Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hasbro's new Star Wars toys are JUNK. Buyer beware!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Hasbro's new Star Wars toys are JUNK. Buyer beware!

Soooo...I finally broke down and bought the new cool looking X-Wing fighter. What a mistake. IDK if this is because of Disney pushing safety regulations, or demanding a higher profit margin or what, but the quality of this toy is an absolute JOKE, and this is a $50 vehicle. It is by no means inexpensive.

Where to begin...all four guns are made of soft plastic and are ultra warped right out of the package. I tried to straighten them to no avail. They look like absolute CRAP. Second, the pilot figure that comes with the X-Wing doesn't even fit inside the cockpit! WTH? Did anyone at Hasbro even look at this thing when they designed it? What kind of moron makes the cockpit smaller than the figure that's supposed to go inside it?

Very little paint and it looks cheap. Absolutely NO weathering of any kind. My Classic X-Wing from five years ago has TONS of paint apps, and it was $10 cheaper!
    Finally, the entire nosecone of the X-Wing is RUBBER. And not good rubber, but that cheap stuff that degrades after just a few years. I thought maybe I bought a lemon, so I looked up some reviews, and this guy sums it up perfectly. I just finished reboxing this $50 abomination. It's going back to the store first thing tomorrow.

It's amazing to me that Kenner made better quality vehicles over 30 years ago.

• Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

I bought it. I think it's really nice. Very Kenner. The cannons are bent because of the way they packed them in the cardboard. Packing them in a baggy or plastic tray would have solved this issue. I fixed them by soaking them in hot water and then straightened them.

The figure included does fit. It is tricky because his arms are molded so far away from his sides. You have to bend him slightly at the hips and squeeze his arms together. The single carded Poe X-Wing pilot fits just fine. They should have packed that figure in with the ship.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Sep 22, '15, 11:51 PM. Reason: typos
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• RickD
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 31, 2011

A little girl or boy who rips this thing out of the box just wants to play with it. Probably doesn't care if the cannons are bent. The only thing I have an issue with is the price tag. $50 bucks is a lot of money to spend for this toy.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

^You're probably right. Kids may not care.
        As a collector though, I expect better than this, especially at this price point. And these are marketed to collectors as much as kids.
        I'm glad Werewolf was able to straighten her cannons out. I wasn't. I also didn't force the pilot figure into the cockpit for fear of breaking it or severely loosening the arms.

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

Won't they have a black series of these coming out that should be more collector friendly?
          Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

I think toy safety standards have changed a lot of material choices over the years. That, and the sheer volume of those things they intend to sell probably.

Makes me long to hunt down a cherry mint vintage X-Wing. Nice and white, with that red light and annoying noise effect.

Comment

• Bantha5
              Museum Super Collector
              • May 2, 2013

The whole force awakens line has been a huge disappointment. I just don't understand the "Hasbro Sucks" deniers.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
                I think toy safety standards have changed a lot of material choices over the years. .
                That's definitely a part of it. The ship is actually quite nice. The issues with it, frustrating people, could have been easily avoided had Hasbro packed the wing cannons better and included a different figure. It wasn't a wise choice to pack in a figure with arms sticking out so far. The single carded figure has arms close to the body and fits perfectly.

It's a shame because it's actually a really good toy and a nice homage to the original Kenner X-Wing with the way you push down BB-8 to open the wings.

There's a white and blue version coming out as store exclusive. Hopefully they will pack the wing cannons better.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 20, 2011

At least this thread and that video tell me why, in all my 51 years, I have NEVER bought a STAR WARS toy. No reason to buck that trend for this cheaply made crap. I can see one of these in several pieces on Christmas Day only a couple of hours after the kiddies get ahold of it. Probably fall apart faster than Stark's armor in IRON MAN 3!
                  Last edited by emeraldknight47; Sep 23, '15, 10:28 AM.
                  sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Frank
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2, 2009

What stores is this showing up in?

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Frank
                      What stores is this showing up in?
                      I've seen the X-Wing and Tie Fighter at Target and Toys R Us. They are a little hard to find because they sell really fast.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                        Invincible Ironing Man
                        • Feb 28, 2008

With all the rubber parts, I guess this one is aimed firmly at "kids safety".
                        And I can understand that, but maybe they can make a "kids version" and a "collector's version", with a clear distinction between the two.
                        I don't think a collector should have to "fix" his purchase, straight out of the box. It's like some 8" figures. "It's a great figure, just put it on a new body, and fix the outfit, etc etc".
                        No, if they could sell you a great toy a couple of years ago (like the Wedge "large wing" X-Wing, which is perfect), they can do the same thing now.
                        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• enyawd72
                          Maker of Monsters!
                          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                          With all the rubber parts, I guess this one is aimed firmly at "kids safety".
                          And I can understand that, but maybe they can make a "kids version" and a "collector's version", with a clear distinction between the two.
                          I don't think a collector should have to "fix" his purchase, straight out of the box. It's like some 8" figures. "It's a great figure, just put it on a new body, and fix the outfit, etc etc".
                          No, if they could sell you a great toy a couple of years ago (like the Wedge "large wing" X-Wing, which is perfect), they can do the same thing now.
                          Bingo! I have the Wedge X-Wing and it's freaking awesome...it was also $10 cheaper. Try wrapping your head around that.

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                            It's like some 8" figures. "It's a great figure, just put it on a new body, and fix the outfit, etc etc".
                            Hasbro should have packed the cannons better and hopefully they will do a running change to the packaging. It's disappointing that is happening when it could have been easily avoided. But comparing that to all the re-mego issues isn't really accurate. It took me five minutes total the straighten the plastic cannons. I didn't have to replace any parts, customize or sew.

The Force Awakens line is a toy line, not a collector one. So, it's going to err on the side of child safety in design and materials. It's also going to have action features kids enjoy like Nerf missiles in the Falcon.

I'm really liking The Force Awakens toys and having more fun collecting this stuff then I have had collecting SW in several years. But then, I love Kenner. I still totally understand it's not to everyone's tastes. 3 3/4 inch Force Awakens Black Series figures are coming. So there are collector style figures coming.

I prefer the Kenner/POTF2 X-Wing over the larger one most recently released as Biggs X-Wing. The problem with the Biggs X-Wing is, it's getting too big to be a toy for kids but is still too undersized for adults wanting true movie scale. The Biggs X-Wing is just fine for a collector (the wings on mine are a little floppy) but I still prefer the Kenner/POTF2 version. Because I think it's the better toy.

Comment

• acrovader
                              Career Member
                              • Jan 19, 2011

The toys look bad, in a POTF2 kind of way.
                              I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎