X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huedell
    Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
    Exactly! FTC has to release figures that will SELL to the broader market, not the 5 obscure figures that some MM members want cause no other line has made them yet.

People want Batman characters and Superman characters. That's 90% of the market right there. That's why the majority of the 'new' figures you see over the next year or two will likely be Batman or Superman characters. Because they are the more easily recognizable and the more bankable. Even a character like Hawkman that almost everyone here wants need to be in a wave with other more 'mainstream' characters in order to sell.

The diehards are the ones that want the Legionaires and the obscure villains that the casual collector has never heard of. That's not what you start a line with, that's what you END it with.
    Well... that makes sense.

THIS is how I would've started the line (as shown above):
    WAVE ONE: Batman, Robin, Joker, Penguin
    WAVE TWO: Riddler, "Pirate" Catwoman, Commissioner James Gordon, Scarecrow
    WAVE THREE: RC Batman, RM Robin, Mr. Freeze, Ra's Al Ghul
    WAVE FOUR: Superman, Bizarro, Batgirl, Two Face
    WAVE FIVE: Supergirl, Jimmy Olsen, Lex Luthor, Brainiac,
    WAVE SIX: AE Bruce Wayne, AE Dick Grayson, "Purple Dress" Catwoman, Alfred Pennyworth
    I think the only difference between what *you're* saying and what *I* proposed from the start (way before this particular thread), is that my choices have more "pop" than FTC's choices (and still address your provisions), and are not "different" than your provisions either.

Batman characters? Check.
    Superman characters. Check.
    Easily recognizable. Check.

"Everyone here" does NOT imagine that a character like Hawkman can be in a wave without other, more 'mainstream' characters early on. Not me anyway. I'm not unwise enough to pin a dream on such an unwise financial choice. But, more pertinently, I really wonder if *anyone* here really IS that unsophisticated? Personally, I went so far as to make a wave release list to diagram how I see a character like Hawkman let into the line. I can't see how much clearer I could be. But, I don't think that aspect is that important, really, because, as said already, I don't think anyone wants a Hawkman-type centered wave of releases. Four JLAers 11 waves in? (WAVE ELEVEN: Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Martian Manhunter, Black Canary) Sure. But by that time, I could see the line ending... I'd be fine with that, cause the character selection would have been better distributed in my personal opinion. 4 years and 46 characters is good enough for me... I wouldn't even mind only three waves a year with my way of release, but I said that already. Truth is though, I'd even have handled a slower release with a first four wave plan like: w1. Batman, Robin, Joker, Penguin w.2 Riddler, "Pirate" Catwoman, Commissioner James Gordon, Scarecrow w.3 RC Batman, RM Robin, Mr. Freeze, Ra's Al Ghul w.3 Superman, Bizarro, Batgirl, Two Face
    Last edited by huedell; Apr 13, '14, 3:17 PM.
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
      • Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by huedell
      Well... that makes sense.

THIS is how I would've started the line (as shown above):

I think the only difference between what *you're* saying and what *I* proposed from the start (way before this particular thread), is that my choices have more "pop" than FTC's choices (and still address your provisions), and are not "different" than your provisions either.

Batman characters? Check.
      Superman characters. Check.
      Easily recognizable. Check.
      Yep, in the first 3 waves you are getting 8 of the 12 figures you wanted, and 3 of the 4 remaining are coming in the 4th wave. The only characters so far that I really haven't been that interested in were Bruce and Dick, but I bought them anyway. I think they should have waited and put Bruce and Dick in wave 5 or 6 with Clark and an AE Barbara Gordon.
      Last edited by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide; Apr 13, '14, 3:41 PM.

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

... I think they should have waited and put Bruce and Dick in wave 5 or 6 with Clark and an AE Barbara Gordon.
        I forgot about Babs and Clark AEs in my wave listing above... I'd have put them in with Aquaman and Manta in my "Wave 9" above... if not earlier. Those are pretty strong figures... both are recognizable... Clark is VERY recognizable---and Babs would be "new".

EDITED TO ADD: I actually re-edited my "Hypothetical Wave Release" list above to reflect Clark and Babs' inclusion. I even added two more waves.

I'm kind of obsessed over my imaginary list
        Last edited by huedell; Apr 13, '14, 4:45 PM.
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Vinny0026
          also keep in mind it is all about $$$
          Mattel did not see a good return so they shut the line. If CTV does not see a good return they will do the same. People are not in business to keep us happy

They are here to make money. If these figures sit around and do not move that is lost money. The goal is to sell out of everything you make.
          the longer something sits the more it costs you.
          Keep in mind that Mattel and CTVT/FTC have completely different business models, and are very different animals... it might not be a fair comparison with a company based primarily around the global mass market retail and evergreen brands like Hot Wheels and Barbie... primarily aimed at kids (although they do play to collectors as well with Matty).

CTVT is a smaller niche company geared almost entirely towards the nostalgic adult collector. Their volumes wouldn't come close to Mattel's requirements would it? History in the past dozen years shows that as a direct-to-consumer retailer via the internet, CTVT play out the "long-tail" model. They have a warehouse in Florida that they own right? Seems like they have generally been happy to sit on ReMego product as it sells gradually over the years, even parted out as custom bibs and bobs.

I don't think we'd ever see the mass liquidation of product that we saw with the Matty stuff once they pulled the plug. When the license is over for FTC, wouldn't you figure the remaining stockpile of inventory would be "transferred" over the CTVT website and continue to be warehoused and sold over time as with their previous licenses?

Wasn't their previous bread and butter was Wrestling (belt replicas?), but having lost the WWE license, they went all in on the DCU? Given the amount of product they need to produce and move to justify the upfront costs of the license, I can't see them pulling the plug anytime soon. There must be a sweet spot balance between milking this license for all it's worth and having a wide range of inventory to sell over the long haul.
          Last edited by samurainoir; Apr 13, '14, 10:08 PM.
          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• gummi
            Career Member
            • Dec 2, 2009

I received my Batman and Robin Two-Pack today, and it looks fantastic. Like others have said, the card art is the best part of these. It really pops in person, not to mention that the size of these is impressive. I'm actually glad that I only got the one; they will definitely take up some space in your display rooms.
            "Trying is the first step towards failure." - H. J. Simpson, 1997

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by gummi
              I received my Batman and Robin Two-Pack today, and it looks fantastic. Like others have said, the card art is the best part of these. It really pops in person, not to mention that the size of these is impressive. I'm actually glad that I only got the one; they will definitely take up some space in your display rooms.
              Got mine as well. After buying I had a bit of buyer's remorse since I already had both figures but man am I glad I got these. If you're on the fence you should definitely get them.

Comment

• gummi
                Career Member
                • Dec 2, 2009

Got mine as well. After buying I had a bit of buyer's remorse since I already had both figures but man am I glad I got these. If you're on the fence you should definitely get them.
                Yeah, I was debating about it myself, but I'm very glad that I decided to pull the trigger. This is actually the first repro WGSH item that I've purchased from FTC. I like the fact that the sets are numbered for the collectibility aspect as well.

Comment

• jeffbearco
                  Persistent Member
                  • Mar 27, 2011

I got my 2 pack, Bruce Wayne/Batman today. I wasn't that sure about ordering it, but since I have been asking for "secret identity" figures I felt like I had to. I'll say that I'm very impressed with how well the figures are put together. I hope they do sell well and justify continuing the 2 packs. I'd love to build a collection of just secret identity figures.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• pmwasson
                    Maker
                    • Sep 12, 2007

Are the two-packs resealable or glued on?
                    sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• gummi
                      Career Member
                      • Dec 2, 2009

Originally posted by pmwasson
                      Are the two-packs resealable or glued on?
                      Resealable, but you have to remove the FTC branded zip tie. I opened mine up just to reposition the figures. I used a small eyeglass screwdriver to slip in between the locking mechanism and the teeth on the tie, so I could remove it with no damage and reuse it when I was done.

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by gummi
                        Resealable, but you have to remove the FTC branded zip tie. I opened mine up just to reposition the figures. I used a small eyeglass screwdriver to slip in between the locking mechanism and the teeth on the tie, so I could remove it with no damage and reuse it when I was done.
                        I didn't open mine, so on yours how were the bodies? Just wondering if the bodies were as tightly strung as the previously released Wave 1 figures or if these bodies had been 'fixed'.

Comment

• jeffbearco
                          Persistent Member
                          • Mar 27, 2011

In asking what other figures I'd like to see in 2 packs, I'd say having the original figure along with a figure with the new 52 costumes would be really cool. It would show off just how far technology has changed and how much better Mego figures could look if they were still in business.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• rjm118
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Apr 25, 2012

very disapointed in the condition Cat Woman was in, her head was twisted around, her glove is off and Batmans extra logo is missing, just the bit of plastic it comes in.

for the price I paid i expected much better, especially since its numbered and I bought it to display only.

I wrote to FTC, so hopefully they will send me a new zip tie so I can open it and fix it or else it goes back.

Comment

• rjm118
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Apr 25, 2012

I have to say, customer service is great, they are sending out a new zip tie and BM logo taoday.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                                Persistent Member
                                • Aug 12, 2004

If they make 2-packs of Batman '66 with really nice artwork, I'd probably get those.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎