X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spacecaps
    Second Mouse
    • Aug 24, 2011

Star Wars Gentle Giant 12"

Anyone collect the Kenner Vintage Style 12" Star Wars figures? I see they're starting to do the 21 backs now with Greedo, Walrusman, Hammerhead, and R5D4. At about $80 per figure, I've been kept away but now that they they started doing the aliens from the line I really want to get them.
    "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."
  • Toyman_Chris
    70's Era Pimp
    • Sep 7, 2011

I have been picking up a few to resell at my shop. They are darn cool when ya see em up close.

Comment

• spacecaps
      Second Mouse
      • Aug 24, 2011

I'd really like to find them loose but I've only seen a few of the main characters up close and they're always carded.
      "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• rche
        channeling Bob Wills
        • Mar 26, 2008

I bought the Boba Fett one when it came out with the intent of modifying it to be a giant rocket firing Fett. Havn't done it yet, tho.

But.... these are huge. The cards are huge. The real estate and monies you give out for them are huge.

They are a novel idea, but I can safely say I would never try to get a collection of them going. I can see focus collectors picking up the GG version of their focus piece. Or perhaps getting one of your favorites to stick next to your SW items. But, these are really almost like Shoguns or large vehicle/playset sorts of things in that you would want some fantastic display to show them off properly.

That, and for $80 you can pick up quite a few nice loose examples of Kenner originals or maybe even a carded item from ESB or Jedi. I'd rather put my monies in the vintage toys, really.

It would be fun to see a wall of these things. Just not at my house.

Comment

• spacecaps
          Second Mouse
          • Aug 24, 2011

Originally posted by rche
          But.... these are huge. The cards are huge. The real estate and monies you give out for them are huge.....Or perhaps getting one of your favorites to stick next to your SW items.
          Thats the thing with these. I have no interest in the ones Kenner did back in '78 since I'd rather have the vintage ones and no interest in almost any of the human characters. (For some reason I do like the Death Star Commander though) The Cantina Aliens and Droids are where it's at for me. But when they're carded, they look ginormous which is why I think loose on a shelf would display nicely. For $80, I don't think I could bring myself to rip them open though which is why I keep looking on ebay for loose ones but they never show up.

These are the kinds of toys that in ten years or so the value on the secondary market will probably be through the roof too. And if they continue with the Empire line, things will get crazy. I'm also betting the next exclusive they do will be a 12" Blue Snaggletooth.....

Comment

• rche
            channeling Bob Wills
            • Mar 26, 2008

They are on resealable clams. You don't have to worry about tearing cards up.

Not sure what you mean by
            I have no interest in the ones Kenner did back in '78 since I'd rather have the vintage ones
            1978-9 Kenner are the vintage figures. ??? (actually 78-85)

I would have to respectfully disagree with the speculation that these will hold any value. Certain key characters might if the production run is low, but I don't really see a 12" clone of the DS Commander running up the investment meter.

Comment

• spacecaps
              Second Mouse
              • Aug 24, 2011

They are on resealable clams. You don't have to worry about tearing cards up.

Not sure what you mean by 1978-9 Kenner are the vintage figures. ??? (actually 78-85)

I would have to respectfully disagree with the speculation that these will hold any value. Certain key characters might if the production run is low, but I don't really see a 12" clone of the DS Commander running up the investment meter.
              To clarify my statement, if Kenner made a 12" figure back when ANH came out those would be the ones I would want. In other words, I have no interest in the Gentle Giant Vader since Kenner made one in the 70's. The 12" line was discontinued after Ig-88 and Boba Fett (two vintage 12" I already have) in 1980 which is why I said I'd rather have the ones made in '78. In retrospect it's too bad they didn't continue the line further into Empire but the demand for larger action figures was already in decline by then.

As for the value, I wouldn't expect these to drop any lower than where they're at now. That would be a total bummer to anyone the invested $80 on the initial purchase ( a total plus for anyone that waited) but it's not like they're going to be on any clearance isles in Toys R Us one day since it's a very internet specific item. But yes like with all toy runs some figures will be in more demand than others depending on production run and popularity of the figure. That's why I'm hoping to just get the ones I think are cool. With that said, I noticed a loose Tusken Raider popped up on ebay tonight for $40 + $7 shipping so maybe that'll be my first one.....

Comment

• Byrnes
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 19, 2011

I can see focus collectors picking up the GG version of their focus piece.
                This, I'm waiting for Bossk. I do love them, but at the price and size I'm only picking up one figure.
                WWW.OG13.com - GI Joe, Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Star Trek, toys and more

Comment

• Chris
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 23, 2009

These figures are HUGE!!!! I own the Stormtrooper. Like you guys wrote it takes up too much room. They are really cool and I'd love to have them.
                  If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

I'm going to buy one or two. I'm setting my hopes on Greedo and maybe the Tusken Raider (which is out already). It's a nice attention grabber for the collection, and my toyroom can handle it as far as space is concerned (for now)...

The humans don't really interest me, because I don't feel they work well in this size.
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

I saw a few for as low as $40 at a recent toy show, and was sorely tempted, but I just don't have the space to display or store them.
                      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                        Invincible Ironing Man
                        • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by samurainoir
                        I saw a few for as low as $40 at a recent toy show, and was sorely tempted, but I just don't have the space to display or store them.
                        Wow! In toy shows here, you are lucky to get them at $90. That's it, I'm moving to the US. Anybody have a room I can rent? (PS: I'll need room for my GG Star Wars figures, of course...)
                        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• msenger76
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 3, 2009

I saw some as low as $50 at wizard world in chicago last summer. i really want the r5-d4, but i'm pretty sure my wife is gonna veto that purchase

Comment

• mizzoujedi
                            • Mar 18, 2010

I have all of them so far. They're pretty cool. It's really nice to get on a forum where no one is b**ching about how they're not absolutely perfect. The price on these are slowly increasing. The 3PO and R2 are looking nicely vac metallized. I think I am going to stop after the first 12 (plus Boba).

Comment

• Delusional B
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Nov 14, 2007

I've been picking these up, too. I have about 5 of them and am contemplating finishing the "Original 12." I kind of see them as art pieces, sort of. I've been keeping them on the card and hanging them around the studio/toyroom where I don't have shelves. So, they really don't take up much space, at all, since they have sort of become "part of the walls."

My wife was asking me why I need these since I've already got the vintage 3 3 /4 versions. I told her that these Star Wars figures are for the future and in my old age. If my eyesight goes, I'll have these giant figures to enjoy and still be able to see... like a large-print book.
                              Yesterville Toy Room

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎