Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Godzilla
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 3, 2002

From the repro Western figures, to the monsters, to Space 1999, to the Monster Castle, I have experienced nothing but poor quality items from CTVT. I wish them the best, but I for one will be sitting this one out. The have enough of my money.
    Mortui Vivos Docent
    The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

Well, I missed the chatter about EMCE and now I've got it in spades over CTVT Batman. You know the ole saying: "Be careful what you wish for..."

But seriously, this is fantastic! For collectors and their kids, and all of of who remember drooling over those Batman Mego commercials and pics in the Christmas catalogs. And Brian, I promise not to add to the naysayers if it turns out not to be what I expected.
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

I think it's great that you play action figures w/ your son. When you get the CTVT Batman guys, you'll have to post pics of some of your adventures!

Originally posted by VinMan
        I am happy for sure. I would love to spread the wealth and give them as gifts and maybe help create tomorrows collectors. I just hope the prices are not crazy. Secondly, I love the idea of playing with them myself. My son and I have battles with his retros. We bring them everywhere. I would never take an original Mego off the shelf and out Into the yard.
        With these we can really party!!
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

Never expected to check in at this hour and find this kind of news and then proceed to read 14 pages of responses. I'll wait until they actually show the product. As with KISS, Figure Inc initially advertised with original Mego figures. This looks to be the same scenario. That's not CTVT figures in that ad. So we'll see. I'm more interested in what Dr. Mego said about the company acquiring the '66 license. If that is true, I could be on the hook for those if they look cool. As far as the retro DC heroes, I'll wait and see what they really look like; if the quality matches what they've been doing; and if they plan on charging an insane price for the privilege. If the quality and pricing issues prove negative, these will be an easy pass since I have all of the originals, with many of them in their boxes. Interesting news though. Lets see where this goes.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

kids are the big winner here.

Originally posted by HardyGirl
            I think it's great that you play action figures w/ your son. When you get the CTVT Batman guys, you'll have to post pics of some of your adventures!
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• TomStrong
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 22, 2011

On a professional level I'm sad for Dr. Mego. I bought multiples of every figure in the Retro Action line, even waiting down to the minute for the online exclusives. I have no idea what the quality will be but I'm willing to give them a shot. I bought some stuff from them as we'll as custom stuff from Doc Mego and thought they were both fine. I'm not going to be playing with these or make them do laps on the treadmill so how good does the quality need to be? They're going on a shelf like a great prize along side the few customs I've made. If people don't like CTVT don't buy from them, it's that simple.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                OH JES!!
                • Jul 21, 2005

I dig it and will support it...I'm hoping, they can do Bruce and Dick secret Identities with the costumes included....that would be a cool way to repackage the repros....

Comment

• Corellian Corvette
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 27, 2004

Retro Action screwed the pooch with the awkward body, which let down otherwise good decisions - solid character choices, great headsculpts and well made suits and accessories. Add to that bad inventory management by either Mattel or TRU, and a crazy high price, and it wasn't hard to see why it failed.

If CTVT can hit $19.99 with these, and get some distribution (does anyone even carry CTVT at retail?) and this could do well. Of course, they have the added benefit of being a smaller outfit that can nurture a line like this, vs. Mattel where that was small beans relative to the size of other businesses.

I'm not sure why everyone is so down on CTVT quality. The early bodies were bad, for sure. Most of their accessories and head sculpts have been QUITE good, and I would argue that they have made some pieces that are superior to what was already on the market.

They have been going crazy on the accessories - they already have the alter ego suits (minus Dick Grayson) and as others have mentioned they have some marvel stuff, too.

I have no reason to think based on what they have been doing lately these won't be pretty good. And if the price is good, I could see liking them better then the retro action stuff.
                  Like M.A.S.K.?
                  www.albertpenello.com/mask

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Corellian Corvette
                    If CTVT can hit $19.99 with these, and get some distribution (does anyone even carry CTVT at retail?) and this could do well. Of course, they have the added benefit of being a smaller outfit that can nurture a line like this, vs. Mattel where that was small beans relative to the size of other businesses.
                    I wouldn't hold my breath on that price point. I fully expect these to come in around $24.99. CTVT has never been shy about inflating prices when they think they have a fan base to tap into.

Originally posted by Corellian Corvette
                    I'm not sure why everyone is so down on CTVT quality. The early bodies were bad, for sure. Most of their accessories and head sculpts have been QUITE good, and I would argue that they have made some pieces that are superior to what was already on the market.
                    There are scores of people, myself included, who have bought product many times over and had pieces fall apart straight out of the package. And the replacements are no better. I gave the company another chance with their series one KISS figures (8 inch scale) after I heard vast improvements had been made. And while I didn't have the old problems, I was met with new problems. Outfits that really didn't fit. Bodies so tight they can barely stand. And then some seriously shoddy paint jobs and rooted hair issues. If those figures were Mego priced items from the 70's, these would be moot points. You buy what you pay for. But these were high-end priced figures for this scale. And for all the hoopla over the "improvements", I was left with figures I couldn't pose and simply put them back in the shipping box where they have stayed. These are not issues born from being a nit picky consumer. I saw the pictures and ordered based on what was advertised along with a manufacturing promise for better quality control. I didn't get that. So yes. There are alot of people, like me, that see a similar scenario playing out here. I'm just going to wait and see. I've had enough buyer's remorse with this company, not to take anything they advertise at face value anymore. Even when they have a license I like.

Comment

• torgospizza
                      Theocrat of Pan Tang
                      • Aug 19, 2010

Originally posted by MIB41
                      I fully expect these to come in around $24.99. CTVT has never been shy about inflating prices when they think they have a fan base to tap into.
                      It's going to be all about price for me. There's no reason for me to buy these if I can get original Megos loose for ≅ the same price.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by MIB41
                        There are scores of people, myself included, who have bought product many times over and had pieces fall apart straight out of the package. And the replacements are no better. I gave the company another chance with their series one KISS figures (8 inch scale) after I heard vast improvements had been made. And while I didn't have the old problems, I was met with new problems. Outfits that really didn't fit. Bodies so tight they can barely stand. And then some seriously shoddy paint jobs and rooted hair issues. If those figures were Mego priced items from the 70's, these would be moot points. You buy what you pay for. But these were high-end priced figures for this scale. And for all the hoopla over the "improvements", I was left with figures I couldn't pose and simply put them back in the shipping box where they have stayed. These are not issues born from being a nit picky consumer. I saw the pictures and ordered based on what was advertised along with a manufacturing promise for better quality control. I didn't get that. So yes. There are alot of people, like me, that see a similar scenario playing out here. I'm just going to wait and see. I've had enough buyer's remorse with this company, not to take anything they advertise at face value anymore. Even when they have a license I like.
                        IMO, perfectly expressed.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
                          Surely I do! Just adding to the conjecture.

We're in for interesting times but not "Arte Johnson interesting".

Darn. Just had to burst my bubble.

Comment

• drmego
                            EMCE Toys
                            • Jun 15, 2001

I have to admit that I was bummed out when I heard this news - but it isn't like I had the money to be in the game anyway.
                            I can't begrudge Figures for doing this - WE ALL want to bring back mego. I got a chance to make a lot of great characters and continue to do so.
                            I am working on other projects right now that point in a slightly different direction, but have the same ultimate goal I have always had - keeping the
                            8 inch format alive for the future.

Originally posted by TomStrong
                            On a professional level I'm sad for Dr. Mego. I bought multiples of every figure in the Retro Action line, even waiting down to the minute for the online exclusives. I have no idea what the quality will be but I'm willing to give them a shot. I bought some stuff from them as we'll as custom stuff from Doc Mego and thought they were both fine. I'm not going to be playing with these or make them do laps on the treadmill so how good does the quality need to be? They're going on a shelf like a great prize along side the few customs I've made. If people don't like CTVT don't buy from them, it's that simple.
                            www.drmego.com
                            www.megoman.com
                            www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• Mego Milk
                              Custom Mego Maker
                              • Jun 3, 2007

Aw yeah Doc!

The future is ours!

Comment

• Mego Milk
                                Custom Mego Maker