X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

Just can't find my perfect Hulk!

I collect Marvel Select figures, but only the "Heavy Hitters", like Juggernaut and Abomination and Thing.

But I just can't find the perfect Hulk. Most of them have very odd-looking legs (with unnatural curves), and the sculpt I like most (Ultimate Hulk) is grey, while my Hulk needs to be green.
    The Unleashed Hulk looks ok, but I dislike the millions of popping veins.

When are they going to get this right?

hulk select.jpg

Hulk II.jpg
    Last edited by Gorn Captain; Aug 28, '14, 11:30 AM.
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

I think that big Marvel Select Hulk is hideous. The anatomy is weird, the headsculpt is terrible and too small. He has bloody teeth, and that horrible gloppy paint job.

For my money, this is the best Hulk figure ever made...he's just over 13" tall, and perfect, IMO

Supersize Hulk.jpg

Comment

• starsky
      veteran member
      • Aug 26, 2007

my favorite is the marvel legends 2 pack with valkyrie that was sold at toys r us a while back.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

My favorite Hulk is the Marvel Legends "1st Appearance" Hulk. He's very Kirbyesque.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

I'm in the same boat. Comes down to what kind you're looking for. Modern is dime-a-dozen, but the most accurate "smart hulk" was from the Toy Biz 90's line. It was an exact rendition of the Peter David/Pantheon era. Same with that Maestro. Silver Age has nothing as exact, which has been my custom project for some time.

Comment

• Toy Timelord
            Banned
            • Aug 4, 2014

Sculpt wise, the Face Off Hulk is my favorite, but he lacks size, and most importantly, fists.

Comment

• torgospizza
              Theocrat of Pan Tang
              • Aug 19, 2010

I think my favorite smaller Hulk is probably Marvel Legends Series One, but the ML Face-Off Hulk from the two pack with the Leader is very, very 1970s and looks great. Very Ernie Chan-ish, and I wish I had gotten him. For a bigger one, obviously the Hot Toys Avengers Hulk rocks, but for a much cheaper alternative with a surprisingly good sculpt, I've always been fond of the 13" rotocast ones ToyBiz released about ten years ago.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

Seems like Marvel Select aren't too fussy about how Hulk looks, as long as he sells.
                Sloppy is indeed the key word here, "who cares, as long as he's Hulk and people can (more or less) recognize him"...
                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• hedrap
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 10, 2009

Part of the issue is until the 70's, Hulk had zero consistency. Kirby, Ditko, Severin all had drastically different takes from each other where every other major Marvel/DC character had an easy uniformity to follow.

Comment

• Toy Timelord
                    Banned
                    • Aug 4, 2014

I love the sculpting of Hulk's musculature on the Face Off version. He's very lean as opposed to shredded. The muscles feel more realistic, at the expense of bulk. The sculptor had a much stronger grasp of real anatomy than many of Toy Biz's artists.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎