Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any other NEW FTC licenses for 2014? Is Marvel Comics possible?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

I don't think Doc would have talked to Hasbro. Hasbro had a license to make toys, but Marvel holds the license.
    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

I'd like to say yeah and get on board but I'd rather take a wait and see approach first. I want to see how the rest of the DC stuff does first. Plus Tarzan and Conan. I don't want to see them get in over their head and have it all collapse.

Comment

• ovenmitt
        Persistent Member
        • May 26, 2009

I just called FTC today and asked iif any chance of Marvel Megos and the guy said "possibly, yes"!

I know FTC has pursued the Marvel license its just up to Disney now. What a Christmas and New Year gift that would be!

Comment

• Boywonder0
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 29, 2007

I'm sure that if we support their 8" offerings they will eventually get into Marvel figures...

Comment

• dr_cyclops
            One eyed, wonder
            • Dec 17, 2009

I know this guy who knows a guy who has sculpted some ok at best Marvel villains. Problem is, he's a cyclops, and we all know how 'nosy and opinionated' those types are.*

*Futurama.

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

I'll be competely honest here and say I'm a little 'licensed-out' at the moment. There is SOOOOO MUCH stuff coming out in 2014 from companies all over, the thought of wanting more at this stage seems like a bit of overkill. I might start thinking in that direction by this time next year. But between this Christmas' offerings and all this stuff just released or coming out next month (or in a few months), my satisfaction level is seated in a good place. Lots of new stuff to enjoy with more on the way. As Brian says so well, "We have an embarrassment of riches." And he's right. I'm going to sit back and soak it up for a spell. This is fun.

Comment

• Vinny0026
                Year Five!!
                • Jan 26, 2012

I would love to see them get the Marvel rights as well.

I think the bottom line really would be:
                one can CTV can afford to get the rights from Disney

And 2 does Disney want to compete with themselves?
                keep in mind they own Hasbro now -

So if they were sold on the idea these would be a hit - why not make it themselves?
                They do not need the rights since they already own them.

Just a thought. Again I would love to see someone make them.
                but as MIB41 mentioned - there is so much stuff coming out - its just hard to afford all of these items at the same time.

I'm just happy that Mego is some what back and if it is just DC for now - lets enjoy it and hope for more down the road.
                will be great to see my kids rip these open tomorrow and have fun with them!
                "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?"

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

they could afford WB's fees for DC and 66, and Gene Simmons for Kiss, so I don't see how they couldn't afford Marvel. Maybe getting marvel hinges on the Batman lines doing well, so they have the cash to reinvest in other lines.
                  Last edited by thunderbolt; Dec 24, '13, 5:40 AM.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                    they could afford WB's fees for DC and 66, and Gene Simmons for Kiss, so I don't see how they couldn't afford Marvel. Maybe getting marvel hinges on the Batman lines doing well, so they have the cash to reinvest in other lines.
                    Sounds "spot on" to me Joe!
                    sigpic

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by Vinny0026
                      I would love to see them get the Marvel rights as well.

I think the bottom line really would be:
                      one can CTV can afford to get the rights from Disney

So if they were sold on the idea these would be a hit - why not make it themselves?
                      They do not need the rights since they already own them.

Just a thought. Again I would love to see someone make them.
                      but as MIB41 mentioned - there is so much stuff coming out - its just hard to afford all of these items at the same time.

I'm just happy that Mego is some what back and if it is just DC for now - lets enjoy it and hope for more down the road.
                      will be great to see my kids rip these open tomorrow and have fun with them!
                      Don't believe Disney owns Hasbro. If they did,we would have seen a Disney Princesses and My Little Pony combo by now. That right there would make up for whatever price Disney pays for Hasbro.

Comment

• SciFiGuyLA
                        Museum Patron
                        • Feb 11, 2009

Originally posted by Vinny0026
                        Ummm.... no. There was a rumor that circulated briefly about a year ago that Disney was thinking about buying Hasbro, but nothing ever came of it. Perhaps you are thinking of Toy Biz, which was partially owned by Marvel back in the '90s. Hasbro remains independent, but did extend their Star Wars and Marvel licenses with Disney to the year 2020.

The very first question that needs to be answered is how comprehensive is Hasbro's Marvel license? Does it cover the Mego-style and scale? Some licenses can be very specific and some can be very comprehensive. If their Marvel license is a master toy license, for example, then it covers everything imaginable, including the 8" (1/9th scale) format.

The reason FTC can make the Retro Batman line is obviously because Mattel's current DC license does not include the 8" format, allowing them to buy a license for that format specifically from DC.

If Hasbro's Marvel license includes the 8" format, then it really doesn't matter what Marvel/Disney think of Mego-style toys. Hasbro would hold complete control of that style/format. All hope is not lost, however. Sideshow Collectables was able to negotiate a sub-license from Hasbro to allow them to produce their large scale, premium format Star Wars figures. So, conceivably, FTC could try to negotiate with Hasbro to sub-license the Marvel characters in the Mego style/format. Assuming Hasbro is open to the idea, it could be pricey, but still possible.

If Hasbro's license does not include the 8" format, then it is simply a matter of whether or not FTC can afford the licensing fee Disney is asking. I seriously doubt anyone in the Disney/Marvel organization would have any real opinion about this format one way or the other. It's likely just a simple business proposition from them. "You want a license to make a Marvel toy? No problem! That'll be <insert dollar amount here> please!!!"

My point is that it's not really a matter of whether or not Disney/Marvel will allow FTC make Marvel characters in the Mego-style. It's probably more of a matter of whether or not the license is available for that format and, if it is, whether or not FTC can afford it.

Personally, I would LOVE to see it happen, as I've always been more of a Marvel guy than a DC guy. On the other hand, MIB41 makes a great point. Too much can be a bad thing. My wallet is already screaming under the strain of what's available and what's coming. FTC needs to pace themselves or risk losing sells to those of us that don't have unlimited toy budgets.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                          That 80's guy
                          • Jul 27, 2011

My guess is its a matter of money since there are other Marvel formats like sideshow available. I'm almost certain that Hasbro has no interest in the 8'' cloth format because of DC's Golden Age from years ago. It sat in toystores for years along side the Toybiz Marvel figures. If hasbro did do it I would be very suprised.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                            One eyed, wonder
                            • Dec 17, 2009

While dreaming of what FTC or another company could do with the Marvel comics license, I do understand that this is the time for FTC to deliver on the huge undertaking they acquired.
                            Love the direction FTC is taking to the original WGSH with adding new characters, and scales. It's like they really considered all my requests.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 26, 2009

Something is brewing with FTC and Marvel, FTC is not replying to Facebook questions about Marvel. Might not be long until an announcement.

Comment

• Aricosaur
                                Museum Super Collector
                                • Jul 26, 2013

Originally posted by SciFiGuyLA
                                Ummm.... no. There was a rumor that circulated briefly about a year ago that Disney was thinking about buying Hasbro, but nothing ever came of it. Perhaps you are thinking of Toy Biz, which was partially owned by Marvel back in the '90s. Hasbro remains independent, but did extend their Star Wars and Marvel licenses with Disney to the year 2020.

The very first question that needs to be answered is how comprehensive is Hasbro's Marvel license? Does it cover the Mego-style and scale? Some licenses can be very specific and some can be very comprehensive. If their Marvel license is a master toy license, for example, then it covers everything imaginable, including the 8" (1/9th scale) format.

The reason FTC can make the Retro Batman line is obviously because Mattel's current DC license does not include the 8" format, allowing them to buy a license for that format specifically from DC.

If Hasbro's Marvel license includes the 8" format, then it really doesn't matter what Marvel/Disney think of Mego-style toys. Hasbro would hold complete control of that style/format. All hope is not lost, however. Sideshow Collectables was able to negotiate a sub-license from Hasbro to allow them to produce their large scale, premium format Star Wars figures. So, conceivably, FTC could try to negotiate with Hasbro to sub-license the Marvel characters in the Mego style/format. Assuming Hasbro is open to the idea, it could be pricey, but still possible.

If Hasbro's license does not include the 8" format, then it is simply a matter of whether or not FTC can afford the licensing fee Disney is asking. I seriously doubt anyone in the Disney/Marvel organization would have any real opinion about this format one way or the other. It's likely just a simple business proposition from them. "You want a license to make a Marvel toy? No problem! That'll be <insert dollar amount here> please!!!"

My point is that it's not really a matter of whether or not Disney/Marvel will allow FTC make Marvel characters in the Mego-style. It's probably more of a matter of whether or not the license is available for that format and, if it is, whether or not FTC can afford it.

Personally, I would LOVE to see it happen, as I've always been more of a Marvel guy than a DC guy. On the other hand, MIB41 makes a great point. Too much can be a bad thing. My wallet is already screaming under the strain of what's available and what's coming. FTC needs to pace themselves or risk losing sells to those of us that don't have unlimited toy budgets.
                                All good points. Hasbro may not have the 8-inch license because they don't automatically have the license to everything. I still think the main reason they bought Galoob in the late 90s was to get the micro-scale Star Wars license (which they then ran into the ground.).

And, as you pointed out with the Sideshow 12-inch, Hasbro will license to other toy companies. I've heard on this forum about how there will never be Super Joe remakes because Hasbro won't make them. But Hasbro gave Funko the license for vinyl figures of their in-house brands like G.I. Joe and My Little Pony. Maybe there's hope for some ReMego company to do Super Joe?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎