Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Hasbro Star Wars Should Call it Quits!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jds1911a1
    Alan Scott is the best GL
    • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by grayhank
    Yes but how much Episode III stuff are you seeing in your stores...The figures you are talking about are NOT mass produced movie tie-in figures (And before somebody reads more into that, yes I know they come from a movie, do I truly have to explain the difference?)

Anyway, could have sworn I said that "mass produced movie tie-in figures" ("movie product overload" is the term I actually used) along the lines of those released in conjunction with Episode II and III were packed up because of the vast quantities left behind from Episode I, which retailers could not dispose of and Hasbro had to come up with an arrangement for those same retailers to carry their product AGAIN (insert aforementioned article here). At least I thought that's what I said. Anyway...not sure why that is quite so hard to believe.

Either I'm lying about talking to the Hasbro Reps who I stayed and chatted with for a good 15-20 minutes while I watched them box up leftover product from E3 OR they in fact were lying to me as to why they were there packing up leftover SW figures from Episode III OR the Reps you read about doing the Q&A were lying. Find one that works for you.

I for one am getting tired of every line I say be subject to constant scrutiny and taken out of context from what was intended or actually said on my part. So maybe it's best to just let it rest and suffer silently in my own frustrations.
    ROTS overstucks - As of today 2 years later nothing. but even in later summer 06 TRU's by me still had pegs of ask ask, mon mothmas and bail organas. none of those have shown as battle packs yet. The stores put em on clearencce and then they were gone a couple months later. and that was long after all the movie promo fixtures were carted away back to hasbro.

to your original rant then - if they were packing up movie leftovers (whether from ep 1 2 or 3) how can you possibly intimate a stormtrooper in the battle pack is reuse of returned unsold product? If you consider the logistics to return the figures to china, uncard them and repackage them it would reduce the profit margin of the battle pack. If they were selling generic packaging figures (like Kenner did in 85) then I would agree they could be factory overrun figures but since these packs are distinct sets produced for mass market it doesn't fit that they are returns

Comment

• huedell
      Museum Ball Eater
      • Dec 31, 2003

To me, altho' a bit more "pro-active", reusing molds is just as legit as repackaging
      overstock.
      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• grayhank
        That Fisher Price Guy
        • Feb 9, 2007

Originally posted by jds1911a1
        to your original rant then - if they were packing up movie leftovers (whether from ep 1 2 or 3) how can you possibly intimate a stormtrooper in the battle pack is reuse of returned unsold product?
        That's a fair response! I can only surmise that perhaps Hasbro still had plenty of cases of leftover stock in their own distribution centers (from various lines) which never made their way into retail inventories. "Hello Walmart, we've still got 13,000 cases of AOTC/Saga product etc...do you need anymore? "Nope we're good"!

What would you do with all the leftovers? But whether they are using unsold product or going back and making new production runs from existing molds is all pretty much irrelevant. The fact remains that in those Battle Packs, they are still reissues or repaints of figures that have already been released. So I'm not sure why we are even debating the logistics of it all.

BTW - I have gone through all of the Hasbro Q&A archives and I have yet to see the question to or answer by Hasbro stating that the figures in those Battle Packs are NOT repacks but newly produced figures from existing molds as you had indicated you had seen. Please provide the link if you have it.
        Last edited by grayhank; Mar 13, '08, 11:15 AM.
        Scott D Thompson | Facebook

Comment

• grayhank
          That Fisher Price Guy
          • Feb 9, 2007

Originally posted by jds1911a1
          ROTS overstucks - As of today 2 years later nothing. but even in later summer 06 TRU's by me still had pegs of ask ask, mon mothmas and bail organas. none of those have shown as battle packs yet. The stores put em on clearencce and then they were gone a couple months later. and that was long after all the movie promo fixtures were carted away back to hasbro.
          My only reasonable explanation for that is those figures came out towards the tail end of the Episode III run after the movie hype had died down considerably. Like I already said, new product won't get put out until old product is gone. When you've got an overabundance of initial waves still on the pegs, stores won't order newer case assortments. Enter the Hasbro reps to clear out and make room for the newer cases to prevent backup in their own warehouses. You've also got to remember that ROTS came out in May 2005, by Summer of 06 (over a year later) the movie hype was over.

I don't claim to know all the answers. I don't know what the actual agreement was between Hasbro and Retailers and to what percentage they would take back. I do know that Hasbro came up with the solution to try and prevent the same situation that occurred with Episode I merchandise. It was a concern by the retailers and that was how Hasbro addressed it.
          Last edited by grayhank; Mar 13, '08, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• MarkStalcup
            Chases Ambulances,Customs
            • Feb 6, 2008

I think the problem isn't all the figures...everybody can use extra Stormtroopers, and wookies are good, too...it's yet another Darth Vader, and yet another Jedi fighter which doesn't even fit the figure. They have released so many Darths lately that I think if I ever do buy another battle pack with him in it, I'm customizing him into that gaudy, awful pink and light green Hello Kitty Darth that people post pics on the Internet of, and auctioning him on EBay.
            “As human beings we all want to be happy and free from misery… we have learned that the key to happiness is inner peace. The greatest obstacles to inner peace are disturbing emotions such as anger, attachment, fear and suspicion, while love and compassion and a sense of universal responsibility are the sources of peace and happiness.” - The Dalai Lama

Comment

• grayhank
              That Fisher Price Guy
              • Feb 9, 2007

Yeah and isn't there an all gold Vader coming out this year too. I'm holding my breath for Hasbro to make one with purple polka dots. Or one that has a removable helmet and shows his smiley face like when Luke removes his helmet and he says "you were right about me, my son" and then he croaks and goes off to Jedi oblivian and is replaced by a younger incarnation of himself which makes no sense but by the time that has happened Lucas will have remade the movie for the 100th time and you will actually see that Jar Jar Binks was actually Darth Vader and Luke's father because Padme actually jumped his bones when she pulled him aside in Episode I.

Ok maybe I carried that a little too far But then again, it's only a matter of time before that "expanded universe" story is told. Hasbro's got the license for many many years to come.
              Last edited by grayhank; Mar 13, '08, 2:14 PM.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

It's all good as long as we don't get a "Ghost of Jar Jar" like the one shown on the Robot Chicken Star Wars Special.

Comment

• jds1911a1
                  • Aug 8, 2007

That's a fair response! I can only surmise that perhaps Hasbro still had plenty of cases of leftover stock in their own distribution centers (from various lines) which never made their way into retail inventories. "Hello Walmart, we've still got 13,000 cases of AOTC/Saga product etc...do you need anymore? "Nope we're good"!

What would you do with all the leftovers? But whether they are using unsold product or going back and making new production runs from existing molds is all pretty much irrelevant. The fact remains that in those Battle Packs, they are still reissues or repaints of figures that have already been released. So I'm not sure why we are even debating the logistics of it all.

BTW - I have gone through all of the Hasbro Q&A archives and I have yet to see the question to or answer by Hasbro stating that the figures in those Battle Packs are NOT repacks but newly produced figures from existing molds as you had indicated you had seen. Please provide the link if you have it.
                  I was wrong it was actually a question mark from 2005 (UGHH it took forever to find). I stand partially corrected my memory crossed the separation of the twins repacks with the battle packs
                  Rebelscum.com: Question Mark #196

Comment

• Seeker
                    Neptunians RULE!
                    • Feb 20, 2008

God end this already. So what if they reuse old stock? I'd rather see a recycled battle pack the read about another line that didn't sell and got ground up or tossed.

I remember Tomarts and Lees running a few stories about old toy lines, much sought after now, simply scrapped because sales were down at the time.

.....And yeah you can always use more Stormtroopers
                    Lo there do I see my Father.
                    Lo there do I see my Mother and my Sisters and my Brothers.
                    Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the begining.
                    Lo they do call me.
                    They bid me take my place among them.
                    In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.

Comment

• grayhank
                      That Fisher Price Guy
                      • Feb 9, 2007

Yeah I understand, memory can be a tricky thing especially after 13 years of history in this "modern - POTF2 to Present" Star Wars age. But as I was going through various press releases and articles I stumbled upon a comment that I just had to share. But before I post it, I have to set it up.

Exploit - to take selfish or unfair advantage of a person or situation, usually for personal gain.

The comment:

Hasbro negotiated the 10-year license extension in 2003. "We have an extra ten years to exploit this property," said Hargreaves. "The Star Wars property is a high gross margin area. It generally requires less advertising because it’s the movie that drives interest in the merchandise." David Hargreaves – Hasbro Chief Financial Officer

At least Hasbro calls it like it is!

Comment

• grayhank
                        That Fisher Price Guy
                        • Feb 9, 2007

Originally posted by Seeker
                        God end this already. So what if they reuse old stock? I'd rather see a recycled battle pack the read about another line that didn't sell and got ground up or tossed.

Why is there always a person who wants a conversation to end? Just don't read the thread if you don't wanna read about what we are discussing. Isn't the point of a forum to discuss topics of interest? If there was no interest I'd still be here talking to myself.

Comment

• jds1911a1
                          • Aug 8, 2007

Yeah I understand, memory can be a tricky thing especially after 13 years of history in this "modern - POTF2 to Present" Star Wars age. But as I was going through various press releases and articles I stumbled upon a comment that I just had to share. But before I post it, I have to set it up.

Exploit - to take selfish or unfair advantage of a person or situation, usually for personal gain.

The comment:

Hasbro negotiated the 10-year license extension in 2003. "We have an extra ten years to exploit this property," said Hargreaves. "The Star Wars property is a high gross margin area. It generally requires less advertising because it’s the movie that drives interest in the merchandise." David Hargreaves – Hasbro Chief Financial Officer

At least Hasbro calls it like it is!
                          I think you and I got stuck in semantics that in a face to face discussion wouldn't have gone as long
                          "you say repacked and I say reused mold the end is the same. I stopped collecting packsge variations/ accessory variation etc a long time ago. There have been so many rescupts I pretty much bag those too now unless it's a trooper I can use to diaorama since all my toys escape their prisons so my kids and i can play

Comment

• misterdroid
                            Banned
                            • Jan 10, 2008

Here is the thing. I am enjoying this lively debate... It has made me laugh out loud a couple times, BUT is the Mego Museum the place to rant endlessly about reusing molds? Lets put it in context. Mego reused as much material as humanly possible! And sure, while the same standards which applied to toy manufacture in the past don't really apply now, lets look at it rationally... maybe as a collector you despise reused molds. Great, point made/taken. My kid who is 10 happens to love the Battle packs. The are full of play value, have sets of good guys/ bad guys and often contain figs he couldn't get at retail because they all waddled out the store door to nestle in new homes in comic shops and ebay listings long before we got there. He's bought several of the new 2-pack with the reused Republic commando solely because the figure is white, he can customize them. If you don't like it, vote with your dollar, and lets all get along already, ok?

Comment

• grayhank
                              That Fisher Price Guy
                              • Feb 9, 2007

Originally posted by misterdroid
                              They are full of play value, have sets of good guys/ bad guys and often contain figs he couldn't get at retail because they all waddled out the store door to nestle in new homes in comic shops and ebay listings long before we got there.
                              I am biting my tongue so hard in an attempt not to say anything that blood is actually pouring out my mouth. But I have to ask, I don't wanna ask, but I feel strongly compelled to ask and I'm gonna hate myself for doing so:

What figure in any of those Battle Packs (that aren't exclusive to the Battle Pack itself) could you not find at retail?

Comment

• huedell
                                Museum Ball Eater
                                • Dec 31, 2003

Just a little comment on the term "exploit"

Unless you're giving stuff away for free---you better HOPE you can
                                "exploit" consumers---if not, you ain't gonna be able to pay the rent....

"Having something that people want"

That's business.

It calls to mind that line from the CHARLIE BROWN XMAS sequel where he points out that
                                he can't be exploiting XMAS by selling XMAS wreaths door-to-door if it happens that
                                no one is buying them!
                                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎