Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody collect the Gentle Giant jumbo Kenner Star Wars figures?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Anybody collect the Gentle Giant jumbo Kenner Star Wars figures?

Anybody collect these? What's the quality on them like? Are they fragile or known to break easy?
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • chunky B
    Museum Eclectic Collector
    • Apr 9, 2009

I collect them, well some of them, I have the first 12 and a few of the Convention Exclusives. Overall I love the line, but I think the price is a bit much. I opened the first 12 and a Blue Snaggletooth. There are some that are really nice and others not so much. As far as quality, there are some issue as far as scale not being precise compared to each other, some being larger or smaller than say the original vintage figures were compared to each other. Chewbacca (at least mine) seems to have a shorter leg than the other and leans really bad. I had sent him back an received another one with the same issue, so I believe it may be a thing with him.

I haven't broken any, but I did have the Sandperson take a fall off the shelf, about 4 feet, and hit a wood floor, no damage to speak of, but he does sound like there is a loose piece inside, I am guessing something left over from the molding process. They are not solid, they are hollow, with the exception of C3-PO. I believe he is solid and probably the most fragile of the bunch. I haven't had any problems with him, but I have seen online in the Rebel Scum forums that he will break.

I think I may pick up a couple more, just my favorites form here on. I think some that are really nice form this first batch are Han Solo, Princess Leia, Luke Skywalker, and Blue Snaggletooth.

Hope this helps.

I had posted this image in another area of this forum.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by chunky B; Nov 12, '12, 4:44 PM.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Thank you for the help. They look really sharp on display. Great pic! I just ordered a Princess Leia. She was the first SW figure I had as a child. So, I thought if I can only get one, she'd be the one to have.
      Last edited by Werewolf; Nov 12, '12, 6:18 PM.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• torgospizza
        Theocrat of Pan Tang
        • Aug 19, 2010

Originally posted by Werewolf
        Thank you for the help. They look really sharp on display. Great pic! I just ordered a Princess Leia. She was the first SW figure I had as a child. So, I thought if I can only get one, she'd be the one to have.
        That's how I am about the Luke figure. I'd love to have one, but missed out when they were new and can't bring myself to spend $300-350 on one now. I'm not sure I'd spend that much on a Hot Toys DX version. I have the large-size Kenner version in great shape and complete (although loose), so I think I'm going to have to live with that one.

Comment

• BlackKnight
          The DarkSide Customizer
          • Apr 16, 2005

I don't have any ...
          But Have debated on Han&Chewie, or 3P0&R2
          ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by torgospizza
            I'd love to have one, but missed out when they were new and can't bring myself to spend $300-350 on one now.
            Same here. When they first came out I was, admittedly, put off by the price and the low production runs. I liked them, but I didn't know if I $75 a piece like'd them. The nostalgia factor on these is too strong though and the Leia figure has been calling to me, lol. I still wish Hasbro had done this. Then they wouldn't have been so limited and also fraction of the cost.
            Last edited by Werewolf; Nov 12, '12, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• SeattleEd
              SynthoRes Transmigrator
              • Oct 24, 2007

Really great line.

I was planning on getting them all but decided to focus on a few.
              The Blue Snaggletooth is my favorite followed by the vinyl cape Jawa and looking forward to the Rocket Fett and Cantina. I hope they make ALL the bounty hunters.
              I wish I got the small head Han. That was my favorite version as a kid.
              I plan on tracking down a Leia to feature in a video.

The quality is great along with the killer packaging.

Comment

• chunky B
                • Apr 9, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
                I think you will like the Princess Leia, She is probably in my top five, I wish I had gone after a small head Han Solo, but they were already starting to go up in price, I think the Large Head Han looks really cool though. Gentle Giant seemed to do better on the Human Characters so far.

Comment

• chunky B
                  • Apr 9, 2009

Originally posted by torgospizza
                  That's how I am about the Luke figure. I'd love to have one, but missed out when they were new and can't bring myself to spend $300-350 on one now. I'm not sure I'd spend that much on a Hot Toys DX version. I have the large-size Kenner version in great shape and complete (although loose), so I think I'm going to have to live with that one.
                  I had to go look I cannot believe that Luke is going for that much, that is crazy.

Comment

• Sethmeisteroni
                    • Feb 26, 2011

Last year I bought blue snags after sdcc because I had a $30 coupon. I love these guys, but I also feel like the roto casts make me nervous that the joints arent gonna pop off. I put snag's pistol in and paint kinda scratched in his hand. I wanna get the bounty hunters but it hard to justify the price, espaecially to the misses.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                      SynthoRes Transmigrator
                      • Oct 24, 2007

I have Bossk and IG-88 on pre-order. I need to figure out how to get the Rocket Fett First Shot Prototype without joining the club.
                      I plan on keeping all these in the package and hanging up on my garage wall with the exception of the Rocket Fett. Gotta keep that one open.

Comment

• Random Axe
                        The Voice of Reason
                        • Apr 16, 2008

I can't buy these, they freak me out. I feel like I'm shrinking every time I pick one up.
                        I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• starsky
                          veteran member
                          • Aug 26, 2007

i dont have any but am in awe at these! i just don't have the space or finances for these bad boys! really coming to the realization that i can't collect everything.

Comment

• dee T.
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 25, 2012

Entertainment Earth has a rocket-firing Boba Fett for sale on their web site. $85 I think. I like them, but financially can't really afford them. I would like to pick up R2-D2 if he was a good deal somewhere.
                            Clothes make the doll

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                              Invincible Ironing Man
                              • Feb 28, 2008

Every time I see one, I say "yeah, need to pick one up", but don't. There's always something higher up my want list.
                              I really like the Cantina Aliens, Greedo being number one.
                              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎