Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noelani72
    27inaleon
    • Jun 25, 2002

love everything about them except the hair.
    This pic does not look like the pic released back in April (or so).
    Gene is ok, but the rest of them are flat.

Comment

• boss
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 18, 2003

FTC can't do rooted hair. The April pic was of the Farrow's prototypes (where he did the hair). These heads suffer less from the 12" to 8" warping than we've seen in the past. So close.
      Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• megomania
        Persistent Member
        • Jan 2, 2010

Meh.

Would have been all over these had they looked anything close to the prototype pic on the banner at the top of the page. The hair is just a killer. Bummer.

-Chris

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
          Often invisible
          • Jul 18, 2002

They just posted on Facebook that the hair isn't final. Even still, I think it's their best hair offering so far.
          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• noelani72
            27inaleon
            • Jun 25, 2002

^^well that was nice of them to post and sounds promising.

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

There's another series they let slip before announcing in the photo of Gene. If you look at the artwork on the back card, you can clearly see the KISS Alive outfits! Now that could be very cool.

Comment

• fossilfuse
                Museum Super Collector
                • Oct 27, 2008

These figures look really good, don't even mind the hair so much, since they say it will be improved, BUT, what happened to the higher quality sculpts from the original ad? I know Mego did not sculpt exact replicas of Kiss before, but the original posted figures looked like the real guys from Kiss. I will still buy these figures, because they are the best looking figures yet. Just curious as to why the sculpts became simpler, or more Mego-esque.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                  Often invisible
                  • Jul 18, 2002

Without seeing them in person, I can only guess, but I can say that having a sculpt made in vinyl softens the details. It's possible the detail wasn't as sharp as it needed to be.
                  Meanwhile, I don't think they look bad at all. I think Paul looks fantastic. There's something strange about Gene however. I can't tell from the photos what it is, but the smile looks flat to me.
                  Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Too bad about the hair, why does that aspect always seem so difficult to pull off with these? Mego did a pretty decent job on their KISS guys way back in 1978. Is it some kind of lost art or something?

The hair on the prototypes looks great, I'm guessing it wasn't rooted but just little wigs or something?

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Also, maybe this has already been addressed, I don't follow these threads much, but why are the 12" figures nearly three times the price of the 8" ones? The 12 inchers are 280% the price for a figure that's 150% the size of an 8" one?

Comment

• noelani72
                        27inaleon
                        • Jun 25, 2002

^^yea, at $70 per fig and something like $18 shipping, I have not bought any 12" KISS figs.
                        I would, but just can't pay that much in this day and age.

I did get the Love Gun 12" figs when they first came out, but they were $59ea from a 3rd party vendor and shipping was much easier on the pocketbook.
                        Not to sound like a cheapskate, but I'm thinking more like $39 per fig and I'd have em all.

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by noelani72
                          ^^yea, at $70 per fig and something like $18 shipping, I have not bought any 12" KISS figs.

I did get the Love Gun 12" figs when they first came out, but they were $59ea from a 3rd party vendor and shipping was much easier on the pocketbook.
                          Not to sound like a cheapskate, but I'm thinking more like $39 per fig and I'd have em all.
                          You can buy them for $39.99 new (but loose) at ClassicTVToy's website. Just as well. I saw the 12 inch packaging at a local comic shop and it was INSANELY huge. Not practical in the least. They would double their sales if they got that price down and reduced all that wasted packaging.

Comment

• ZebMayonaise
                            • Nov 6, 2012

Dressed to Kill seems like such a weird costume choice. It is not like they ever dressed like that. They had really nice costumes for that tour (and others). They do look pretty good though...except for the hair. cjeffries is right... it must be a lost art!

Comment

• noelani72
                              27inaleon
                              • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by MIB41
                              You can buy them for $39.99 new (but loose) at ClassicTVToy's website. Just as well. I saw the 12 inch packaging at a local comic shop and it was INSANELY huge. Not practical in the least. They would double their sales if they got that price down and reduced all that wasted packaging.
                              HA! seriously? wow, I must have missed that.
                              I knew they were parting out the 8" figures though.
                              Reckon my $39 gut feeling has already been felt by CTVT.
                              I'm gonna have to look at their site some more.

Comment

• cjefferys
                                Duke of Gloat
                                • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by noelani72
                                Holy crap, $18 shipping on top of the 70 bucks? Remember those 2 foot tall KISS figures that came out around 10 years ago? Didn't they retail for about $100 each? Those things were huge, so 100 bucks didn't seem too bad for one of those. They had decent rooted hair too, if I recall correctly.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎