Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megojim
    Permanent Member
    • Oct 13, 2001

again I think my point is not understood . . . . . this has nothing to do with quality, delivery or anything to do with FTC . . . . .

it has EVERYTHING to do with multiple posts that could be interpreted as "life altering" due to disappointment with a TOY . . . . . . it's all realitive and maybe I'm reading too much into the postings but really, regardelss of the situation/reason are you going to get his upset over a toy?

sorry . . . I guess I shouldn't have even started this thing but all I wanted to point out is there are a lot of bad things going on in our world and we're compaining about a toy . . . . stop for a second . . . . take a look around . . . . be thankful you have a job and the money to spend on a toy . . . . . be thankful you have a place to come and discuss such . . . . be thankful that there are guys like Anthony that share our passion and back it up by producing figures we desire . . . . that's all
    Last edited by megojim; Sep 11, '13, 11:14 AM.
    My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• mego
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 16, 2012

By your logic, I might sit back and observe that I think it's ridiculous that you came to this website, entirely devoted to toys. Even though there are thousands of 'more important' websites to browse. Shouldn't you be reading articles about the economy or the Middle East?

Comment

• mego
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 16, 2012

I might also add that Figures is kinda sketchy and people are rightly skeptical. Business is business and people like to get what they paid for.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
          Moderation Engineer
          • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by mego
          By your logic, I might sit back and observe that I think it's ridiculous that you came to this website, entirely devoted to toys. Even though there are thousands of 'more important' websites to browse. Shouldn't you be reading articles about the economy or the Middle East?
          You said it. All this toy talk, and not a single thread about Khloe and Lamar. It's a little ridiculous that I need to jumper over to Yahoo to keep up with what's happening. Get it together Hampton!

Comment

• megojim
            Permanent Member
            • Oct 13, 2001

thanks steve . . . . . nuf' said
            My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
              You said it. All this toy talk, and not a single thread about Khloe and Lamar. It's a little ridiculous that I need to jumper over to Yahoo to keep up with what's happening. Get it together Hampton!
              Seems you misunderstood the dude's original post. He was just saying that if you come to a website to discuss toys, you're just as silly as those that get irritated over toy-related things. And, essentially, I agree with that.

Things are what they are, whether they are "serious" world politics or "silly" toys.

To give one of those subjects more merit than the other is to demean the subject matter of the "lesser" subject and it also demeans and condescends the existence of an online community where that "lesser" subject is the central subject, as in: "Toys are of SUCH little importance in the grand scheme of life, that we should keep things all rainbows and gumdrops in our posts in that community.".

If these boards were promoted as a place to "...be thankful you have a job and the money to spend on a toy . . . . . be thankful you have a place to come and discuss such . . . . be thankful that there are guys like Anthony that share our passion and back it up by producing figures we desire..." I would never have become a part of this community.

If these boards were only "the above".... there'd be no debate, or otherwise insightful/revealing discussion "getting to the bottom of things" nor would there be "commiserating" or other things I think are cool (and valuable!) about online communities of people who passionately share the same interests.

I think it's cool that many here hold Mego Museum to a higher standard of decorum than most other discussion sites. It makes this place special.

However, to make it a place where every last one of the people in the community "knows life is too important to complain about toys" saps out a huge part of the reality that is "toy collecting"... and I find no interest in being a part of that.
              Last edited by huedell; Sep 12, '13, 7:55 AM.
              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Well said!

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                  Moderation Engineer
                  • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by huedell
                  However, to make it a place where every last one of the people in the community "knows life is too important to complain about toys" saps out a huge part of the reality that is "toy collecting"... and I find no interest in being a part of that.
                  I'm glad you closed the way you did, I have been considering an amendment to the membership agreement to accomplish just that. Whew!

I didn't miss anyone's point, Hue. I was merely joking with Jim, just as I joked in my response to you. If you didn't enjoy the show, refunds are available at the door with apologies.

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by MIB41
                    ^^^ Well said!

Fist Bump right back at ya, MIB!

Thanks, man.

I had to re-edit that post a bit to get what I was trying to say to be a bit clearer, but I think I got pretty close to my intent there.

I think it' s unfortunate if certain guys like me were shamed into feeling like we're bringing this place down when we rant. I know the negative stuff can get tiresome to some... especially to the guys in charge of running this place and keeping things under control (it'd be so much easier if everyone just "played nice"). But a "holier than thou" attitude can get tiresome to people like me as well. And, ultimately, sticking to a chaste attitude would be the downfall of any toy forum.

I've got a concept. If you're "too good to be complaining about toys" (and feel the need to criticize those that do) then maybe it's "you" who should rethink your position in a community where we gather to celebrate those toys.... warts and all.
                    ----------------
                    Why that "wart of a figure" like Myxlpltk instead of Luthor in the WGSH series? Why Myx at all?--------------See, what I mean, Jim?
                    ---------------------
                    That doesn't mean one should just run wild here. You gotta know when you're hurting more than helping. I've stuck my own hand in that fire consistently over the years, to be sure. But the reason I haven't been banned and the reason I haven't left this place on my own decision, I think, is because there's a healthy balance that can be maintained. "Respect" and "Knowledge of what the community is made up of". EVERYBODY (on both extremes of what is acceptable here) is valuable to defining this unique community.

If it wasn't for people in the community that speak out on a higher standard (like you, Jim), then the mods here wouldn't be able to define and maintain a good aura around here, and, personally, I'd have no guideline as to know when "enough was enough". As I said above... the Mego Museum being one of the classier joints on the Net is what makes this place special. I want to respect that, and I'd like others to as well.

As much as I enjoy outspoken people, controversial viewpoints and cold criticisms, if you're gonna complain, whine or otherwise rant... you gotta be prepared for a smackdown, and be prepared to take your lumps when ya cross a certain line. Or you don't belong here.

It's a well-rounded, but overall "civilized" community

I like this place. Myxlpltk and all.
                    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• huedell
                      Museum Ball Eater
                      • Dec 31, 2003

I'm glad you closed the way you did, I have been considering an amendment to the membership agreement to accomplish just that. Whew!

I didn't miss anyone's point, Hue. I was merely joking with Jim, just as I joked in my response to you. If you didn't enjoy the show, refunds are available at the door with apologies.
                      Hey EMCE... with all respect... I don't feel I know you or your sense of humor all that well. You seemed to appear out of nowhere over the past few years, and are now one of the "bosses". Guess I've been too distracted to know your origins as I know others around here... especially Jim's! (Jim and I have a LONG history, to be sure!)

One of the faults people pick out with me with MY own online posting attitude is that I get too involved with others' posts, instead of just posting w/out addressing others directly, so maybe I shouldn't have commented directly on yours. Just because I believed (and still *do* believe) you did not "get" that guys post, doesn't mean I should point that out.

It's one thing to say you were joking in the post I referenced. But with every "joke" there are grains of truth. You can't p'shaw every last observatory sentiment with an "I was joking" retort (aka "I'm too good to do anything but make jokes on a silly subject such as toys"). If you could do that, then nothing you'd say on this matter would carry any weight. Anything said on the subject would be indecipherable. "Is he serious?" "Is he not serious?" until the proverbial do-doo hit the proverbial rotating fan.

If I ever leave the Museum on my own accord, I won't request a refund, as I feel this place has given me everything I ever expected from it. For now though, I'll stay at the show.

And hopefully I'll come to understand your sense of humor and posting style more as time goes on. For now, "not really getting you" is just one more thing in a long list of things that keeps this place interesting.

EDITED TO ADD: Well, I have to make a bit of a retraction to my confusion over your post... as I googled "Khloe and Lamar" and reading that post from that context, I can assume your post was indeed more goofy than anything else.

That said, if my own post came off overly critical due to my misunderstanding of your topical reality show humor, I apologize.

With respect to Jim, this thread did bring out the defensive mechanism in me... how little room is there in the Mego Museum for (tempered) heated discussion? And what kind of poster is "to blame" for making this place worse instead of better? In a way, these topics are more sensitive (if not more controversial) than religion and politics.
                      Last edited by huedell; Sep 12, '13, 9:06 AM.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                        Moderation Engineer
                        • Aug 14, 2003

My new CD - EMCE Hammer Out of Nowhere - will be in stores for Christmas. I have been around since the beginning, all the way back to RTM, then the Levy list, and I popped in and out of here for years before I created my current account in '03. Most of my 1000s of posts as 'Azrak' went to the archive when we decided to use that ID as Brick/SC's foil, and there was a contest held to choose my new name. There were many great ones, but Megosteve Leach submitted EMCE Hammer and it won the vote. It was only supposed to be for a year, (I wasn't going to be 'stinkyweaselteats' for perpetuity) but it kind of stuck and it works as well as anything.

That being said, I totally get you.

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

EMCE Hammer= Steve Moore, didn't magically appear but he did sleep his way to the top. If you don't know he's a smart ***, then you're going to fail the exam this spring.

Jim makes a good case and I think he's being misunderstood, a small minority of people have done such notable, winning things as compare their reaction to a dolly as being a rape victim, while one other Mensa candidate suggested the people at EMCE kill themselves. Such things are not to be defended, even with a "toy town" curve, it's terrible, childish behavior.

Having said that, kvetching is going to happen and you'd be crazy to try and curtail it, as long as it keeps to a dull roar, it's part of the deal. It's not insulin or property taxes but I get it if you've put the money down and targets weren't met. I think most folks are cool about how they do it but like all things in life, it only takes one or two to make waves in the pool.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• boss
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 18, 2003

I think you're ALL full of crap.
                            Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• David Lee
                              The Fix-it-up Chappie
                              • Jun 10, 2002

Ya know I was reading this thread and could see common sense on both sides... I think that's why I love this place!

Jim is right why sweat it so hard, they are just toys... I think Hugh and others are right too; heck this where I can be a toy nerd and do my complaining...

Let's just not forget we are friends that enjoy talking about action-figures.

I would point out that when this was announced I offered, what I thought, the two most significant ways for Figures Inc (CTVT) to make this work, to heal some of the bad blood and re-invent themselves. Anthony if your reading this, I will say it again... The first of course was to produce a quality 8 inch body... Secondly? Come here and be a part of this community... that would alleviate almost all of this negativity. If people knew they were getting it straight from the horses mouth, most would be satisfied... it would also make people less apt to jump in and start in the first place. Come here and talk to people... if you truly want support and money from the people who love this scale/hobby/genre? you gotta put some skin in the game....

Dave
                              Last edited by David Lee; Sep 12, '13, 9:18 AM. Reason: me no spell so good...unghhhhh!

Comment

• huedell
                                Museum Ball Eater
                                • Dec 31, 2003

My new CD - EMCE Hammer Out of Nowhere - will be in stores for Christmas. I have been around since the beginning, all the way back to RTM, then the Levy list, and I popped in and out of here for years before I created my current account in '03. Most of my 1000s of posts as 'Azrak' went to the archive when we decided to use that ID as Brick/SC's foil, and there was a contest held to choose my new name. There were many great ones, but Megosteve Leach submitted EMCE Hammer and it won the vote. It was only supposed to be for a year, (I wasn't going to be 'stinkyweaselteats' for perpetuity) but it kind of stuck and it works as well as anything.

That being said, I totally get you.
                                Thanks, man. I DID have a sense you were one of the oldtimers that pre-dated most stuff (including me... I was possibly on the Levy list... it was some Yahoo group)... but wasn't exactly sure who you were... "Azrak" of course, rings bells.

Good conversation overall in this thread (tip of the hat to Jim)... and thanks for the PM, too, Steve.... hopefully my PM reply wasn't TOO chaotic... I've been pretty spread thin the last few days.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎