Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayraytee
    Career Member
    • May 27, 2011

Yeah I agree, I think someone at FTC just thought it was interesting and posted it. I think FTC is a different animal than Mattel or Hasbro, so the comparrison to what Mattel or Hasbro might do or not do doesn't really apply. And just because DC themselves wouldn't 'promote' marvel characters and Marvel wouldn't 'promote' DC characters, doesn't mean a smaller licensee might not mention on facebook some article about comic heroes they are not producing. I think the FTC guys are 'fan' guys themselves and probably just thought it was interesting to see how far off the movie costumes are sometimes from the comic ones.
    My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

All of the social marketing points make sense, except they're not promoting anything. It's a third-hand link to a graphic making an odd comparison. What's the relevancy between the two? It's like comparing Nolan Batman to Batman Animated. You had two totally different teams involved. So I don't see the point by the original creator, or FTC, unless FTC is trying to draw attention to the distinctive differences.

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
        • Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by hedrap
        All of the social marketing points make sense, except they're not promoting anything. It's a third-hand link to a graphic making an odd comparison. What's the relevancy between the two? It's like comparing Nolan Batman to Batman Animated. You had two totally different teams involved. So I don't see the point by the original creator, or FTC, unless FTC is trying to draw attention to the distinctive differences.
        If FTC is planning on doing something with X-Men it makes sense. Before the first Batman 66 series came out, most of their updates were about the Batman TV series. Because they wanted people to relive/remember how much they loved the series, and maybe it would help convince them to buy the figures.

The 'product' that FTC is selling isn't really the figures, it's our childhood.

Comment

• ovenmitt
          Persistent Member
          • May 26, 2009

I am HUNGRY for Mego 8" X-Men figures, we haven't had any since Toy Biz Famous Covers which did a good job on X-Men!

Like I said 2015 is 40th anniversary of 1975 New X-Men from Giant-Size X-Men #1 which I recently bought a metal sign repro of the cover! That's my favorite X-Men era Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne after Byrne left X-Men lost focus. Perfect for 70s Mego era!

I'd even settle for Jim Lee costumes from 90s X-Men cartoon which I loved! What was with Cyclops POUCHES? Jean Grey's colors are green/yellow! Rogue's jacket is so 90s and Storm's white bodysuit took away her sexiness! And Wolverine's brown/orange colors are more natural for Logan instead of BRIGHT YELLOW!

I still think FTC is hinting something's amiss!

Comment

• madmarva
            Talkative Member
            • Jul 7, 2007

Originally posted by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
            Check DC's FB page and see if they are promoting Spidey and Wolverine to their readers or Batman and Superman. Come on, man.

Odds are someone just shared the update cause they read the article, thought it was cool, and shared it. End of story.
            You are missing the point. DC's social marketing is just as behind as Marvel's. What I said is that DC could use a more forward-thinking social marketing plan than Marvel because it is behind. Marvel won't change it's operations until ground is lost. Both companies view social marketing as just another method of marketing. But social marketing can be more than just talking at consumers, which is what traditional marketing does.

When companies use social marketing to its fullest, they enter into a conversation with their consumers to listen and learn from them. Neither Marvel nor DC really want to listen to fans' opinions. They feel like consumers really don't know what they want, and there is some degree of truth to that on a certain level, but that is closed thinking. Both companies just keep serving the same porridge until it stops selling. They aren't as concerned with improving their product as they are with repeating the tried and true until sales dip enough for them to have to react.

Your point that the poster who placed the comparison on Facebook just because they thought it was cool is valid. It actually is the same point I made about engaging consumer interest.

What can be learned from the feedback on that post? Consumers' ideas about different iterations of characters. Is there interest in cartoon versions of characters, film versions. Which do customers favor. Is there enough interest to produce both. And likely a ton of other thing depending on posts that might be generated.

Whether it's a conscious plan by FTC or something that is just coming naturally to the company, it is using social media in an astute manner. Better than most. FTC is listening to consumers and that is very good for us. We have FTC's ear, and as long as it keeps listening, it will have a good shot at our dollars.
            Last edited by madmarva; Jun 29, '14, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by madmarva
              You are missing the point. DC's social marketing is just as behind as Marvel's
              Marvel and DC's social media marketing might be behind, but it's not because they aren't using FB to promote each other.

"Whether it's a conscious plan by FTC or something that is just coming naturally to the company, it is using social media in an astute manner. Better than most. FTC is listening to consumers and that is very good for us. We have FTC's ear, and as long as it keeps listening, it will have a good shot at our dollars."

Yes they are, the behind-the-scenes pics from the factories are brilliant and wonderful use of social media.

And if they want to learn what consumers think of different iterations of characters, they can and should do it on characters they own the licenses to. As all smart companies do.

Comment

• madmarva
                Talkative Member
                • Jul 7, 2007

Again you miss the point. A company with a smart social marketing plan wants consumers thoughts not only on its products but also the competitions to make improvements on its own products. The old fear of mentioning the competition ( not promoting) is out the window. The difference is there is no monetary cost to social marketing. Now a company would not want to purchase ad space or time and mention the competition in most situations but the conversation on Facebook or from message boards is free. The whole idea of not acknowledging a competitor is petty and frankly condescending to consumers. Just because something is traditional doesn't make it right for every situation.

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by ovenmitt
                  I am HUNGRY for Mego 8" X-Men figures, we haven't had any since Toy Biz Famous Covers which did a good job on X-Men!

I'd even settle for Jim Lee costumes from 90s X-Men cartoon which I loved! What was with Cyclops POUCHES?

I'd hardly call that settling, the Jim Lee costumes were AWESOME! I hadn't enjoyed X-Men that much since the Byrne era, which I would also love to see some Mego's based on Byrne's artwork(not Cockrum).
                  sigpic

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Again you miss the point. A company with a smart social marketing plan wants consumers thoughts not only on its products but also the competitions to make improvements on its own products. The old fear of mentioning the competition ( not promoting) is out the window. The difference is there is no monetary cost to social marketing. Now a company would not want to purchase ad space or time and mention the competition in most situations but the conversation on Facebook or from message boards is free. The whole idea of not acknowledging a competitor is petty and frankly condescending to consumers. Just because something is traditional doesn't make it right for every situation.
                    FTC can do all that without mentioning characters associated with a license that they do not own. The idea today is that you gain credibility by not RUNNING DOWN the competition. There's no need too, just like there's no need to promote the competition when you could be promoting your own products.

As for the thought that social media is 'free', sorry but you could not be more wrong. I battle this misconception every day and it drives me up a wall.

I have been advising brands for 8 years on how to use social media to create content that best creates value for its customers, and I've written a pretty popular book on the topic. I'd like to think I know what I am talking about here.
                    Last edited by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide; Jun 30, '14, 8:00 AM.

Comment

• jayraytee
                      Career Member
                      • May 27, 2011

I think everyone is reading too much into it. I think it was just something the person that runs the FTC facebook saw and thought was interesting and posted it to facebook. I think that is all that was behind it. I don't think it had anything to do with marketing anything. May not of even been to gather consumer feelings on products either. It legitimately could of been as simple as hey look at this article. Especially considering they are producing Batman 66 (TV) and Batman (comic) Mego reproductions at the same time. So the article might of just interested them and thought it might interest others.
                      My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• madmarva
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jul 7, 2007

If the competition is never brought into the conversation, it is difficult to learn what consumers like and do not like about the products you are competing against. The information is also unfiltered. Survey's are costly and the questions are usually rigid. The way a question is asked can often lead a consumer so the validity of the information can be suspect. Knowing a customer is satisfied or unsatisfied with a product is good information, but knowing why is much better and more useful. Also, I'm not suggesting making the competition a tent pole of a company's social media efforts. I am simply saying the fear of mentioning or using the competition for your own means in social marketing is outdated thinking. Learning about the competition is merely an aspect of the conversation not the entirety of it.

Mentioning Marvel characters in one post isn't going to greatly help or hurt FTC, but it could provide the company with some useful bit of information. There is a fishing aspect to social media. Sometimes you catch something, sometimes you don't. There is a short- and long-game aspect to it that need to be mastered to make the most out of social media efforts.

Saying social media is free was wrong. It does cost the commitment of man power and possibly some equipment. It can't be thrown on top of one person who already has too much to do, and upper management must recognize the benefit that can be gained by stepping out of the box, but it does not cost what traditional marketing and advertising do. Setting up blogs, Facebook pages, twitter and Other accounts are free. Employees can do this for themselves and often find it a fun escape from their regular order of business. Some are resistant to the process, but every employee or manager does not have to be involved in social media for it to be effective.

I would like to read your book. What's the title or could you post a link to it on Amazon?

The ideas you have mentioned in this thread seem to be just transferring traditional marketing to new medium, but I understand not wanting to give the best ideas of your book away on a message board. Used to its fullest extent, social media can be more than just getting the message out or protecting a brand. That can be hard to relate to key decision makers.
                        Last edited by madmarva; Jun 30, '14, 8:52 AM.

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

nt....
                          Last edited by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide; Jul 2, '14, 9:15 PM.

Comment

• madmarva
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jul 7, 2007

Again mentioning and discussing the competition is not promoting. You are suggesting using social platforms for traditional marketing. Certainly, those platforms can help with that. I'm not suggesting that traditional marketing should not be included in a social marketing strategy, but I am suggesting that if that strategy does not include the component of listening and engaging your consumers about your own product and the competitors' products through chats, forums, blogs, Facebook, Twitter and other relavant social platforms to learn what consumers think of both, then that strategy is not maximizing the opportunity.

I do look forward to at least scanning your book in a book store if not purchasing it. I'll take a good idea anywhere I can get it.

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Again mentioning and discussing the competition is not promoting. You are suggesting using social platforms for traditional marketing.
                              Sigh. Ok then.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                                Wake Up Heavy
                                • Jan 31, 2010

How is showing a picture of costume comparisons "promoting the other guy"? There is no Marvel 8" line to go up against at this point, and the EMCE stuff is so limited that it's not going to warrant much competition in the market as it is. And FTC hasn't asked for suggestions on costumes up to this point, why would they start now, on a license they most likely don't even have?

There are no toys in the pictures. It's a comic related link from a company that is interested in the comics universe. I think all it really shows is how colorful the cartoon costumes are vs. the black/grey "armor" of nearly EVERY movie X-Men costume.
                                Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎