Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You shouldn't need the skills of a safe cracker to open a toy package.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

You shouldn't need the skills of a safe cracker to open a toy package.

Good grief.

After ten minutes of tape peeling and rubber band cutting the dolls were still stuck to the plastic tray.

I finally had to get a wire cutter, to snip the plastic wires, to get them out.

Sure, I can kind of understand for action figures which do have problems with getting swapped out and returned. But for something like this, it's overkill.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Apr 24, '16, 9:29 PM. Reason: typos
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Marvelmania
    A Ray of Sunshine
    • Jun 17, 2001

Wow they really didn't want you to get those out. Just to add to the list that you mentioned, some figures are in such thick plastic it's hard to cut open and also the plastic is sharp as a razor.

Comment

• megomania
      Persistent Member
      • Jan 2, 2010

Originally posted by Werewolf
      Sure, I can kind of understand for action figures which do have problems with getting swapped out and returned. But for something like this, it's overkill.
      You mean dolls? Haha totally kidding :-)

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Marvelmania
        Wow they really didn't want you to get those out.
        It probably took me twenty minutes to get them all out. I can't imagine how frustrating this would be for little kids.

Originally posted by megomania
        You mean dolls? Haha totally kidding :-)
        Lol, yeah, don't get people started on that again.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Brown Bear
          Still Old School
          • Feb 14, 2008

I feel your pain. Opening toys these days is like defusing a nuclear weapon. Christmas morning can easy mean three hours spent just "opening".
          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Brown Bear
            Christmas morning can easy mean three hours spent just "opening".
            Oh, wow yeah, I can see that being a real chore for parents at Christmas.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

One of the worst cuts I've ever had was on one of those heat-salad Emce packages. I used kitchen shears to cut around the perimeter but the clamshell was still like a razor.

I hate tape on toys and its %^$#*(#@ residue. But wire cutters are always handy.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• rche
                channeling Bob Wills
                • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                One of the worst cuts I've ever had was on one of those heat-salad Emce packages. I used kitchen shears to cut around the perimeter but the clamshell was still like a razor.

I hate tape on toys and its %^$#*(#@ residue. But wire cutters are always handy.
                I have also had a pretty major bloodletting with an EMCE clam.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I feel your pain. Seems like it's worse for dolls with hair. I know Mattel stitches their Barbies into the backer. When Dani gets anything like that, I hand it to Cindy. She's had years of practice cracking their near indecipherable unpackaging code.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

Isn't it ironic that allot of the figure lines aimed at the older generation (deemed "collectors")are NOT as concerned with presentation in the box? Like anything there are exceptions, but in the ReMego division, that's pretty rare.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                      Invincible Ironing Man
                      • Feb 28, 2008

I collect Sideshow 12" figures, and some of those are insanely strapped in. One really long wire comes from the back of the plastic tray, goes into the collar of the figure, underneath the clothes, then completely around one shoulder, then to the other shoulder, around that, and then back up, out of the collar, and back in the plastic tray.
                      I had to strip the Invisible Man down to his shorts to get him loose. One bonus: I found out his body was see-through.
                      And that was just ONE of the wires.
                      Somewhere in China, there's a ex-factory worker in a mental hospital, and all he can say is "wires...wires...wires...."
                      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                        Invincible Ironing Man
                        • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by MIB41
                        Isn't it ironic that allot of the figure lines aimed at the older generation (deemed "collectors")are NOT as concerned with presentation in the box? Like anything there are exceptions, but in the ReMego division, that's pretty rare.
                        And all those wires really mess up the clothes, scrunching them up. Can't they leave just a little space?
                        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                          I know Mattel stitches their Barbies into the backer. When Dani gets anything like that, I hand it to Cindy. She's had years of practice cracking their near indecipherable unpackaging code.
                          Yeah, a lot of Barbies have their hair stitched between two plastic strips which you have to pull apart to get the doll out. The Strawberry in this set was sort of like that but worse. The hair was stitched into one plastic strip that was folded around the doll's hair. I had to use a seam ripper to get the hair out.

Comment

• Thor
                            Thunder God
                            • Dec 17, 2009

That's true. I've had to use a sharp knife to cut through clam shell packaging.
                            sigpic

"I've seen things you wouldn't believe."

- Roy Batty

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

I finally got one of those Shopkins Shoppies and it's in a clam shell. What the heck!? It also had one of those plastic staple like things holding her head into the plastic tray inside. I had to get a pliers to pull it out. It's gotta frustrate the heck out of little kids getting these open.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎