Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Falstaff13
    Persistent Member
    • May 28, 2008

There's a FB group devoted to the Broadway show with Superman, and that group is promoting that the figure is of Bob Holiday (who starred in the role on Broadway, in some shows on the West Coast, for an LP, and some commercials). It does look like him. I've always thought Holiday favored Reeves some, and so there's a little connection there, and of course that musical was on during the Batmania craze, so it would track to have him as the Superman here.
    Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
    Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• The Batman Professor
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 15, 2010

Originally posted by Falstaff13
      There's a FB group devoted to the Broadway show with Superman, and that group is promoting that the figure is of Bob Holiday (who starred in the role on Broadway, in some shows on the West Coast, for an LP, and some commercials). It does look like him. I've always thought Holiday favored Reeves some, and so there's a little connection there, and of course that musical was on during the Batmania craze, so it would track to have him as the Superman here.
      That makes sense more than anything else.
      sigpicSWEAR TO ME!

Comment

• B-Lister
        Eccentric Weirdo
        • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by B-Lister
        I think Laser Mego did one some years back.
        I was right.

IMG_0697.jpg
        Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I'm not seeing much of Holiday in there, myself. Holiday had a rounder, but very rugged face, and a barrel-chested look about him. Plus, he had the spit curl. And of course his cape was attached correctly at the collar bone.

Not to keep banging on about this, but this one is really weird. It's like McFarlane had an actor head from a scrapped line and cobbled together a Superman figure, and dumped it into Batman '66. So odd.
          sigpic

Comment

• Falstaff13
            Persistent Member
            • May 28, 2008

I don't see it as clearly as the group members do, and it may be more wish fulfillment to have a figure of that version of Superman. I'm attaching the pic shared in that group, and...I can kinda see it, but I agree it's not a great likeness. The idea of recognizing that Supes is a good one, and it would be cool if it were clearer (for whomever it might be meant to be). Even if it is based on Holiday, the S is different.
            365971344_3724169057814607_3190365921052966046_n.jpg
            Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
            Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Big fan of the musical; I see little of Holiday there. To me, the nose is off and the general look is too lean. I don't get the collar at all--no Superman I know of has ever had a cape like that.
              Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 8, '23, 9:43 AM.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Count_Popula
                Museum Super Collector
                • Aug 28, 2018

The more I see this Supes, the more I'm sure I'll have to pass. I can also live without Mardi Gras Joker. But Lord Death Man and Robot Batman are musts, and I'd like to see other characters from the Batman '66 comic, including the luchador Bane and Killer Croc.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Maybe they were trying to capture actor Clint Walker, often fan-casted as the perfect 60s Superman? He still looks a bit too thin and lean for Walker, though.

sigpic

Comment

• The Batman Professor
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 15, 2010

LORD DEATH MAN in the house:

sigpicSWEAR TO ME!

Comment

• TRDouble
                      Permanent Member
                      • Jul 10, 2012

Lord Death Man looks good. That's the only one I am still waiting on.

The reissue Batman is a very slight shade darker, like the Scuba Batman, but not enough as a reason to swap from the original. But the cowl is now matte instead of shiny, which looks better, so I swapped. Same might be said for reissue Robin's head, but it's barely noticeable on him.

I am a little torn because I love the line and while Batgirl fits in well enough and fills a huge void, the new Joker and Superman don't really have a place in the shelf line-up for me. I can fit Lord Death Man in, just like Two-Face, but I don't know if more of the comics versions of characters is going to work for me.

Seeing that this line might be transforming to include other properties, like the Adventures of Batman (which I assume is Filmation), it might not matter anyway.

Comment

• B-Lister
                        Eccentric Weirdo
                        • Mar 19, 2010

I need Lord Death Man.
                        Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Count_Popula
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Aug 28, 2018

Got my LDM and Robot Batman yesterday. Love 'em both. Robot Batman comes with a better cape than real Batman got.

Comment

• B-Lister
                            Eccentric Weirdo
                            • Mar 19, 2010

Just got a Lord Death Man.

Good thing I planned on opening him, because Amazon wrecked the package.

Comment

• Count_Popula
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Aug 28, 2018

In the comic, Robot Batman was very large. The toy would have to be Shogun Warrior sized to scale appropriately with this line. But I photographed him with a slightly smaller Batman for effect. Looks good. I also caved and bought the "Mardi Gras" Joker, as I call him. He's pretty cool. I'm going to put a FTC Joker's utility belt on him.

Anyway, this is currently one of my very favorite lines and I hope it keeps going. In addition to these, I recently got Batgirl and the Boxing Riddler, and Wayne Manor Library. I'd still love to see the Bat-Copter, John Astin Riddler, Michael Rennie Sandman, False Face, and from the comic ... Solomon Grundy, Killer Croc, and Clay Face!

20231108_115543.jpg

20231108_115729.jpg
                              Last edited by Count_Popula; Nov 12, '23, 4:34 PM.

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
                                Veteran Member
                                • Feb 15, 2010

This line has been a favorite of mine. I still hope McFarlane releases figures of Alfred, Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson (in street clothes), Mad Hatter, and BookWorm.

Barnabas Collins

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎