X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • torgospizza
    Theocrat of Pan Tang
    • Aug 19, 2010

Originally posted by ovenmitt
    Remember when Sideshow 12" like Universal Monsters, James Bond cost $40 each?! And Star Wars began at $50 each!
    Yeah, and I'm still kicking myself for not buying all the Universal Monsters and Planet of the Apes figures they released. At the time, those sounded like crazy prices and I only picked up the Wolf Man, Cornelius, and Zira, but compared to now? Those were the salad days.

As far as the 1/6 CTVT figures go, I'll pay $60-70 for them if the quality is as good as what we've seen so far, but I really doubt the paint apps will be as good as what we're seeing. There's no way the pink eyelid borders around the sclera are going to be painted on them, f.ex. They're still sweet sculpts, though. How good they are will definitely influence whether or not I get the Hot Toys versions. I just don't know about comparing 1/9 scale '70s technology figures @ $25 each to 1/6 scale '10s technology figures @ $200. In the 70s, figures of Hot Toys' quality would have been in museums and not in the hands of consumers. It's like comparing a crystal radio to an iPod. The crystal radio should be a good deal cheaper.

Comment

• garfoot
      Museum Patron
      • Aug 28, 2012

Originally posted by MIB41
      Absolutely. I have a business degree as well. And one thing I can say with complete certainty is there is not enough reasoning utilized in this hobby. This industry gets tested all the time. Just a couple of years ago people were blowing smoke about $20.00 a pop for the retro heroes from a big company like Mattel. Even though two-man companies like Castaway were making a ten fold better figure for the same price at a considerably smaller volume. And yet here we are just a short time later and the new price norm has now jumped 25% ??? What besides gas prices does this? It's another price point test on the market. Guess what? In another few years, it will jump another 25%. They'll be $30.00 then. The "specialty" figures already are. So at some point, as a consumer, you have to vote with your wallet. That's why I support the smaller guys like BBP. They make a comparable product at a better price point. And because they are priced better, I buy MORE product. Fair price at $25.00? I'm not so sure. My problem here is people vote with their childhood memories. Mego made CHEAP figures. They were priced cheap too. $3.00 back then equates to $15.29 today when adjusted for inflation. This company's price points are nearly 70% above the inflation rate. All I'm saying is it doesn't have to be that way. This industry suffers because there is no consumer voice that demands some price controls on this stuff. So its only going to keep going up and up. Mark my words. The $30.00 price tag is coming. And at some point people will look around and say, "Hey we're getting ripped off." Maybe it will take $50.00 before they do it. But at some point, hopefully, people will wake up and ask for a product that reflects the price being asked. Nostalgia only lasts so long. And my fear is companies like this will destroy this hobby. They'll price them right back into oblivion.

You make a lot of great points. This is why I stopped buying Hot Toys figures. A couple years ago they went for about $149 a pop, now the same figure would loosen your wallet about $200. I know that greed destroyed sports card collecting for me, and then comic books got to out of hand with the variants and exclusives that I just got fed up. I have put a ceiling on what I am willing to spend on 8" figures and at $25 a pop, I'm just about there. I wish Figures the best, and hope that they can keep the cost down so we can all enjoy these wonderful toys we loved as kids.

Comment

• VintageMike
        Permanent Member
        • Dec 16, 2004

About the price point, you can't use the original Megos and the inflation scale to compare. As I'm sure we all remember Megos were available in the toy department of every major store back in the day in addition to Toys R' Us and the other big chains of the day like Child World. So if these were being produced in the numbers comparable to original Megos and available side by side with the toys of today in Target/Walmart etc I'd agree. However you have to take inflation and add the fact these are being sold soley via the internet and aimed at a very specific adult collector's market. Do I love the fact they cost $25 a pop? Of course not. But if that's what it costs to get them made and more importantly get us new characters, I'll support it and understand why the price point is what it is.

Comment

• jayraytee
          Career Member
          • May 27, 2011

^ agree.
          My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by garfoot
            You make a lot of great points. This is why I stopped buying Hot Toys figures. A couple years ago they went for about $149 a pop, now the same figure would loosen your wallet about $200. I know that greed destroyed sports card collecting for me, and then comic books got to out of hand with the variants and exclusives that I just got fed up. I have put a ceiling on what I am willing to spend on 8" figures and at $25 a pop, I'm just about there. I wish Figures the best, and hope that they can keep the cost down so we can all enjoy these wonderful toys we loved as kids.
            You make an excellent point about Hot Toys. That change in price points have made me dial way back as well. And today those prices are beginning to creep towards $300.00. I'm confident the '66 Batman stuff will likely hit that number when they come out. Hot Toys are strangling off their customer base as well. I hear complaints on that board quite a bit about people having to leave the hobby because the greed factor has simply gotten too high.

With regards to the other poster regarding the Mego volume, these figures were not EVERYWHERE when they first came on the marketplace in '73. And actually they were cheaper than $3.00 then. Also keep in mind Mego was still known predominantly as a rack toy company at that point. And I remember to this day seeing those superheroes for the first time in their solid boxes on what else but a spin rack by the checkout counters. Distribution into other stores took a few years to accomplish and by then the price actually went UP. And since we're talking about distribution, lets keep in mind that the common stores of the 70's that no longer exist today are replaced by online specialty stores that carry these lines as well. So it's not like it's a small company selling limited product out of one online hub. These figures are massed produced to go to countless online merchants in addition to comic book and collectible stores across the country. They have every bit the presence Megos would have today if they were just coming out. Super chains like Walmart and Target are not going to purchase these lines because they're not competitively priced to move off shelves. Which takes me back to my original point. These are cheaply made like Megos, but they do not carry the spirit of Megos as a baseline toy that can be cheaply obtained. These lines are priced solely for collectors. The average consumer will not pay these prices for a product that doesn't match the appeal of other toys on that same shelf.
            Last edited by MIB41; May 15, '13, 11:23 PM.

Comment

• monitor_ep
              Talkative Member
              • May 11, 2013

I agree with MIB41. Hot Toys are fantastic, well scuplted, and highly detailed figures worth the money you pay for. Now FTC has done a great job with there Kiss figures. I do not of any problems with FTC, so I do not have anything to compare to. I do now that reproductions I will not pay $200 or more for them.

This said I will be buying nearly the DC figures and hopefully Marvel. I have already pre-ordered my fist set and cannot wait for wave 2 to get release. I want to complete my Batman Family Megos and hopefully wave 3 will be Superman Family (I can hope for a Luthor in business suit).
              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by ovenmitt
                Remember when Sideshow 12" like Universal Monsters, James Bond cost $40 each?!
                Sideshow's first 12 inch Frankenstein in 2000 was only $29.99 and just a year later I paid $39.99 for the Bride. I haven't bought anything Sideshow since the Van Helsing figures in 2004. Looked
                terrible and broke right out of the box. I liked them better when they were still Sideshow Toys. When they changed to Sideshow Collectibles their prices kept going up while I felt their quality kept going down.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Astronut
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 21, 2010

The best Mego-related news I have seen in more than 30 years. EXCELLENT. I shall do my best to obtain them all.

(I know, thread is back from the dead...)
                  Last edited by Astronut; Dec 17, '13, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• Astronut
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 21, 2010

Originally posted by Starroid Raiders Dagon
                    I would love to see Ditko' Shade the Changing Man......... I would LOVE to see the new OMAC on Doc' muscle body.
                    Ditko's Changing Man??!! FTC would make that character into an awesome looking Mego. And OMAC — EVEN BETTER!!! Holy ***** I want that. Would make for another great-looking Mego. I can totally see it in my mind's eye. KILLER!! Great call on those. Seriously.
                    Last edited by Astronut; Dec 17, '13, 11:25 AM.

Comment

• ubermanx
                      Career Member
                      • Jul 3, 2013

OMAC and Mister Miracle would be super high on my want list.

New Gods, 1980's Bwah ha ha ha Justice League, JSA ... jeepers, the list could go on and on ...

- Marty

Comment

• Astronut
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 21, 2010

Originally posted by ubermanx
                        OMAC and Mister Miracle would be super high on my want list.
                        Mister Miracle would look dope. YES.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                          Persistent Member
                          • Apr 28, 2013

Originally posted by Astronut
                          Ditko's Changing Man??!! FTC would make that character into an awesome looking Mego. And OMAC — EVEN BETTER!!! Holy ***** I want that. Would make for another great-looking Mego. I can totally see it in my mind's eye. KILLER!! Great call on those. Seriously.
                          Especially with them using a screen printing technique that replaced the decals like they have for the on the new line! Mister Miracle and Barda would be excellent for the line.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎