Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

so, your top tier has only one villain, and you are the one who introduced tiers into this,? I noticed you didn't even try to argue about Catwoman. She's appeared in both modern Movie series, and the 66 show. I just don't see the Joker sitting alone at the top, the 66 movie set the top 4 at Joker, Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman and its been that way ever since. Ohh, and Catwoman has carried a long term comic series two of them running 94 and 83 issues, can the Joker say that? Nope. All he had was a very short series in the 70's. Sure he gets used a lot for shock value bits like killing a lame Robin or beating up Babs then taking pics of her. Now that this thread has been derailed by this nonsense I am done. Toodles
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• imp
      Mego Book Author
      • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
      so, your top tier has only one villain, and you are the one who introduced tiers into this,?
      I didn't "introduce tiers into this", I simply made a joke about Penguin and Catwoman in the context of desirability among potential buyers who are Batman fans but don't collect Mego. Again, we're talking about the Series 2 FTC assortment. Which is to say, NOT BATMAN and NOT DESIRABLE to non-Mego collectors.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Perhaps, but bear in mind this is your thread about wave assortments, not "absolute " villain rankings.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• rlkrefft
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 14, 2010

I think it's a great wave. I love Penguin and Catwoman and I will for sure buy them. I don't understand everyone who compares these two to the Joker, or think they are not as great as Joker or Riddler. Penguin was a huge seller in the original line. He and Joker were produced through out the run (Riddler was cancelled long before Penguin) it is so silly to discuss who is more popular. Joker will always be #1, but it would be a very boring Batman universe if Joker was the only foe. Thats what makes Batman so great (his many fantastic list of bad guys) also, I might add that had Penguin and Riddler been in wave 1 and Joker in wave 2 you guys would still be calling this a weak follow up wave because there is no Batman or Robin. I'm buying the whole wave 2 just as I did wave 1. Now the next wave I'm only getting Batgirl. Never liked the removable cowl or mask Batman and Robin figures. I never saw a reason for them, especially if we are going to have Bruce and Dick figures already.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
            Persistent Member
            • Jun 22, 2011

In the public view probably the Joker is the best known villain but arguing about who is the best is silly. It is only a matter of one's opinion who is the best. I know Penguin and Bane are popular Batman villains but I despise both of them. Joker and Catwoman have always been my favorites followed closely by Catman, Riddler and Man-Bat but who cares what I think. The next guy has a different line-up and gets upset if you disagree with him. That's why this kind of thread is a waste of time. Now as for the Figures wave 2 assortment... I do like the Catwoman ( though I prefer the purple dress version ) because this is the one Mego originally made. Hopefully other versions of her will follow. The remaining three figures in this wave are super lame in my opinion but I will buy them in support of the line no matter what Benjamin or anyone else here thinks about it. If this wave kills the line then so be it. We can say we did our best to support it.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

That's just wooly-headed. If this "super-lame" wave "kills the line", then FTC's and "our" $$ will have been wasted.

It's in everyone's best interest to solicit a marketable wave--that's the basis of discussion in this thread, despite contentious tangents.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
                Persistent Member
                • Jun 22, 2011

Agreed. I was only being sarcastic about wave 2 killing the line. I don't think it will. And " super lame ' is just my opinion.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                  Persistent Member
                  • Sep 27, 2010

in my opinion,frank gorshin's riddler was the number one villian on the adam west show.he was even in the first episode.

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

Just my two cents... Wave 2 looks like it really only consists of Catwoman and Penguin if your looking at "new" product. Anyone who wants a "Bruce" or Dick" in those outfits can order the heads and outfits right now on the CTVT site. So Wave 2 is mostly existing stock getting recycled. And the RC Batman and RM Robin for Wave 3 will be recycled from those figures and the Batman outfits. So there is alot of shuffling of existing product in making these figures. Right now I think FTC' only risk to investment is the heads and outfits (which are pretty cheap to make). The bodies are most likely getting produced in bulk to host whatever lines they want. Be it WGSH, KISS, Dukes, "66 Batman, etc. So whatever doesn't sell, they'll just part out the heads and outfits like they're doing with those supposed "successful" KISS lines and use those bodies on a different line. Who knows how many KISS figures will now be Batman figures?

I think this be a fallback strategy on this next attempt at WGSH as well. They're probably just making so many heads and outfits and rotating stock on the bodies. For what they charge, they should be making money easily. And while it's fun to see someone taking another stab at the WGSH line, let's be honest. You can reproduce that toy from 1974, but you can't reproduce that 1974 marketplace. Which is what IMP has been talking about. He made a top notch, quality hard back book buried in huge pics of the classic WGSH. A wet dream for us hard core fans. But guess what? Nobody bought it. Sure. Most of us here bought them up and celebrated them on the day it came out. But this forum does not a marketplace make. So if a book that covered every major superhero from the Mego universe wouldn't sell, why would repro-figures of the most common characters do any better? Plus I guess for me the bigger question is, who from that original marketplace doesn't already have these? And those who have come along since then have likely already picked these characters up. In addition, with so much interest in the '66 Batman line, why would anyone want to sink $25.00 plus into figures that have been easily available in it's vintage form?

I think that nostalgic feeling will burn out real fast after a couple of hundred dollars wasted on common figures. So I doubt this line will blaze any new trails in sales. I think FTC is simply following the Hasbro business model from the 40th Anniversary Joes and using overstock to make new product. That's likely why there seems to be so many figures being pushed for this initial line. FTC is hoping to get that overstock of unsold bodies out of their warehouse so they can start using their next shipment of bodies for these other licenses. There's no telling how many people will be getting a tightly strung Mego Batman in a permanent "I gotta pee" stance.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                      • Apr 3, 2007

As a person who knows very little about the comics, and who's knowledge is mostly on 60s Batman, and both Filmation series, here's my take:

I think FTC wanted to have all of the Fab 4, Batman and Robin and SI Bruce and Dick for 2 reasons:

From a collectors standpoint: There may be a lot of people who never had the SI figures, and having Batman, Robin and the Fab 4 are just essential.

From a kid's standpoint: If the collectors, (or even just the folks who will say, "Hey I remember those as a kid"), get their kids into these, it adds to the play value of Batman and Robin having the SI Bruce and Dick and the Fab 4. The other figures when they come, are secondary, (MY opinion, don't jump on me!).

I'm sure there are those who will disagree, (so what else is new?), but even though I don't want any of Wave 2, (I already have a Mego Pengy, and I only like the Julie Newmar Catwoman, and don't really care about the SI guys), but I'm glad these figures are available to whoever may want them. It's great to see Retro alive and well, and I really do hope kids will get into these. (I know, but I can hope)

LONG LIVE RETRO REPRO FIGURES!
                      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jun 22, 2011

I just paid $375.00 for a case fresh MIB Mego Joker. About three weeks later I read that FTC has acquired the rights to reproduce Mego Batman characters and the Joker will be in the first wave for around $25.00. Had I known this I personally would have saved my $375.00 and put it on the entire line of FTC Mego WGSH repros. I could care less about how valuable the originals are now or will be in the future. I only care about having the exact same figures I had as a kid in some kind of nice packaging to display and enjoy. I know of other friends on this forum that feel the exact same way. Not everyone here has the money or is willing to spend it if they do on high grade originals. I know I am in the minority here but I for one am very happy that Figures is producing the exact same figures that Mego did. Now I can have all of them case fresh new without having to spend thousands of dollars on them as I have done in the past.

Comment

• garfoot
                          Museum Patron
                          • Aug 28, 2012

Originally posted by Mego-Amigo
                          I just paid $375.00 for a case fresh MIB Mego Joker. About three weeks later I read that FTC has acquired the rights to reproduce Mego Batman characters and the Joker will be in the first wave for around $25.00. Had I known this I personally would have saved my $375.00 and put it on the entire line of FTC Mego WGSH repros. I could care less about how valuable the originals are now or will be in the future. I only care about having the exact same figures I had as a kid in some kind of nice packaging to display and enjoy. I know of other friends on this forum that feel the exact same way. Not everyone here has the money or is willing to spend it if they do on high grade originals. I know I am in the minority here but I for one am very happy that Figures is producing the exact same figures that Mego did. Now I can have all of them case fresh new without having to spend thousands of dollars on them as I have done in the past.
                          I completely agree with you, I have always wanted the WGSH figures I owned as a child. I am married with 2 boys and don't have the money to spend hundreds on 1 figure. I was thrilled to learn of Figures remaking these Megos again. Like you, I don't mind if they're originals or not, I just want to display them in my office. It's about the memories more then resale value. I want Figures to make all the DC Megos again, and don't care what assortments they make first. If we only get 20 figures so be it, but I will support this line until the end. In the end I am just happy to have some of my childhood toys again to share with my kids.

Comment

• garfoot
                            Museum Patron
                            • Aug 28, 2012

I just watched an old Mego commercial on YouTube and got excited for this line to be released.

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Mego-Amigo
                              That makes very little sense. You paid $375.00 for a 40 year old toy in mint condition in a mint box. If you just wanted the figure, you could have paid a price similar to these new figures and had a vintage one. The fact that you paid $375.00 tells me you wanted an original Mego in mint shape, in the original box. And since you're stating a cheaper reproduction figure would have fit your tastes, why didn't you chase after all of the mint vintage Jokers in reproduction packaging selling for incredibly cheap prices? So I don't see the logic in dumping that kind of money since you're saying having a reproduction makes no difference to you. That not apples to apples on any scale.

Comment

• imp
                                Mego Book Author
                                • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by MIB41
                                You can reproduce that toy from 1974, but you can't reproduce that 1974 marketplace. Which is what IMP has been talking about. He made a top notch, quality hard back book buried in huge pics of the classic WGSH. A wet dream for us hard core fans. But guess what? Nobody bought it.
                                Oh so true. And these boards have plenty of "supporters" who talk a big game but never actually come through. "I'm going to buy every single item the very first day, no matter what they put out! I don't care! I'll buy everything!" These are the same people who chime into a Marketplace thread juuuuust AFTER the seller confirms the item is sold, "Oh, good score! I totally would have bought that if I had seen it first."

Yeah. Okay. Whatever.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎