Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is Hot toys dying out? anyone get any good deals on them lately?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

I think it depends on the character in question. The Batman '66 figures seemed to get a lukewarm response which is really interesting when you consider how well the box sets are selling. But I guess it's like anything. The market drawn to the Batman '66 license may not share the same passion for a Hot Toys product. Just because something is popular doesn't necessarily mean it has a strong base for a high end figure. Hot Toys core market may be younger and less engaged with this specific license and so there is not enough demand to keep these figures at retail or above in the aftermarket. But you can take a figure like the last Jack Sparrow DX figure and it still sales between $300 to $500 a pop.

I think what IS wearing thin is the general novelty of having a Hot Toys figure. It use to be ANY Hot Toys figure was a big deal. Now it's becoming more license specific. There's enough saturation that even Hot Toys can underachieve on some of these releases now. And of course that will bleed to the aftermarket if demand doesn't feed that sector. I think the Batman '66 figure may be symptomatic of that. And like any hobby, there's ebb and flows. The diehards who have mass collections of these figures may be trying to make space, so some good deals can probably be found from time to time. The Mego hobby has certainly seen those patterns.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Hedji
      Hot Toys and Sideshow have effectively achieved Shock and Awe, but at the expense of sacrificing the Fun of collecting. They are amazing to behold, true. But it is impossible to feel good about yourself after dropping $250 on a doll.
      Bingo. That is exactly why I've gone back to modeling. For $26 and a little work (which is actually relaxing and fun) I have a Batman '66 figure every bit as nice as theirs. (And equally fragile, but hey, it was $26 and not $200)

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Hedji
        Hot Toys and Sideshow have effectively achieved Shock and Awe, but at the expense of sacrificing the Fun of collecting. They are amazing to behold, true. But it is impossible to feel good about yourself after dropping $250 on a doll.

I'm watching them attack the wallets with their Star Wars license, and though it pains me, I'll walk on past and take my seat back in coach, thank you.
        I think the cost of this is relative to anything we buy on the market, be it cars, homes, TV's, or things we collect as a hobby. There's a demand that drives that price. Thusly we only have ourselves to blame for a company's prosperity if the cost doesn't meet with our personal assessment, yet we buy it anyway. I think we call it buyers remorse. And with this hobby in particular, there seems to be this desire to dumb down the product description when we lose interest in it or the pricing. I think that will always be subjective instead of literal.

When we had guests over for Thanksgiving, I had some Hot Toys figures on display in my trophy case that became a nice conversation piece. One of my family members thought they were statues. Another didn't have a definition, he was just in awe of them. And if I had to guess, I would say "doll" was not likely a term that fit the reaction these pieces got. Now if they saw my Mego collection, I could see a direct correlation between their appearance and the definition of a doll. Hot Toys? Not likely. That's like someone pulling up in a Jaguar and you stating, "Let's go for a ride in your clunker." Really? So, for me, if I grow tired of something, I just call it for what it is, rather than redefining what it's not.

I've been cleaning out my collection, and adding some new things too. There's an influx, but it's also based on my perception of value. I value space quite a bit right now so that plays a role in what I remove and also what put back in. But I don't feel any need to devalue those things I'm selling. I could very well repurchase them at a later date should space cease to be an issue or my interest in those items become agreeable again. But for me, there's definitely a measure of craft that applies to what I pay for. If I become disillusioned about it, I tend to place that ownership on myself. The Hot Toys collection I have is not huge. I very purposely went after very specific characters I wanted to have in my collection because I understood they would be pieces I would always keep. I have zero buyer's remorse. My hope and desire is for those pieces (above anything else) to be kept in my family after I'm gone because of their craftsmanship and universal enjoyment by most anyone who sees them.

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

I mean I really hope it stays strong.. I'd still be in for a couple a year if the deal was right. But at these first release prices it's very hard..I like that the older ones are still holding strong. My guess is that they saw what these were selling for a year after they were released and they started to over produce them and not they're stuck with a ton of them.. I hope if they keep similar prices to what they have not that they'd at least produce them in limited quantities of like 500-1000 ...Like that Avengers Tony stark Ironman they had at one time that sold out in like a day....If not then just drop the darn prices to begin with
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• warlock664
            Persistent Member
            • Feb 15, 2009

You make some great points, Tom. My wife had a couple of girlfriends over a few weeks ago, and both were impressed by my Hot Toys collection in the home theater room (displayed in Detolf cases from Ikea). Despite the name, they don't look a bit like the "toys" I grew up playing with!

Here's a link to a video on Sideshow's website, Hot Toys were recently the subject of a CNN feature:

Comment

• toys2cool
              Ultimate Mego Warrior
              • Nov 27, 2006

By the way i actually love the 66 Batman...he's perfection to me and still worth every penny ... That's one of the few that I didn't get a super deal on and I don't regret it

Comment

• toys2cool
                Ultimate Mego Warrior
                • Nov 27, 2006

yea but your collection looks like a freakin Hot toys museum lol
                Originally posted by warlock664
                You make some great points, Tom. My wife had a couple of girlfriends over a few weeks ago, and both were impressed by my Hot Toys collection in the home theater room (displayed in Detolf cases from Ikea). Despite the name, they don't look a bit like the "toys" I grew up playing with!

Here's a link to a video on Sideshow's website, Hot Toys were recently the subject of a CNN feature:

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/blog/hot-...lognews_120514

Comment

• ScottA
                  Original Member
                  • Jun 25, 2001

I still want the 66 Batman and Robin but I gotta get a job first. They would be my first HT figures ever.
                  sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• toys2cool
                    Ultimate Mego Warrior
                    • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by ScottA
                    I still want the 66 Batman and Robin but I gotta get a job first. They would be my first HT figures ever.
                    Get them asap... they're amazing.. if possible sell something you don't care too much about and buy at least the Bats

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by toys2cool
                      By the way i actually love the 66 Batman...he's perfection to me and still worth every penny ... That's one of the few that I didn't get a super deal on and I don't regret it
                      Oh yes! I agree! I got the 1966 Batman and Robin Hot Toys figures and I'm just in awe of them. For me its a dream come true on so many levels to have figures so faithfully and realistically reproduced from my childhood. What were the chances of that? For most of our lives, not very good ones.

Comment

• Bantha5
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • May 2, 2013

Only Hot Toys figure I have is a 66 Batman, and I don't even like the show ( I know blasphemy). I have no interest in any others, although the Han and Chewie are tempting. But with all the reveals lately, that is a path I do not want to go down. Ryan

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                          Invincible Ironing Man
                          • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Bantha5
                          Only Hot Toys figure I have is a 66 Batman, and I don't even like the show ( I know blasphemy).
                          And I love the show, but don't have the HT figure.
                          If you want to get rid of the stain of blasphemy...
                          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Bantha5
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • May 2, 2013

Adam West looked great as Batman, just never liked the show, even as a kid.

Comment

• rlkrefft
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 14, 2010

Originally posted by torgospizza
                              I wouldn't be surprised if we see Cesar Romero, since they said they're going to make more Batman '66 figures (fingers crossed for a Batgirl), but I doubt if we'll ever get a Ferrigno Hulk. HT is really Asia-based in their tastes to the degree we'll probably never see a Conan (this is me guessing based on interviews I've read w/ Howard Chan), unless Arnold makes that rumored King Conan film. I don't think HT gets our culture--they know and love Johnny Depp, so we get a Tonto, but no Lone Ranger. Well, who's buying a stand-alone Tonto?
                              Where was it said HT was making more Batman 1966 figures? They still haven't even put out the Batmobile. I won't buy the villains unless they make all 4. Batgirl I would for sure buy to complete the trio of heroes.

Comment

• torgospizza
                                Theocrat of Pan Tang
                                • Aug 19, 2010

Originally posted by rlkrefft
                                Where was it said HT was making more Batman 1966 figures?
                                In an interview with OSR. Here's a link: http://collectorsclub.forumfree.it/?...entry564866630

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎