Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playmates acquires Trek movie toy license!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jds1911a1
    Alan Scott is the best GL
    • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by MegoSteve
    I cannot imagine that scalpers would go for this. Dealers could barely get pennies on the dollar for the original Playmates figures last time I checked. Do they even sell on eBay?
    Short term scalpers will probalby make a profit. long term investors I doubt it based on prior playmates St line.

Comment

• Captain
      Fighting the good fight!
      • Jun 17, 2001

I've heard varying reports,most mentioning 4" 6" and 9" lines. We've seen the 9"from PM before so I believe that ones a no brainer. I'm betting the 4" and 6" reports are really the same figure--the 5" figure line. Some people that have seen these have said they re-used old figures for prototypes (including a sarek for Spock) to show in the UK and at the Canadian Toy Fair. There are also reports of Bridge and Transporter playsets. The Bridge set had a 4"(5") Kirk sitting in it. I've heard the movie Bridge has little in common with the original series one (and some photos seem to confirm that...although its really hard to be certain) so I doubt it can be used for your classic Trek figures.

I would rather Diamond/Art Asylum do more classic bridge stations. There stuff fits Megos to a T.
      "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
        valar morghulis
        • Mar 8, 2005

It'll certainly be interesting to see the pics from the US Toy Fair in a few weeks. Not sure how close they'll be to finished product tho. Playmates seems to have had very little time to put together a presentation for the shows.

Comment

• Captain
          Fighting the good fight!
          • Jun 17, 2001

This thread over at TrekBBS covers this subject quite well, and if its all true, may prove this movie isnt going to be all bad.

The Trek BBS: trek movie prototypes

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

All I know is...if the Figures aren't 8" in height....I won't be buying Them. Unless of course some one enlarges(or Shrinks)Them to Mego size
            sigpic

Comment

• Captain
              Fighting the good fight!
              • Jun 17, 2001

The mention of 7" figures in costumes is interesting. I'm assuming they are a little off in their measurements and these are the old 9" figures.....but it would be great if they were EMCE figures.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

Hope they revise the 9 inch body, the old ones SUCKED.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                  valar morghulis
                  • Mar 8, 2005

I'm taking that "report" from the UK Toy Fair with a very large grain o' salt. We'll see actual pictures of stuff in just a couple weeks from the US Toy Fair.. I'll wait til then.

Comment

• Captain
                    Fighting the good fight!
                    • Jun 17, 2001

Paramount and Playmates have banned pictures of the Trek stuff...so unless somebody sneaks out a picture somehow, I dont think we will see pics at toy fair.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                      valar morghulis
                      • Mar 8, 2005

There were no pics allowed at the UK Toy fair, but the US Toy Fair will coincide with an "official" announcement of the new license, and I'm pretty confident we'll see some pics then. The US Toy Fair is both an industry and media event, after all. Kinda hard to enforce a total picture blackout, even if they wanted to.

Comment

• hobub
                        Ghost of a Dead Indian
                        • Jun 18, 2001

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                        Hope they revise the 9 inch body, the old ones SUCKED.
                        You may think that. But I must differ. I have three sons, two of which were and are action figure fanatics. One is now 17 and over the craze and the youngest 3 loves the things (probably partly because Mark Huckabone gave him a boxed Action Jackson at Megomeet when he was 1 yr old). The oldest had literally destroyed the famous covers and hasbro figures (ask Starbuk, he landed a bag of parts). It wasnt until the recent repops emerged that I have decided to let my younger one play with actual mego's like kirk, superman and grandpa walton (his fav); cvtt's; and even Doc Mego's.

But he is destroying the mego's and knockoffs in this order: cvtt's, didn't last more than a couple months with arms coming off, broken joints and broken feet. Megos, although I try to keep these in constant repair because of their original value to me, hinges and joints are breaking (but of course they're 30 yrs old) and they always end up naked! Now Doc Mego's figures (with his bodies) it took several months of hard play but my son has managed to rip the arm off a couple, causing them to be unrepairable because the part that attaches to the hook ripped clean through.

But for the most part, I must testify that those "sucky" Playmates bodies have endured the test of time and abuse. Kirk, Picard and Data are much uglier now than when I bought them in the mid 90's but they are still in one piece.

As far as kids go, and new toys are for kids, I wouldn't say they suck. They are very durable.
                        Last edited by hobub; Feb 8, '08, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎