Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alex
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 15, 2009

I still remember having a sony betemax video recorder with a 6m cable connected to it as a remote control, and used to go to partys with mix tapes in my back pocket.

Comment

• Captain Awesome
      Career Member
      • May 27, 2012

I'll be 46 at the end of July. I feel old EVERY time I roll outta the bed. Now, having said that, I really feel old when I listen to "classic rock" staions and sit there and remember when the songs were new...
      Courage is being scared to death but saddlin' up anyway. - John Wayne

Comment

• Bionicfanboy66
        Career Member
        • Jul 30, 2012

Or when TV/movie personalities you grew up with start dying off(ie John Ritter, Farrah Fawcett, 'Epstein', 'Horshack', etc.) Or when you find toys or electronics you had has a kid/teen being sold as antiques.
        Last edited by Bionicfanboy66; Jun 13, '13, 2:25 AM.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
          Persistent Member
          • Apr 28, 2013

I am pretty lucky that I grew up in the same home as my grandparents so I can relate and remember a lot of "old" things. I am 42 and I love it when I can remember the Freddy Fender tunes, Slim Whitman or Burl Ives. I remembered more of "Counting Flowers on The Wall" by the Statler Brothers than my co-workers in their 50s and 60s. I'm a little proud of that . I was quizing them on Ironside, Barnaby Jones, and Cannon this morning. Not detailed stuff just the stars, but I love that we can talk about that stuff.
          It definitely hits you when you old favorites start to pass on. Lost Patrick Mcgoohan and Ricardo Montalban around the same time. Great to have the memories!
          I do find it a little hard when I realize my youngest co-worker wasn't alive during the start of the "grunge" era, or he would have no idea who the Misfits, or Black Flag are. But, at the same time, I don't and haven't followed current music "hits" in years, so he could drop lots of names and I would have no idea who they are. My eight year old niece had to tell me who C-Lo Brown was.

Comment

• huedell
            Museum Ball Eater
            • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Starroid Raiders Dagon
            ... I remembered more of "Counting Flowers on The Wall" by the Statler Brothers than my co-workers in their 50s and 60s...
            If you're a Tarantino/Pulp Fiction fan, that song's appearance in a PF scene must've been a nice treat back in '94.
            "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by HardyGirl
              I know, I really hate that. But what I hate worse is that the parents of these kids obviously don't talk to them about when they were kids, and sharing the history. As a child, I knew there was no such thing as TV when my mom was a kid, and that they had to use an "icebox" instead of a fridge. My mom actually talked to me, and I loved hearing about her life back then.
              I showed my niece an old phone with a dial (instead of buttons to push), and she didn't know how to work it.

Back when I was young, my parents and I always participated in phone quizes. They asked you "who sang this song?" and the first one to call in won a record or something. In those prehistoric days....you actually had to KNOW the answer...instead of googling it....
              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

When I was a kid (before VHS tapes!), I used to audio tape movies from the TV (with just a microphone next to it), and then listen to the tape as a kind of radio audio play, recalling the images that went with the sound.
                I still have a tape of Pal's War of the Worlds.
                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• pmjlghrs
                  • Oct 28, 2010

I just finished "reading" the audiobooks of the original Ian Fleming James Bond novels (what else to do on the 1 1/2 hour one-way commute). It's been years since I originally read them back in high school. Sooooo many things have changed. Like stopping to call the authorities. Like Fleming's attitudes toward minorities and women. Like the chain smoking and excessive drinking. I have never consumed tobacco of any sort nor have a racist or chauvinist bone in my body, but to go back and observe those attitudes so prevelant in others' attitudes and speech from my youth is a major culture shock.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                    • Apr 3, 2007

I did that when the movie "The Wiz" came on TV. My mom was asleep 'cos she worked swing shift at the hospital, so it was nice and quiet. Put my little Panasonic Take 'n' Tape in front of the TV on a tall stool so the mike would be close to the TV speaker. I still have the tape somewhere.

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                    When I was a kid (before VHS tapes!), I used to audio tape movies from the TV (with just a microphone next to it), and then listen to the tape as a kind of radio audio play, recalling the images that went with the sound.
                    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• garfoot
                      Museum Patron
                      • Aug 28, 2012

If you're old enough to have eaten a cereal that contained the word "SUGAR" in the title then you're old like me. SScrisp.jpg

Comment

• DaBillmann
                        Museum Patron
                        • Jun 16, 2011

Originally posted by garfoot
                        If you're old enough to have eaten a cereal that contained the word "SUGAR" in the title then you're old like me. [ATTACH=CONFIG]6287[/ATTACH]
                        Guilty

Comment

• rykerw1701
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 27, 2007

Does anyone remember books called "Fotonovels" or "Photonovels?". These were basically stills from a movie or tv episode put in sequential order and layed out like a comic book complete with the speaking balloons. It was the only way to "watch" a show on demand as there was no VHS yet. And the I did the cassette tape thing, too. You combined that with the Fotonovel and you were in geek heaven.

Originally posted by Gorn Captain

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by rykerw1701
                            Does anyone remember books called "Fotonovels" or "Photonovels?". These were basically stills from a movie or tv episode put in sequential order and layed out like a comic book complete with the speaking balloons. It was the only way to "watch" a show on demand as there was no VHS yet. And the I did the cassette tape thing, too. You combined that with the Fotonovel and you were in geek heaven.

I found "Trouble with the Tribbles" the other day at a used bookstore and was immediately whisked back to a camping trip as a kid.

I was happy to notice my son stole it and read it cover to cover.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                              Moderation Engineer
                              • Aug 14, 2003

My son has the boxed set of the Hardy Boys run, and I am looking to get him into the Three Investigators. "What's 'spelunking' dad?"

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                                Invincible Ironing Man
                                • Feb 28, 2008

I still have some of those Star Trek photonovels.
                                It was a fun way to really study all the details.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎