X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nobody
    banjo!
    • Jan 26, 2012

Originally posted by drmego
    I heard a few weeks ago that Figures had the '66 Batman for 8 inch and it depressed me.

WB controls the licensing now and my understanding was that if you bring a big enough check,
    and the master licensor is not putting out in that scale, you can have the license.

I don't have that much money. I wish I did.

I opened the 8 inch Gene Simmons and found the quality of the plastic was better but the
    bodies were assembled awkwardly.

Expect these figures to be cheap copies of the originals.

That being said, I wish them luck. Unfortunately the prices will be high because of what they
    have to pay Warner Bros.

I wasn't interested in making dollar store versions of MEGO - I wanted to make the characters
    never made. At least Figures won't have Mattel controlling their production. I hope it's worth
    the money spent on the license.
    I've only read to#80 so far, but I wish Doc had the money for licenses like these or could tell us how much. That Kickstarter thing might have made this possible with the license cash.

Comment

• jayraytee
      Career Member
      • May 27, 2011

Doc Mego doing a kickstarter thing would be pretty dang cool. One band I work for just recorded an album thanks to kickstarter, I bet some collectors would throw some cash in the pot for good new megos.
      My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• Figuremod73
        That 80's guy
        • Jul 27, 2011

To bad they cant order a large batch of Drmego bodies and switch over. That would be a win win.

Comment

• boynightwing
          That Carl Guy
          • Apr 24, 2002

I'm in for the Riddler because I don't have the original. If the bodies are as bad as people say then I'll just take the head and clothes etc and put them on an original body.

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by ODBJBG
            Mattel doesn't have the master 66 license. LOTS of companies have the 66 license. Mattel has the rights to a 6 inch 66 line. An 8 inch retro line may be an option for a different company. Several companies are doing 66 figures, like Mezco.

But regardless of all that, there's nothing in the press release that says anything about the 66 line. That's all conjecture at this point. I suspect if this had anything to do with the 66 line, it would be marketed as such. This appears to be something totally different. Retro Batman figures. It ties into the 66 stuff only in the fact that a lot of people associate the old Mego Batman figures as being the figures for the Adam West show, even though they weren't.
            When it comes to what we're discussing, Mattel technically has the master. CTVT, Hot Toys, etc... are not going to be able to produce competing products because of the larger deal WB has with Mattel. So if it's a scale/style/design Mattel doesn't work in, they've given permission to WB to license it out. If WB was signing these deals as some kind of loophole, Matty could stop it all with an injunction.

As for '66, it's a matter of timing. IMO, we're looking at a few occurrences that made this possible.

1. Mattel got out of the 8-inch retail format and passed on making RA a MattyCollector line.

2. DC Direct closed last Spring, leaving WB with no in-house collectibles division.

So either Batman was only available because WB is licensing non New 52 Batman products, or CTVT went after Batman because of the flood of '66 merch on the way.

I could easily be wrong on this, but there's something about them not releasing a Superman that makes me think they don't have a full DC license. They already have the Superman head and boots in mass production, so he would have been cheaper to include than Joker or Riddler, and it could have rode the Man Of Steel wave.

Comment

• LadyZod
              Superman's Gal Pal
              • Jan 27, 2007

You know, at this point I barely care about the hows and whys. At this point I want to know the when and the how much.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
              Check out my art:
              Art Portfolio@Redbubble
              Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• HardyGirl
                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                • Apr 3, 2007

Exactly!

Originally posted by LadyZod
                You know, at this point I barely care about the hows and whys. At this point I want to know the when and the how much.
                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

No pricing info yet but the article on toynewsi has been updated with a release date of July.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• browboy71
                    Museum Patron
                    • Sep 24, 2012

July is so soon, I need time to save up funds!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                      Invincible Ironing Man
                      • Feb 28, 2008

I've been collecting Megos since the Stone Age, and I have most of them (well, not The Waltons, I admit), so it's not really a big deal for me. I'm missing four or five figures, and I'll wait until I can get them "vintage Mego" instead of new repros.

But it's nice for people (not the least of which kids) still hunting for them to be able to get them. If they bring in new characters or outfits, like a Gorshin Riddler in a suit, I might pick one up.
                      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• JediJaida
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 14, 2008

The only problem I foresee is them getting the rights to Frank's image. Doesn't that still belong to his family? They might not be amenable to the idea, although with the 6" figure being pretty much a dead on likeness, I might be be reading more into this than I should be.
                        JediJaida

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

DC and Fox or whoever got most of the likeness rights lined up before this was even put up for liscense, so if its showing up in one line that pretty much means the other companies that are doing 66 stuff have the same actors and characters to use.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• pmwasson
                            Maker
                            • Sep 12, 2007

I'll be buying a bunch! Can't wait. I really hope they end up making new Batman 66 characters.
                            sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• GHVersion12
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Jan 28, 2012

I am cautiously optimistic about this line but hope for the best as I am excited to get at least one of the figures when they come out.
                              Looking for Mego Thor Helmet and Hammer.
                              Mego 12 inch Captain America shield
                              Flash Gordon Megos
                              Mego Joker original shoes
                              Cast-A-way toys Phantom
                              Remco Frankenstein boots
                              Mego Isis Sandals
                              Tarzan suit

Hello My name is John and I am a MEGOholic.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                                • Apr 3, 2007

Woo-Hoo! My birthday month! All right!

Originally posted by Werewolf
                                No pricing info yet but the article on toynewsi has been updated with a release date of July.
                                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎