Clark Kent. The next wave I've heard of with Ras, Commissioner Gordon and Scarecrow sound good. I still have a lot of hopes for DC and FTC.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• nubee
                      Career Member
                      • Feb 15, 2010

Originally posted by scott metzger
                      I have to admit, the new reveals are a mixed bag. The Tarzan females were a surprise, not at all what I was picturing, but that may be because of the source material they chose. From the Conan line, Solomon Kane brings up the big problem I'm seeing: bloated noggins. And for me, that's a big problem, as it goes to the heart of one of Mego's major appeal's to me. I’ve always maintained that the Mego figures themselves (type 2), when put in a well-fitting costume, are about the closest you are going to get to what a super-hero would look like in the real world. And a big part of that is that the body proportions are very good, head included. Now, there are a handful of figures, like ChiPs, Dobey, Huggy Bear and Daisy Duke who had huge heads, but they were the vast minority. For me, almost nothing destroys the whole look of a Mego-esque figure than when that disproportion is present.

I was thrilled to hear about original series Galactica figures coming out in 8”scale, as I love the old show, and the chance to get an 8” Loren Green or a wonderful baddie like John Colicos in Mego scale was intoxicating. Then I saw the horrible, bloated heads on bodies half the size they needed to be, and I never picked up a single figure. This was a property I really would love to have in this style, and I could not waste the money on what was being presented. I waited decades for a Mego scaled Steve Austin in all his bionic glory, and I’m still waiting. I can get a 9” scaled Austin head on an 8” body, but that’ not what I wanted.

You’re going to be hard pressed to find someone who wants what FTC is trying to do more than I, but the huge head on Bizarro ruins what is otherwise a good figure. And, in my experience, there has never been an 8” retro figure shown from any company to date where a huge head has suddenly shrunk to proper proportions in production. It did not happen with Alfred, we have a packaged shot showing it didn’t happen with Egghead, and there is no rational reason I can see to expect it to happen here. The thought of having this happen to figures I’ve wanted in real Mego form since I was playing with the toys as a kid makes me antsy; I don’t want Green Lantern and Flash especially to look like they need to make an appointment with a witch doctor for some cerebral shrinkage. Korak shows that the new heads CAN be done in the proper scale and look really good; I’m hoping that’s a sign of things to come, but I do worry. Two of the three sets revealed have macro vinyl encephalitis on at least one figure, and that isn’t a great ratio.
                      I’m definitely in FTC’s corner here, and I want to see them succeed. But they won’t do that if folks don’t speak up when something is wrong, and I’m fairly sure they actually want to hear that feedback rather than have everyone remain silent, leaving them to wonder why their sales are going down. Folks are posting over on their Facebook page about Bizarro’s noggin, so I’m hoping they do hear and do deal with the problem for the future. I imagine it’s too late for Superman’s backwards duplicate, but being aware that folks aren’t happy with this figure is the first step toward FTC keeping it from happening again…
                      Well said and thanks.

I'm still going to get Conan and Kull and that is only because I still have two ZICA bodies (not the Type S) laying around. Since the bodies are slightly bigger, the heads would be more in proportion.

Comment

• madmarva
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jul 7, 2007

Originally posted by jeffbearco
                        There was never a lot of hope that I would get anything but the DC Superheroes line.

Tarzan looks like a direct translation of the original Mego figure. That being said, it does look like the improved it by making the body suit separate. To me that is an improvement. Jane is OK. I could see that popular with customerizers. Korak is my favorite of that line. I hope the Superboy head sculpt is as good. Meriem is a complete loss for me.

The Conan line is a complete loss for me. The heads look HUGE and the costumes look like they were scrambled together from pre-existing items. They could be drug out for Halloween but not for much else.

The Superman line... Well Superman as a direct translation is OK. Not great. The costume looks baggy. Supergirl is OK as a direct translation. The costume fits better than Superman's. I'll order her, but I'll buy red boots and maybe even make a red skirt to go over the shorts. Bizarro... lives up to his name. The poor fit of the costume kinda fits the character but yes, the head is a little too big. I'll give it a maybe. Myx is probably my favorite. They did a huge fix for him by putting him on a smaller body. And the head sculpt is actually pretty good as a direct translation. Still not one of my favorite characters though so still a maybe.

I think they set the bar pretty high with the 66 figures. I still have a lot of hopes for that line continuing as well as more Neal Adams figures.

I'll probably wait on Superman and hope they do a 2 pack of Superman and Clark Kent. The next wave I've heard of with Ras, Commissioner Gordon and Scarecrow sound good. I still have a lot of hopes for DC and FTC.

JeffBearCO
                        I don't know about anyone else but every Mego Tarzan I've ever had the loin cloth is separate from the body suit. The first thing I did as a kid was take the bodysuit off a put the loincloth back on.

I know this is totally subjective, but mego Tarzan's loincloth is made to look like leopard print and is vastly better looking to me than the FTC Tarzan loin cloth, which looks more like a lame attempt a camouflage.

Comment

• melkorjunior
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Apr 20, 2014

Originally posted by madmarva
                          I don't know about anyone else but every Mego Tarzan I've ever had the loin cloth is separate from the body suit. The first thing I did as a kid was take the bodysuit off a put the loincloth back on.

I know this is totally subjective, but mego Tarzan's loincloth is made to look like leopard print and is vastly better looking to me than the FTC Tarzan loin cloth, which looks more like a lame attempt a camouflage.
                          That's why I'm giving him Korak's undies. And a buff body so he looks as muscular as Tarzan should.

Comment

• jayraytee
                            Career Member
                            • May 27, 2011

Originally posted by sprytel
                            1. VinMan started this thread. Not invisiblelad. Not Vinny0026. I find it mildly amusing that this continues to be a source of confusion.

2. "No one else will say it. So I will." You guys have a very different reading of that phrase than I do. I took it as Vin voicing his opinion. And that he even qualified it by saying that he may be in the minority here. But then again, I have the benefit of knowing the guy from his participation on the Museum over the past couple years... without context, I can understand how others might have taken it differently.

3. There is a thread like "We all love everything about the line!". It is Player's "I think it's awesome how many people are excited about the FTC figures" thread. And nobody has felt the need to post in that thread about how they don't love FTC. And if people derailed that thread with their negative comments, I would be condemning that too.
                            I made a mistake, thought I went back to the original post, guess I didn't.

But on number 2, the "No one else will say it. So I will." to me seems to imply that everyone is thinking the same thing, just not saying it as he is. I men contextually, you have to ask why no one else is saying it... either they don't agree or they are afraid to speak up. If they don't agree and the poster nows that, there's no point in phrasing it like that. So the implication is that he is voicing what they won't. It may not be what he meant, but thats how it comes across in that connotation.

On number 3, I see a huge difference between "We all love everything about the line!" and "I think it's awesome how many people are excited about the FTC figures"..... the first one assumes the role of speaking everyones opinion and the second one is stating a view of an unnamed number of people's opinion. Again, its scemantics and a lot gets misunderstood in text, especially if people have different ways of expressing themselves.

There are a number of people excited about the FTC figures, the evidence being that they are selling out. Thats awesome. It will encourage more figures and more figures will encoruage higher quality. Which is what we all want. But even saying that, I am not saying that everyone is excited about the figures or that everyone loves them.
                            My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• scott metzger
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by madmarva
                              Me, too. I thought he looked better even on the type 1 body without the bodysuit.

I was looking forward to seeing some of the non-super stuff. I guess I had Jane pictured in a jungle girl outfit rather than the tattered clothes, so that was a little jarring. Son of Tarzan was a surprise, and a pleasant one, as I think he turned out quite well. As for the Conan set, Kull looks okay, though the head could have been a little, I don't know, tougher looking. Solomon Kane really misses the boat, though. In his case, the big head is a major problem. A big part of the look is the huge hat, sort of the pilgrim equivalent of Batman's 40 foot cape; the big head overwhelms the hat, completely ruining the desired effect. If anything, his head should have been a bit undersized to emphasize that element a little more.

Comment

• megoscott
                                Founding Partner
                                • Nov 17, 2006

I promised I'd let you know what my son thinks of Alfred's head.

No complaints!

image-214305065.jpg

Myself....ennnnh....

image-3603956759.jpg

Maybe a little forced perspective...he's a background character, leave him in the background....

image-310726725.jpg
                                Attached Files
                                This profile is no longer active.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎