Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the FTC's Figures be exact replicas of the original Megos?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Figuremod73
    I checked the inflation calculator and $10 would be about right since a Mego would have been $1.97 in 1973.
    There is NO WAY, calculator or not, that these could be offered at $10. Marvel 3 3/4" figs are $10, DCUC 7" figs were $17--and those toys have increased production to offset costs. I think $20 would have been great for FTC, but we know that DC license didn't come cheap.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• bobws
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 13, 2008

Yes, costs keep these from selling like hotcakes. However keeping these looking like Mego's is okay for most of the ones Mego released, but Catwoman should have been given a better more comic or TV show outfit. Remaking that one was a waste of an opportunity to improve it. They can of coure make another different Catwoamn in a future wave is they ever go beyond Batman family.
      "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• dr_cyclops
        One eyed, wonder
        • Dec 17, 2009

Skipped the calculator, and used the old comicbook cover price of 1973 20 cents, compared to today's $4 cover price. I'm coming up with a price around $39. I think my old comic needs new batteries.

Comment

• jayraytee
          Career Member
          • May 27, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          There is NO WAY, calculator or not, that these could be offered at $10. Marvel 3 3/4" figs are $10, DCUC 7" figs were $17--and those toys have increased production to offset costs. I think $20 would have been great for FTC, but we know that DC license didn't come cheap.
          He was replying to me, and I said the same thing, there is no way they would be offered for $10. I was just saying if you wanted kids to buy them they would have to be. Its a problem, the costs of producing the figures is high, but Moms are not going to spend $20 a pop for a whole collection of figures. They might for one or two. When I was a kid, I had a whole collection of Megos, but they were pretty cheap even for the time. I had a whole collection of 1970s star wars figures, but again they were pretty cheap at the time. I only had one or two large size star wars figures because they were obviously more expensive. If they wanted to have new megos sell to kids at say walmart, I just don't believe it would work at $20 each... which ultimately means... it can't happen. We saw the death of famous covers and the mattel retro action... theres no reason to think these would do any better in the mass market. But, they will do fine in the collector market and at comic shops being sold to guys like us. Which is again the main reason they need to make them as nostalgically as close to the originals as possible without making them counterfeit originals.
          My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• tllgn
            Persistent Member
            • Feb 6, 2010

YES! i think they should be the same ,they sure bring back that feeling for us old guys ,and for those who feel otherwise ,well Figures could always
            do reimagined up to date type figures down the road ,and i would buy them also .

Comment

• Figuremod73
              That 80's guy
              • Jul 27, 2011

I really hope their successful enough to do a reimagined line although I would like a character like Hawkman sees the light of day first. Hope its long running.

I think the licenses have increased in value considerably since Burton Batman. Theres a reason why The Corps! figures are considerably cheaper than a Star Wars figures. I sometimes wish that wasnt the case though.

"Close enough for fun" sums it up perfectly.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎