X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KnightDetective
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 31, 2012

Action Jackson repro heads - quality?

I thought the modern Mego reissues of AJ had well done repro heads. Does anyone know if the FTC heads compare favorably?

They look a little off on the website but sometimes it's hard to go by their product images. I've been pleasantly surprised with things that didn't impress me in photos (and vice versa!)

Budget being tighter these days, I'd like a better idea of what to expect. Any opinions are appreciated!
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

They look like the old heads more than the new release Mego head does. This is not necessarily a good thing. Plus the lips are overly colored. I give them a solid B as a grade

Comment

• KnightDetective
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 31, 2012

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
      They look like the old heads more than the new release Mego head does. This is not necessarily a good thing. Plus the lips are overly colored. I give them a solid B as a grade
      Thanks! I may just wait and see if White Elephant Toyz does a run of these in the future. Love my original, lucked out with a good paint job, but would like a higher quality casting/deco for customs.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 29, 2018

I have a couple and they aren’t bad exactly. The new version from New Mego is a more masculine sculpt and just looks better than the old sculpt. The old original AJ has a cheap look to me. It looks weak chinned and just not very manly. The CTVT/FTC version is very similar. And while the old ones have so much missing paint from either too much action or just bad paint applications, the new CTVT version seems to overcompensate with thick paint. It looks like it is so much paint it is blurring the details of the hair sculpt or those details were lost when they copied an original head. It’s a less detailed version of the original sculpt in either case. Plus those burgundy red lips just look weird. If you wanted to qtip some acetone and take some of that paint off it would help. A lot. I was not a fan of the original sculpt. I am not a huge fan of the CTVT sculpt but I think it could be improved. The New Mego sculpt is better but still not anybody’s best work. I think a better AJ line could have been done using the Knights, Western Heroes, and Robin Hood sculpts with a theft of Deacon from LJN. But that’s my three cents
        Last edited by Megotastrophe; Jan 14, '24, 10:35 AM. Reason: Weird auto correct

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
          Often invisible
          • Jul 18, 2002

Mego’s 2018 Action Jackson didn’t have a new sculpt. A new mold was made from an original head.
          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• darkbros
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 3, 2012

Here are comparison shots which will hopefully help.

LEFT: OEM AJ. Center: FTC AJ. RIGHT: NuMego AJ

IMG_8452.jpg IMG_8457.jpg IMG_8453.jpg
            Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
            https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------
            "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

NuMego didn’t make a Bearded AJ? I thought I had seen one on ebay unless the beard was custom painted on?

Comment

• KnightDetective
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 31, 2012

Originally posted by darkbros
                Here are comparison shots which will hopefully help.
                Wow, thank you for that! Super helpful!

It's not that bad. As Megotastrophe pointed out, the detail is a little soft. You know, if it were pristine I would likely hesitate, but as is, I wouldn't feel bad about experimenting with that. Repaint the eyes, maybe try my hand at flocking. Hmmm...

Thanks all, I appreciate the help!

Comment

• darkbros
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 3, 2012

Originally posted by TrekStar
                  NuMego didn’t make a Bearded AJ? I thought I had seen one on ebay unless the beard was custom painted on?
                  it was most likely accustomed. They only made clean-shaven.
                  Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                  https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                  "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎