Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmarva
    Talkative Member
    • Jul 7, 2007

To me the main issue, is the Batman costume being so easily snagged and other materials degrading and cracking in a relatively short amount of time.

To me those are quality issues that should not exist on a $200 plus figure. And if the figures are damaged, I'm not sure a collector can step out of his investment as easily.

And for toys in general, I think it is unwise to expect a profit or for them to appreciate in value. Some do, some don't and even when they do it tends to be generational.

Also, I think the reason why there is more passion behind the criticism of mego-like figures on this board than on 1/6th figures is simply because the focus on the this board is mego.
    Last edited by madmarva; Oct 13, '14, 1:18 PM.

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by madmarva
      And for toys in general, I think it is unwise to expect a profit or for them to appreciate in value. Some do, some don't and even when they do it tends to be generational.
      Ah, but therein lies the trap. When the classification finally reaches the stage of a "toy", we're all suppose to abandon the monetary investment and just embrace the kid inside. A fair enough statement... except when you're paying for it. Today's manufacturer and entrepreneurs don't want any of these products presented as 'toys'. They hide behind 'collectibles' which within itself denotes a monetary investment because it suggests "value". Otherwise they couldn't justify the prices. That's the problem you have on the Mego scale.

Hot Toys are not without their problems, and where quality is an issue, that is something I think they do try and address. But thus far, I have not suffered through any of those issues. I've had the rubber Rambo bodies for years with no breakage. Same for Rocky. But then again I have Big Jims from the 70's that have rubber arms completely intact. Evel Knievel bodies with no breakage. So whatever the breakdown period is, it may not happen in our lifetime. And like any product line, you do have production gaffs that cause early breakage. And then you also have consumer usage, the environment they stand in, and other outside forces that can factor into that lifespan.

I know the Hot Toys Amazing Spider-man figure had a major problem with a shoulder breaking with the slightest degree of elevation to the arm, so that was a big problem. I've read stories about the rubber bodies and suits ripping. I'm sympathetic to all of them too. But I've read many stories contrary to that as well. Ultimately it all counts. But I think there are some lessons along that journey both company and customer are taking. I don't think anyone set out to produce faulty merchandise at that price point. There's no upside for doing that. I think with Hot Toys, there has to be a fundamental understanding of what you're buying and to not test those limitations. Each figure has a different measure, so I think it's up to each consumer to do their homework and see if these products meet their needs.

Comment

• MegoSteve
        Superman's Pal
        • Jun 17, 2005

Originally posted by MIB41
        They're limited edition pieces of art that never fail to impress when people see them. So, for me, their pricing and sustained market value seem to go hand in hand.
        People said that about Flatt figures, too.

Comment

• MegoMoe
          • Feb 13, 2014

I agree with a lot of what is posted above. I do own Batman and Robin and I do think I'll buy Chewbacca (a figure I thought would never get made!)
          But after that I don't plan on getting any others. I just hope the mego trend continues, because they are affordable, fun, and not so fragile.

Comment

• warlock664
            Persistent Member
            • Feb 15, 2009

Great posts, Tom, I agree with just about everything you say!

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

I must confess how much I love my Hot Toys, but I'm terrified of touching them.

I have not bought myself a single one, but the half dozen plus that I have are all gifts from my wife and brothers. I'm actually terrified to take them out of the box and play with them because they are known to be so fragile. I would never have bought them for myself.

Every now and then, I do open up the box and stare at them and marvel at the quality and craftmanship that goes into creating such life-like figures. Can't seem to bring myself to liberate them from their cardboard and plastic coffins and at least display them in a glass case or something.
              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by samurainoir

I have not bought myself a single one, but the half dozen plus that I have are all gifts from my wife and brothers. I'm actually terrified to take them out of the box and play with them because they are known to be so fragile. I would never have bought them for myself.

Every now and then, I do open up the box and stare at them and marvel at the quality and craftmanship that goes into creating such life-like figures. Can't seem to bring myself to liberate them from their cardboard and plastic coffins and at least display them in a glass case or something.
                My first question is, of course: how do I get in touch with your family? They seem great people, and I'd like to get to know, preferably before Christmas...

As for leaving HTs in the box: you are really missing the best part of them: the way they look on display. The ones I have are all out, because they need to be assembled. Otherwise, they are just model kit parts in a box. Enjoy them for their beauty, and give them a nice little display case to live in.
                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• rykerw1701
                  Persistent Member
                  • Aug 27, 2007

Somehow I've ended up with 8 Hot Toys, with one Thor preparing to walk by the 'bay as soon as I get around to listing it.

There's room in my heart for both Hot Toys and Mego/ReMego. I display some of the Hot Toys like I do statues, only I move them sometimes to keep them looking fresh. Otherwise they're like wallpaper. I stop seeing them. But there's no "playing" with them, whatever that means. But that's also true of most prized Megos. I have plenty I don't care about breaking, and give them to my son. But he's not getting my boxed Green Arrow or my knights, for example. So they're treated the same as Hot Toys. Very fragile, moved a bit, but for display and adoration only.

On a side note, I have to disagree about the comments made here on the pricing of the new Mego inspired stuff. There's a very limited market for those, mostly people like us with a few kids thrown in. That means far fewer figures than say TMNT are produced, so the cost to make each figure is much higher, and the license fees per figure are higher. It's a completely different market than what existed for the 1970's. As expensive as some of them are, I don't think anyone is getting rich on them, especially given the effort involved in making them. So I buy the one's worth $25 or so to me, and love seeing the variety of those I don't buy.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                    Permanent Member
                    • Sep 15, 2014

The thread title made me laugh. I can picture someone putting a box of HT out at the road. Wipping their hands, done & done.

Comment

• mishu2nite
                      Persistent Member
                      • Nov 26, 2001

Originally posted by MegoSteve
                      People said that about Flatt figures, too.
                      You have know idea of the market, I just sold a figure that would equal almost 10 hot toys. Some figures sell for cheap at times, but many hold there value.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                        Invincible Ironing Man
                        • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
                        The thread title made me laugh. I can picture someone putting a box of HT out at the road. Wipping their hands, done & done.
                        A Hot Toys Captain America, tied to a tree in the forest.
                        Years later, he is spotted in the wild, living off the land, gone feral.
                        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎