Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fatsal
    • May 6, 2014

Originally posted by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
    Maybe I am calling the wrong one the 'Pirate' outfit, the blue-themed outfit always looked much more like a pirate than the pale purple one. But the version on the cardback for Wave 3 is different from the one released in Wave 2.
    That looks like a swipe from the cover of Batman #210, which is the same issue Mego swiped from for their Catwoman art. I think that's supposed to represent Wave 2 Catwoman. They did include both the "pirate" Catowman and the classic purple/green dress on the cardback for the My Face on a Figure, so here's hoping if there's another Selina, that's the one we get.

[img]http://files1.comics.org//img/gcd/covers_by_id/2/w400/2672.jpg?7420444814474910834[/img]

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1.0-9/10303778_633413220085728_7676592622243013800_n.jpg[/img]

[img]https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1380232_689100731128138_122992995_n.jpg[/img]

Comment

• fatsal
      • May 6, 2014

Originally posted by melkorjunior
      How do we know that's Adams Batman on the card back? Couldn't that illustration just be referring to the Batman figure already released? Other than Poison Ivy, it looks to me like all of those illustrations represent either straight Mego reproductions (like Batgirl and Catwoman) or figures we already know about (Gordon, Alfred.) The art is just standard DC style-guide art, I would think.
      I agree. I think it's just meant to represent Wave 1 Batman, although I think they should use the 60's short ear art for that Batman. While it drives my modern sensibilities nuts, there is something very Mego-esque about the randomness and inconsistency in FTC's use of comic art, so far.

Comment

• jeffbearco
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 27, 2011

I"m very eager to see that Wave 4. Plus I'll probably get Alfred once I get in! I'd love to see an Adams version of Batgirl as well as Catwoman.

Cautiously optimistic. hehehe

JeffBearCO

Comment

• ovenmitt
          Persistent Member
          • May 26, 2009

I pre-ordered a CASE (3 sets) of Batman Series 3 as I did ALL other DC and Batman TV waves and I CANNOT wait for RC Batman, RM Robin, BATGIRL, and NEW Alfred! I turned 44 this year Megos were my 1st superhero figures over 40 YEARS ago and FTC just keeps making it better! I like art on back of Batman 3 cards, wish I could see front art. Shouldn't RC Batman's card be PINK because he sold in pink box in 1972! POISON IVY! Keep new Bat villians coming! Now give us a SUPERMAN wave, FTC!

*Tonner today release a photo of its 17" Adam West Batman doll with RC and West likeness which is off. FTC said it will make 18" DC and Batman TV figures and I will wait to see them!

Comment

• fatsal
            • May 6, 2014

Having scratched my itch for a Mego-style Batman, an Adams/Aparo version is super high on my list. Molded rubber gloves, suitably grim facial expression, smaller comic-accurate Bat-symbol and white eyes are a must.

Of course, that'll just make me want an Aparo Joker to go with it...

[img]http://www.comics101.com/archives/comics101/images/2005/aug3/joker.jpg[/img]

Comment

• melkorjunior
              Museum Super Collector
              • Apr 20, 2014

I think Mego absolutely nailed the Joker with their original sculpt. With the TV show Joker out now too, I'd prefer it if we saw no more Jokers until lots of new characters are produced. we obviously need more and better Batman figures, but the Jokers we already have from FTC are perfect.

Here are some Batman villains we need that haven't been announced:

Catwoman in a non-ridiculous outfit

Clayface from the Englehart/Rogers era (with the glass helmet on his head holding his face together)

Mr. Freeze as long as they don't pick an outfit that looks like Captain Cold

Man-Bat

Mad Hatter (the funky looking comic version is far superior to the boring TV show version)

Hugo Strange

I'd want all of these before we get another Joker...especially Clayface! I think he'd make an awesome Mego.

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
                • Feb 27, 2014

How do we know that's Adams Batman on the card back? Couldn't that illustration just be referring to the Batman figure already released? Other than Poison Ivy, it looks to me like all of those illustrations represent either straight Mego reproductions (like Batgirl and Catwoman) or figures we already know about (Gordon, Alfred.) The art is just standard DC style-guide art, I would think.

Really happy about Poison Ivy, but if she has one of those baby face doll-like sculpts that Mego specialized in with the women in the superhero line then count me out. And I doubt this will happen but a new female body with some curves and without a giraffe neck would be great.
                FTC has stated that Batman Wave 4 will have a '70s' Batman, and we are speculating it will be modeled after Adams' Batman.

I certainly hope so, I honestly hated Jim Aparo's Batman, he was a poor man's Irv Novick IMO.

Comment

• Mego Milk
                  Custom Mego Maker
                  • Jun 3, 2007

looks like vinyl capes.

Comment

• melkorjunior
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Apr 20, 2014

I'm all in for a 70's style Batman. Long horns, white eyes, darker colors. Longer cape. No oven mitts. No smile on his face, obviously. But I think you're wrong about Aparo--for me he was one of the definitive Batman artists and I actually rate his version right up there with Adams. And anyway I don't think we could really tell the difference between an Adams Batman figure and an Aparo Batman figure. Aparo's version always seemed like it was modeled after Adams.

Comment

• fatsal
                      • May 6, 2014

I think Mego absolutely nailed the Joker with their original sculpt. With the TV show Joker out now too, I'd prefer it if we saw no more Jokers until lots of new characters are produced. we obviously need more and better Batman figures, but the Jokers we already have from FTC are perfect...I'd want all of these before we get another Joker...especially Clayface! I think he'd make an awesome Mego.
                      Oh I agree, we need more villains and I want new characters before re-hashes. I second the Preston Payne Clayface...the coolest of the bunch IMO.

And yes, the Mego Joker is pretty much spot-on, but if they were looking for a fun way to refresh him somewhere down the line, an Adams/Aparo Joker would be most welcome in my collection.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 26, 2009

Yes we need Neal Adams Batman definitive look!

Any Dick Dillin fans? He was definitive Silver/Bronze Age JLA artist!

And Jose Delbo 1970s Wonder Woman artist who came closest to making WW resemble Lynda Carter! I want a FTC TV Wonder Woman figure with Lynda's likeness and a Delbo WW wouldn't hurt either!

Comment

• jeffbearco
                          Persistent Member
                          • Mar 27, 2011

Just looking at pictures, it looks like the 66 Batman and Robin figures have a LOT of parts that can be reused for the Adams versions. Basically they would need new head sculpts for each and switch Batman's belt back to the original Mego and be about ready to go. The same could be said for Joker.

They have done a really great job on costuming for all 3!

JeffBearCO

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
                            • Feb 27, 2014

I'm all in for a 70's style Batman. Long horns, white eyes, darker colors. Longer cape. No oven mitts. No smile on his face, obviously. But I think you're wrong about Aparo--for me he was one of the definitive Batman artists and I actually rate his version right up there with Adams. And anyway I don't think we could really tell the difference between an Adams Batman figure and an Aparo Batman figure. Aparo's version always seemed like it was modeled after Adams.
                            I know a lot of people liked him but I always hated his version of Batman. The only one that was worse for me was Gene Colan.

Adams was the master, but after him Marshall Rogers and Don Newton were excellent, Irv Novick was good too. Several artists worked just a few Batman issues but did a great job, such as Michael Golden, Walt Simonson, John Calnan. Also thought Dan Jurgens did an excellent job on Batman in 359, wish he'd done more work there.

But good grief between Aparo in Batman and Colan in Detective.....made me appreciate Don Newton's work even more.

Comment

• fatsal
                              • May 6, 2014

Originally posted by jeffbearco
                              Just looking at pictures, it looks like the 66 Batman and Robin figures have a LOT of parts that can be reused for the Adams versions. Basically they would need new head sculpts for each and switch Batman's belt back to the original Mego and be about ready to go.
                              Personally, I'm hoping they use the brighter, comic colors of the Mego figs for the Adams versions vs. the '66 palette. I love four-color gaudiness!

Comment

• onoman
                                • Oct 24, 2013

I second this! Aparo was the man!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎