X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Toyguru leaves Mattel

October 17th, 2014 (Los Angeles) – Mattel brand manager Scott “Toy Guru” Neitlich handed in his letter of resignation this morning at Mattel. After 9 years of making collector product at Mattel, Scott was headhunted by another toy company and has accepted that position. While Scott has not yet announced his new role or what company it will be with he assures fans that he will still be making collector product on some major, high profile brands.

Scott was kind enough to sit down with AFi today and do an exclusive, emotional interview just hours after he turned in his letter of resignation and look back on his 9 years at Mattel. He talks about the possible future of MattyCollector.com, what will happen to the Masters of the Universe Classics line without him, things he is most proud of, things that he didn’t get to do and his message of thanks to all the fans.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

If you want to listen to him high five himself and then whine about the collectors not backing him than go to the website:

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/a...s-from-mattel/

I am not going post it here and it is really too long (36 minutes) and I just do not care to here him complain about collectors not spending enough money to help him complete his collection.
    Last edited by monitor_ep; Oct 19, '14, 12:14 AM.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• Toy Timelord
      Banned
      • Aug 4, 2014

It's a shame...

That he lasted so long at Mattel, and rumor has it he'll next be stinking up Star Wars Black.

But with all of the unwanted Hans, Greedos, and Leia's, to be honest, I would have thought he had been running that line for the last year.

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

Another lineup that I just did not understand why they put out. I have no intentions on buying Star Wars 6 inch figures. Lord knows I have a few storage locker full of small size Star Wars figures. Why would I want to start over again for the third time.
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• Toy Timelord
          Banned
          • Aug 4, 2014

6" scale makes a ton of sense. 6" is a highly collected scale. I'm very selective about the line, but I do like it. I'm seriously burnt out on the 3.75" scale. The only thing that would interest me at this point would be ReAction/Vintage style figures of characters that were never made in the vintage line.

Just because it doesn't make sense to you, doesn't mean it doesn't make perfect sense to myself, and others.

Comment

• monitor_ep
            Talkative Member
            • May 11, 2013

Now a Mego style would be interesting.
            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• jimsmegos
              Mego Dork
              • Nov 9, 2008

I wish him well but honestly, in the past he did come off as a bit whiny so I'm gonna pass on watching / listening to the interview. As far as the 6 inch figures I gotta say I'm impressed with the Star Wars Black. Not thrilled however. Tonight I picked up a Han at the Disney Store in Branson, MO. Why after all this time did I finally succumb? Because they were on clearance for $9.99, I'm cheap and my curiosity deserved the $9.99 to be spent to appease it i brought him home. It is a very nice figure, well sculpted, articulation for days and good paint. Personally wouldn't want to get too sucked in. I will of course be getting a Chewbacca to go along with him eventually (it's law) but that's about it. I wouldn't mind a Vader and a Stormtrooper but that's it. Greedo? Nope. Fett? Overrated. Slave Leia? Totally over it circa 1997.

Comment

• Toy Timelord
                Banned
                • Aug 4, 2014

I have Han and Greedo (big Greedo fan). I want Vader.

Comment

• LordMudd
                  Persistent Member
                  • Aug 22, 2011

Because of space considerations, I have had to limit myself to 3.75 scale. It works better with the playsets too. I like having my imaginary world to pose my collection in. One reason I had no mercy for Scott, His position made him responsible for seeing to it Mattel was consistent with their scale. So exactly what scale was YJ supposed to be? I can't stand MotU either, so I just don't see what support we were supposed to be giving him.

Now, at $9.99 I MIGHT break down and get a Slave Leia, just because....

CCC.
                  Last edited by LordMudd; Oct 19, '14, 10:22 AM. Reason: spell check

Comment

• ovenmitt
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 26, 2009

I like Star Wars Black 6" a scale I have wanted for years but $20 each is steep! Would Scott start a Star Wars Mego 8" line since he did Mattel DC 8" Retro Action?

Comment

• huedell
                      Museum Ball Eater
                      • Dec 31, 2003

ToyGuru did a stupendous job w/MOTUC... wasn't too shabby all-around @ Mattel...and is underrated by most of his detractors (most of whom don't even realize how much extra his face-time bolstered Mattel, and yet also wasn't particularly an official part of his job description).

Most detractors are bothered by his ego and supposedly self-centered agenda... yes, well, that's what worked for him so well. So, congrats are in order. Cheers.

The SW 6 in. Black Series?

My favorite line behind MOTUC at the moment.

I think it's a crazy coincidental idea he'd go right to that. That said: It could only benefit from TG's input as far as I can presently see it.
                      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Toy Timelord
                        Banned
                        • Aug 4, 2014

Yeah, I look forward to being blamed by the scumbag when all these Slave Leias and Greedos don't sell.

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

I won't debate his merits in terms of products but some of his online antics were absolute PR misfires.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                            HULK SMASH!
                            • Apr 3, 2010

Quite a fan of the 6" SW Black Series. It's pretty much the only non 3.75" line I collect (apart from the occasional Marvel Legends or Select figure).
                            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• ovenmitt
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 26, 2009

What will Scott do with Hasbro Marvel Legends 6"? It was reported last week that Hasbro will have tie-in product to 2015 Marvel NEW Secret Wars 12-issues YEAR LONG series that will involve MULTIPLE versions of Avengers and also X-Men in YEARS of Future Past among other Marvel characters! Is this a BIG reason Hasbro would hire Scott?

How about Hasbro Marvel Retro Action 8" Mego figures at least charcaters DST/EMCE cannot make?!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎