Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if Hasbro released Marvel heroes like Megos?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

What if Hasbro released Marvel heroes like Megos?

I'm curious. If Hasbro released new Marvel characters in the 9 inch scale, but fixed it so outfits could be removed (like Megos), would you buy them? I know some here had issues with the original 9 inch line because they did not wear outfits that could be removed. This would likely mean new bodies for them as well. So if the only difference were nine inches instead of eight, would you buy them?
  • thoriron
    Career Member
    • Apr 22, 2004

for me isn't a problem if the outfits could be removed or not but i would like to see new marvel figures and not another cap. america or spiderman or similar...If hasbro make nick fury,iron fist,eternals,nova korps....i buy immediatly!!!!!

Comment

• david_b
      Never had enough toys..
      • May 9, 2008

I'd be buying them up.. I'm collecting Megos for displaying in boxes and cards, but it's my limited amount of Famous Covers which I display loose on the shelf. They'd go nice with them.
      Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• livnxxxl
        Megoholic RocketScientist
        • Oct 23, 2007

I would actually have to see them first before I could make a decision to purchase. After all seeing is believing. If they were nicely done and nicely packaged and reasonably priced with removeable clothing I would more than likely buy into them.

However, I really like to stay in the 8" format since most all of my vehicles and playsets are in that scale.

If they would go as far as to make them in 9" why not just make them in 8" scale instead? I believe that they would sell so much better. Would that really be too much to ask?

I never could quite understand why figures are made in 3.75", 9", 12" and even bigger yet formats other than 8". For some reason the 8" line keeps being over looked and not even made or thought of in most cases. I don't get it??
        Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

Hasbro's 9" bodies were originally developed for the dc figures as a response to the famous covers? Is that correct?

Interesting that Hasbro has put out 8" figures of movie cap and Thor recently, but unfortunately there really isn't much appeal in terms of articulation or even the sculpts compared to the smaller version figures they did in 3 3/4"
          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Ohh, the outfits can be removed. Just need a exacto knife. I honestly don't see the appeal or removable clothing, unless you like to play dress up or customize. Its more critical of a feature for Barbie, GI Joe, Captain Action or Action Jackson.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Brown Bear
              Still Old School
              • Feb 14, 2008

I'd only buy them if they were made in such a way that they'd fit in with my mego collection. If they were too modern or deviated too far from 70's figs, I'd pass.
              Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by samurainoir
                Hasbro's 9" bodies were originally developed for the dc figures as a response to the famous covers? Is that correct?

Interesting that Hasbro has put out 8" figures of movie cap and Thor recently, but unfortunately there really isn't much appeal in terms of articulation or even the sculpts compared to the smaller version figures they did in 3 3/4"
                Without knowing directly, I would say that is a safe assessment. Famous Covers released 36 figures (37 if you count Aunt May...ew...don't get me started). If you count the X-men movie figures, the number would be 43 figures (and 46 if you count the X-men Mutant Outcast figures). I'm confident Hasbro wanted to mimic that success with their own line when they got the DC license and later with Marvel's. Of course the Signature Series was sold at Targets and TRU. Target bailed relatively fast, leaving them to warm pegs on TRU boards for years. Because of that, I don't know if Hasbro will push this format again. But if they did, I hope they would lean more on the Mego influences.
                Last edited by MIB41; Jul 19, '11, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Probably not.

It frustrated me that they (Hasbro, Playmates and Toybiz) insisted on making them out of scale with the classic Mego superhero and trek lines. It made no sense, to me, especially when Toybiz heavily promoted Famous Covers, at first, as Megos reborn and then they ended up totally out of scale.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• pmwasson
                    Maker
                    • Sep 12, 2007

I would! Of course I'm a Famous Cover fan. (Don't hate me.)
                    sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by pmwasson
                      I would! Of course I'm a Famous Cover fan. (Don't hate me.)
                      Never! I think Toybiz, Hasbro, and Mattel have all made important contributions to the DC and/or Marvel licenses. And I collected them all.
                      Last edited by MIB41; Jul 19, '11, 1:35 PM.

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

I quite liked the Origins figures, and was really sorry that they didn't do better. Had they or the DC Hasbro been in 8" size, I would have been absolutely delighted with them.

I do have to say, Famous Covers and the Hasbro figures did get me back into Megos. The facial expressions and some of the proportions don't quite hold up now, but for me at the time, that was Mego reborn. I think many others felt the same at the time when the good Doc Mego had yet to appear out of the wilderness like Moses, bearing his shiny repro body and goods.
                        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by samurainoir
                          I quite liked the Origins figures, and was really sorry that they didn't do better. Had they or the DC Hasbro been in 8" size, I would have been absolutely delighted with them.

I do have to say, Famous Covers and the Hasbro figures did get me back into Megos. The facial expressions and some of the proportions don't quite hold up now, but for me at the time, that was Mego reborn. I think many others felt the same at the time when the good Doc Mego had yet to appear out of the wilderness like Moses, bearing his shiny repro body and goods.
                          Agree wholeheartedly. I was at a loss for why the Origins didn't do better. I really didn't care about an inch difference. And since when doesn't that make it a Mego figure? Mego's had the Titans at 6 inches, WGSH at 8, some figures at 9.5 inches (Dr. Who, Robin), then came the 12 inch figures. The Origin figures worked nicely and were made well. So to say they were not in the 'proper scale' was really exaggerating the facts. I've never been so married to just one line that I could never expand outside that format if the spirit was still there. If anything, I think that makes collections that much more interesting to look at.

And Famous Covers, for all of it's proportion issues and never ending open-mouth expressions, got the ball rolling, bringing the Mego universe back from extinction. So they will always have a special place in my thoughts. And there are many figures within that series which I really like too. So it's not like it was a bad series. I just think of how much better it would have been had they gotten their quality control in order sooner. You can almost say that with any new line that comes out. But still a fun series nonetheless.
                          Last edited by MIB41; Jul 19, '11, 1:45 PM.

Comment

• thoriron
                            Career Member
                            • Apr 22, 2004

i have to buy all famous covers and 12" marvel collector ed.and hasbro signature....but I think that hasbro has copied the famous covers and did not have to do even the same characters, but new characters at once

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                              OH JES!!
                              • Jul 21, 2005

If they make em I'll buy them. I bought the toy biz Marvel figures and Have them displayed. Bought the Hasbro DC line and the Marvel line when it was out....I like 9 figures
                              Big Jim was a 9 action figure.....

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎