8" retro batman figures coming soon?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roman-i210
    • May 28, 2011

Interesting for sure. I would suppose they will be of similar quality to the western knock offs, huh?
    I would hope they decide to add to the line if it's somewhat successful.
    Someone wrote that they'll be only batman related characters? That would still allow Two Face, Scarcrow, Mr. Freeze, Commissioner Gordon and maybe Nightwing? Kind of be cool if it did. Variations of each miht be slick....

The only thin that is hard to understand is that there are still so many old fiures and parts floatin one ebay it's hard to imagine why you would want new ones when you can put one together with some patience and effort.

Lookin forward to seein where this leads.

Comment

• mikeoz
      Mego Maker
      • Mar 9, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
      Yeah, that's it, that's all. Vote by not buying.
      like!
      Looking for:
      Lincoln Phantom of the Opera

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
        Persistent Member
        • Jun 22, 2011

The new ones are for guys like me. I only collect high grade MIB originals and would never consider putting one together or using repros. The new ones will give me a chance to have perfect figures in package without having to spend thousands of dollars on originals.

Comment

• drogge
          Career Member
          • Jul 24, 2009

I am so excited to get some new Mego. I hope this line is just not a lot of reproduction. I would love some new stuff, as well. Mr Freeze, Egghead, Mad Hatter, and more. Please!!!!

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

I think the '66 license is being misinterpreted.

The Mego Batman design is being recognized by WB as the '66 design.

For example, it would be practical to expect a Batman release closer to West's color scheme, A Batgirl closer to Craig's, a Riddler with Gorshin's suit and a Catwoman in black pleather. Much like the variants they're doing with KISS.

But they're going to be limited as to what they can do because Mattel does own the master '66 license.

So I tend to believe they don't have the same flexibility Doc had with Trek, because that was close to a dead license at the time. Batman '66 is brand new. Doc would know better than me, but I have to believe Matty has first option on all new characters, and they have to be '66 centric, meaning if they didn't appear on the show, it's not part of that license. '66 Batman is a separate deal, just as Arkham City and New 52 are.

As for CTVT representation, I do remember reading it was because they got hammered years ago on the boards for doing the Mego knock-offs with bad product from India.

I would be stunned if they don't extend an olive branch soon. We're looking at KISS prices - 25/figure. Without the Museum support, you're starting in a hole.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

i find it interesting that the CTVT still does not list this news. i would imagine they have been on and seen the posts about it, even if they do not join in

Comment

• ODBJBG
                Permanent Member
                • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by hedrap
                I think the '66 license is being misinterpreted.

The Mego Batman design is being recognized by WB as the '66 design.

For example, it would be practical to expect a Batman release closer to West's color scheme, A Batgirl closer to Craig's, a Riddler with Gorshin's suit and a Catwoman in black pleather. Much like the variants they're doing with KISS.

But they're going to be limited as to what they can do because Mattel does own the master '66 license.

So I tend to believe they don't have the same flexibility Doc had with Trek, because that was close to a dead license at the time. Batman '66 is brand new. Doc would know better than me, but I have to believe Matty has first option on all new characters, and they have to be '66 centric, meaning if they didn't appear on the show, it's not part of that license. '66 Batman is a separate deal, just as Arkham City and New 52 are.
                Mattel doesn't have the master 66 license. LOTS of companies have the 66 license. Mattel has the rights to a 6 inch 66 line. An 8 inch retro line may be an option for a different company. Several companies are doing 66 figures, like Mezco.

But regardless of all that, there's nothing in the press release that says anything about the 66 line. That's all conjecture at this point. I suspect if this had anything to do with the 66 line, it would be marketed as such. This appears to be something totally different. Retro Batman figures. It ties into the 66 stuff only in the fact that a lot of people associate the old Mego Batman figures as being the figures for the Adam West show, even though they weren't.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

We're going to have an update in the next couple of days. It will lead to interesting discussion.

Very Interesting.

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Brown Bear
                    Still Old School
                    • Feb 14, 2008

Business is about to pick up.
                    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Toy-wise, it's kinda interesting how we've gone from the tight-fisted rights deals of the 90's to a more free wheelin' everybody get some situation like the 70's. Could this lead to a new wave of baffling, inappropriate rack toys for strange properties?

Who wants a "Dexter" variant of them old-timey toy shave kits?

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by ctc

Who wants a "Dexter" variant of them old-timey toy shave kits?

I want a series of Rack Toys all loosely involving Ron Swanson.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                          The Packaging King
                          • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by palitoy
                          We're going to have an update in the next couple of days. It will lead to interesting discussion.

Very Interesting.

An Arte Johnson action figure in 8" "Retro" format? Surely sir you jest!
                          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• palitoy
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                            An Arte Johnson action figure in 8" "Retro" format? Surely sir you jest!
                            Surely I do! Just adding to the conjecture.

We're in for interesting times but not "Arte Johnson interesting".

Comment

• jayraytee
                              Career Member
                              • May 27, 2011

If they make them with a higher quality standard than they ever have had in the past, I will buy every figure they make.

If the quality is equal to past releases I will pass on these. My fear with making inferior mego knock-offs has always been that it reduces the respect that these types of figures deserve in the market. You don't want mego type figures synonymous with cheap junk.

They do have an opportunity to be successful, especially considering that the bodies will be closer to mego style apparently.
                              My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• Werewolf
                                Inhuman
                                • Jul 14, 2003

I'm not too concerned about the quality. I bought the first series of the 8 inch and 12 inch Kiss figures as well as the Mad Monster castle and the quality was excellent. If the Batman figures are anything like those we are in for a real treat.
                                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎