X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Funko Reaction: Jaws, Scarface, Flash, Arrow, etc

Plus more Trek and others. As usual some odd choices for a retro line.

Funko had a TON of surprises when it came to ReAction Figures at Toy Fair 2015. We also got our first look at some highly anticipated 6" Legacy Figures. Here's what they had: Legacy Firefly The Rocketeer Game of Thrones Evolve - Looked Like No Pics Allowed ReAction Flash TV Series Arrow TV Series Jaws...
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • phil
    Persistent Member
    • May 11, 2007

Taxi Driver?!? I hope they're careful about what stores sell them or we can expect another "controversy" over inappropriate
    "toys".

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

I think maybe Funko just doesn't quite get it when it comes to Kenner. It seems at times they think Kenner means an iffy likeness on any license they can get their hands on.

Also the actual retro licenses like Universal Monsters and Nightmare Before Christmas sell best in my area. They get cleared out quickly and the display is left with Pulp Fiction.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• phil
        Persistent Member
        • May 11, 2007

I couldn't tell from the photos but is the Taxi Driver just Travis Bickle or an actual line? I know they've done Pulp Fiction and are doing Scarface but Taxi Driver seems like a serious What The.... to me.

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

I fully admit, I'm an apologist for these figures, but…

There are a LOT of things they are doing right. And they outweigh the things they are doing wrong. It's easy to criticize the big faceless corporation because there's less labor of love, but these guys are gonna get a lot of money from me. This is pretty exciting stuff!

But for the love of God, would someone please show more pics of the JAWS figures!!?!??! They look positively sublime!

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

I love Kenner and the Kenner style. I think it's awesome new figures are being made in that 70s/80s 3 3/4 inch style. I bought all of the NBC, Universal Monsters, Rocketeer and first series of Alien. I will support them when they get it right or even close to it, like the Trek. But when I see license choices like Pulp Fiction, Taxi Driver, etc., I'm gonna pass.

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Me too. I'm not buying those. I think it's fine that they exist, but the choices are so varied that it's like Egg Shen said in Big Trouble in Little China: "We take what we want and leave the rest, just like your salad bar." There's something for everybody.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
                I think it's fine that they exist
                It's not a problem figures of those properties exist. The problem is they exist in a retro line aimed at people nostalgic for Kenner.

I have zero interest in stuff like Goonies, Karate Kid and Back to the Future. But they make total sense. Now, stuff like Taxi Driver, Breaking Bad and Pulp fiction doesn't. To me, that shows Funko doesn't really quite get it.

Comment

• Joshua the Atomic Robot
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 14, 2012

Originally posted by phil
                  I couldn't tell from the photos but is the Taxi Driver just Travis Bickle or an actual line? I know they've done Pulp Fiction and are doing Scarface but Taxi Driver seems like a serious What The.... to me.
                  Just a one-off figure, like the Scarface one.

But for the love of God, would someone please show more pics of the JAWS figures!!?!??! They look positively sublime!
                  Those Jaws figures actually look like they have dead-on likenesses, too. Not the usual "cartoony kinda-sorta looks like the actor if you squint" likenesses.

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

I guess the Scarface and Taxi Driver and Pulp Fiction make about as much sense as ALIEN figures. I mean, they are toys from R-Rated films that aren't really appropriate for kids.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

I guess the Scarface and Taxi Driver and Pulp Fiction make about as much sense as ALIEN figures.
                      Alien was sci-fi horror and based on unreleased protos actually made by Kenner in the late 70s. The Alien Monster and space suits are also fairly toyetic. Can you say the same about Pulp Fiction or Taxi Driver? Would Kenner have done a line of Travis Bickle figures in 76? I kinda doubt it.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                        Wake Up Heavy
                        • Jan 31, 2010

I think we're way past the "retro" or Kenner aspect of this line. These are adult collectibles in the same way as their Pop! figures are. I ain't buying my kid Walking Dead figures just because they're on a cute platform. These movie/TV licenses are clearly aimed at adults just like us, who collect toys based on properties they like. I'll be buying Travis Bickle the second it comes out. For me!

I'm an apologist for these figures as well, and the debate about what constitutes a retro line gets old after awhile. The thing that's retro about these are that they are 3 3/4" with 5 POA. Why does it also have to mean only '70s properties (which Taxi Driver is, BTW)?
                        Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• RickD
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 31, 2011

I'm looking forward to buying that Jaws Shark. That looks awesome

Comment

• Captain
                            Fighting the good fight!
                            • Jun 17, 2001

I kept hoping Hasbro would do something cool in 3 3/4" when they got the license. Guess I'll have to settle for these. They aren't horrible, just....lacking.
                            "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• Godzilla
                              Permanent Member
                              • Nov 3, 2002

I like the Gorn and Vina is promising. I'd like to see a closer picture of her. Kirk does not impress me.

Tomorrowland is an interesting choice. Why do retro styled figures of a new movie?
                              Mortui Vivos Docent
                              The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎