X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaBillmann
    Museum Patron
    • Jun 16, 2011

Originally posted by sprytel
    I always the thought the best way to repro the RC figures would be as a "super special edition", where they came with both their superhero costumes and the secret identity outfits.

Yeah that would be cheaper for us. My main thing is I would prefer to be able to put Bruce Wayne aside and get Batman out raither than change their clothes. Lazy man, LOL.

Though, I guess I could leave RC Batman in the Bruce Wayne outfit. LOL

Comment

• Random Axe
      The Voice of Reason
      • Apr 16, 2008

I think it would be cool to issue those AE clothes in an Action Jackson styled pack. Can't get more retro than that.
      I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• madmarva
        Talkative Member
        • Jul 7, 2007

Great idea Scott. A removable cowl with the Bruce Wayne set and a mask with the Robin set could be added, too. It would be cool to do that with all the heroes.
        Last edited by madmarva; Jun 9, '13, 10:51 PM.

Comment

• DaBillmann
          Museum Patron
          • Jun 16, 2011

Originally posted by Random Axe
          I think it would be cool to issue those AE clothes in an Action Jackson styled pack. Can't get more retro than that.
          Jiminy Christmas, I never thought of that. You are too smart.

Comment

• DocDrako
            Formerly Doc Drako
            • Nov 11, 2004

Originally posted by MIB41
            I think it's safe to say if you really look at the marketplace, it was Hasbro that started the whole "retro" marketing strategy when they released what were suppose to be "replica" figures of their vintage 60's and 70's lines back in the early 90's. Of course these figures were anything but replicas at that point. But it woke up a whole new marketplace and suddenly companies realized there was a different demographic that hadn't been properly tapped into. The Toybiz company, owned by Marvel, were the first to dabble in the retro Mego universe with the Famous Covers line released in 1998. Between those Hasbro and Toybiz' ventures, the industry began to see an offshoot of new companies created solely to cater to this demographic. For example, Playing Mantis recreated the Captain Action line, as well as Evel Knievel. But keep in mind through all of this commercial development, Dr. Mego already existed and was building an underground movement by recreating actual replacement parts for the vintage Mego lines starting back in the early 90's . So while the Figures Toy Company, who were better known for Wrestling Figures, started their own campaign into the Mego universe with Classic TV Toys back in 2004, they were simply one of many companies looking to cash in on the retro marketplace. They did not author it's resurgence by any means.

But make no mistake. As with other companies, there wasn't anyone who didn't champion their cause. What gave Classic TV toys their own infamous distinction were the brittle bodies that broke almost immediately upon coming out of the package. The packaging itself was uniquely flimsy. And through this process, which lasted YEARS, the whole effect came off (intended or not) as a company who were trying to make a fast buck by taking short cuts in production. To give them proper credit, they tried to replace the bad product with replacements when customers called in. However, the inferior product was replaced with the same inferior product. So customer dissatisfaction and their inability to manage their own quality issues became so massive, it basically shut them down from making anymore figure lines for years. They were forced to part out those lines, which created a nice aftermarket for customizers.

But for years people no longer viewed this company as a viable source for bodies or new figure lines. So much so that when the company obtained a new license to market KISS, they began using their parent company name instead of the well tarnished Classic TV Toys brand. But those who did business with them, knew it was the same company. And while new and "improved" bodies were introduced, those too have quality issues, which the company has yet to respond to. What's worse the company has, in effect, become it's own scalper. As previous inventory volumes have dwindled (like the defective Robinhood figures), the company has placed huge markups on those products. When their new figure lines fail, like the KISS Sonic Boom figures, they part them out on the Classic TV Toy site, but make no mention of it on their parent site. And then let's not forget the professional courtesy this company has bypassed in selling product that Castaway created. The list goes on from there, but the point is well illustrated. So while this latest announcement in licensing seems to have given the company “new life” in the eyes of some, it’s past product and current practices have more than a few consumers cautious about diving in. As the saying goes,” the past is prologue.”

And comparing FTC to Mattel is not really a comparison worth noting. Mattel is a publicly traded giant in the industry that sells a diverse amount of product. FTC has one demographic to service and is trying to pull as many popular licenses as they can into that market. Through re-purposing existing bodies, they can recycle unsold product and part out the smaller parts to collectors. With this recycling strategy, which Mego also used, they can focus more of their funds on licensing and the development of heads and outfits for those baseline bodies. Mattel’s goal is to grow existing profit margins for the stockholders. FTC is simply trying to create a margin for profit so they can continue to do business.

How would I manage this line if it were mine? I would use my recycling strategy to strangle the competition with competitive pricing and utilize best practices in the industry to grow my reputation and appeal to broader markets. I would make sure my inner quality control measures are in place to assure whatever I’m selling addresses consumer complaints. And finally I would offer diversity in product pricing so I can move my inventory to a broader scope of people interested in this property besides just the diehards who do not carry enough purchasing power to keep my lines viable.
            "LIKE"
            "I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• megozilla13
              Persistent Member
              • May 10, 2002

Originally posted by MIB41
              I couldn't agree more! I prize this book so much I don't even keep it with my other printed material. I keep it next to my most prized collectibles. So in the event of a flood, fire, or other disaster, these go with ME.
              Ben's book definitely does not hold up well in a flood. I learned that first hand last year during Sandy. It completely curled up into itself and all the pages glued themselves to each other. Funny thing...... you know what did perfectly well submerged for three days in salt water.......................the HeroesWorld catalogs from the 70's. They dried off and look like they were never wet.

mikej
              WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                Banned
                • Jun 23, 2001

What really boggles my mind is that EVERYONE complained about the Mattel bodies...and some refused to buy the line because of that reason. That and the pricepoint being $20. At the time, and you can go back and the old threads, I stated that I couldn't understand why people were complaining about the pricepoint. You couldn't even get a Doc Mego Custom, done by Doc himself, of Lex Luthor for what you were going to pay for a Mattel Retro figure of the same character. Those same people that complained about the pricepoint are now stating that they will support this line by CTVT, or whatever they call themselves now, with CTVT not even giving you a new figure that's never been done before until, at the earliest, Wave 3. At a MUCH HIGHER pricepoint then the Mattel Retro figures. I don't understand that logic at all. If they don't have a new figure in the 1st 2 waves then I think this line will die a quick death. Again, just my opinion. I just find it hard to believe that the people that complained about the pricepoint of the Mattel figures are the same people that are going to be supporting a Mego Re-Hash line like what CTVT is proposing for the 1st 2 waves of these figures that have NOTHING to offer that hasn't been done before. I want to see the Romero Joker and the Price Egghead figures...but I doubt they will materialize beyond prototypes. I hope I am wrong. I can tell you that they CAN'T do it with JUST the support of Diamond and comic book store only distribution. They have to get these to mass market...and look how well that went for Mattel's Retro figures. Pricepoint is $25 - $30 per figure...They can't blow these out without taking a HUGE hit in their pockets...Hope I am wrong. I can tell you that I am not going to be buying any of the 1st two waves of this line. Why would I spend $25 - $30 on a repro Batman if I can, through piecing the figure together, put together a complete all original Bats for about $40 - $45. Might sound like a purist attitude...but with the history that CTVT has with their bodies I'd rather have a 30 year old Mego body with squeaky knee joints and a cracked foot then have a CTVT body.

Comment

• B-Lister
                  Eccentric Weirdo
                  • Mar 19, 2010

Can't do the same for the SIs which I will be buying.
                  Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                    What really boggles my mind is that EVERYONE complained about the Mattel bodies...and some refused to buy the line because of that reason. That and the pricepoint being $20. At the time, and you can go back and the old threads, I stated that I couldn't understand why people were complaining about the pricepoint. You couldn't even get a Doc Mego Custom, done by Doc himself, of Lex Luthor for what you were going to pay for a Mattel Retro figure of the same character. Those same people that complained about the pricepoint are now stating that they will support this line by CTVT, or whatever they call themselves now, with CTVT not even giving you a new figure that's never been done before until, at the earliest, Wave 3. At a MUCH HIGHER pricepoint then the Mattel Retro figures. I don't understand that logic at all.
                    To me, it's quite simple logic. When virtual replicas are being offered instead of new dolls in a retro spirited style, there's more excitement from a sect that (tho it may be small) is a prominent contingent in this forum.
                    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                      Invincible Ironing Man
                      • Feb 28, 2008

For me, it's pretty simple mathematics.
                      With shipping and customs added, they'll cost me around $45 each. So that's where I say "no thanks".

I'm glad that people are getting a second chance at these figures instead of having to hunt down vintage ones, though. If I could buy them in a store at $30, I'd be tempted in some cases. But I have almost all of them vintage already.

As far as this second series is concerned, it's not a strong line-up. I don't see many kids getting excited about them, and the same goes for myself. The two secret identities don't have a lot of "action" in them, never much liked Catwoman in that outfit, Penguin is the best one in series two. How about giving him an extra umbrella or something?
                      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• jayraytee
                        Career Member
                        • May 27, 2011

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                        What really boggles my mind is that EVERYONE complained about the Mattel bodies...and some refused to buy the line because of that reason. That and the price point being $20. At the time, and you can go back and the old threads, I stated that I couldn't understand why people were complaining about the price point. You couldn't even get a Doc Mego Custom, done by Doc himself, of Lex Luthor for what you were going to pay for a Mattel Retro figure of the same character. Those same people that complained about the price point are now stating that they will support this line by CTVT, or whatever they call themselves now, with CTVT not even giving you a new figure that's never been done before until, at the earliest, Wave 3. At a MUCH HIGHER price point then the Mattel Retro figures. I don't understand that logic at all.
                        I have always supported any line that made an attempt to bring back Mego, I bought all of the famous covers line because they were at the time the closest thing I could get to a new Mego. I pretty much hated them, but I gave it a chance because I wanted new Mego figures, which they in the end were not. Then I bought all of the Mattel retro line, the price of the Mattel figures I thought was reasonable, but the bodies were terrible. Mattel dropped the ball majorly in so many ways, but for me the bodies were just not Mego-like enough. My desire for new Mego figures has caused me to overlook a lot of issues in these lines because they were just the closest thing available. But, if you have Mego style bodies and a DC and/or Marvel license and you create both figures that Mego produced and new choices too... well now, I might overlook a heck of a lot more than I overlooked with these previous attempts. Price point, ok... in the day of Sideshow and Hot Toys... I can swallow a lot. BUT... a lack of quality is something that is pretty dang hard to overlook. For me that will be the clincher, if the product falls apart immediately after taking it out of the packaging then I am afraid the licensing they have acquired will all be for nothing.

Basically this time the bases are loaded and the player most known to strike out is at the bat. I am rooting for them and hopeful that in the end we all win.
                        Last edited by jayraytee; Jun 18, '13, 5:03 PM.
                        My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• garfoot
                          Museum Patron
                          • Aug 28, 2012

I am a bottom line kind of guy, and for me this is real simple. I had these as a kid and they bring back great memories. I don't want to pay for originals, and don't have the interest in tracking down parts to make my own. I won't open these up, they will just hang on my wall in my toy room. I would like all the DC figures Mego made so I don't care what assortments come out first. Price point is within my range so I'm good with that. I would love if they made new characters, but if they only remake the originals, that's fine too. I will support this line until it ends, and I can't do anything other than that. To me, it's that easy.

Comment

• Vinny0026
                            Year Five!!
                            • Jan 26, 2012

Originally posted by enyawd72
                            I'm sure collectors will jump at the chance to finally own the secret identity figures, as well as the RC figures from wave three.
                            Bottom line, if you want to see non Batman figures, you better buy the first three waves.
                            I'm gonna support everything they release to help make the rest of the DCU happen.
                            I agree here - if these first 3 waves tank we are all ascrewed. So I'm all in on them.
                            I really want this line to do well so we all can get some great dc figures that mego never made.

I already have all these figures, original and customs and in variations so what will it hurt to buy a few more haha
                            or maybe I should put it in my Moms terms when I was little " If you want Ice cream later - you have to eat all your greens now" haha

so lets all dive in and get some Ice cream later!!!
                            "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?"

Comment

• imp
                              Mego Book Author
                              • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by megozilla13
                              Ben's book definitely does not hold up well in a flood. I learned that first hand last year during Sandy. It completely curled up into itself and all the pages glued themselves to each other. Funny thing...... you know what did perfectly well submerged for three days in salt water.......................the HeroesWorld catalogs from the 70's. They dried off and look like they were never wet.j
                              Mike, please check your PMs.

-b

Comment

• Mike77
                                • Mar 7, 2009

It's been a long time since I've been on this board and am so excited to see Secret Identity figures being produced. I always wanted them but could never afford the originals! Just had a quick question. Will the the new Figures Toys Inc. heads be made the same way as the old Mego heads? Will they be a soft fleshtone rubber material or will they be a more hard plastic? I've been out of the loop for a while and am just getting back into Megos, so I apologize if this has been answered already.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎