Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoSteve
    Superman's Pal
    • Jun 17, 2005

It looks like a scaled-down department store mannequin from 1979. Last time I saw hair like that on a man, it was in an ad for "the wet look."

Comment

• jemboy2004
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 14, 2005

fashion dolls and super heros have crossed paths a few times. Some with success and some not.

Ideal used glamour misty to do the Super Queens and Mego Did the Wonder Woman Lynda Carter dolls in the fashion doll type of toy. Even though some will say it was marketed as a action figure.

Barbie has done super hero themes serveral times. Some of famous characters Like the Wonder Woman collector doll in 99 & Catwoman in 04 and the many DC stars in recent years by mattel or the Guardian Goddess dolls done in 79 by mattel, which were she-ra type of suepr hero dolls, Not to mention a few other fashion doll hero types too.

Tonner also did hero's about 10 years ago, the porcerlain collector dolls about 10 years ago too.

Tonner continues to do them so My guess is they are selling or they would end them.

Long story short. Fashion doll collectors lover superheros! I've collected many fashion dolls over the years and know alot of others who do too and most love fashion dolls as superhero's so I think that is who's buying the tonner dolls.

Comment

• K
        Fun Will Now Commence
        • Jun 20, 2001

The Tonner company makes a very "pretty" Aquaman, too. LOL!

VERY pricey stuff!
        I LOVE CHEESECAKE!!!sigpic

"...and the Geeks shall inherit the earth."

Comment

• starsky
          veteran member
          • Aug 26, 2007

yeah, i'm pretty sure there's a specific audience they are targeting not just your typical "action figure collector."

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by jemboy2004
            fashion dolls and super heros have crossed paths a few times. Some with success and some not.
            The differences between those and the Tonner dolls is they were all aimed at children. The Mego WW and Mattel Barbie heroes are also a lot nicer looking and a heck of a lot cheaper as well. The prices on those were also all low enough super hero collectors could pick them up just for the novelty of it.

I mean, I like fashion dolls as much as the next collector (maybe more), but those Tonner heroes are just ridiculous looking. Heck the Tonner Batman makes Mattel's Superman Returns Ken/Sups look good by comparison.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

I really like the Barbie Superheroines line and wish they'd do more but these are just a slight bit too pretty for my tastes.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

I really like the Barbie Superheroines line and wish they'd do more but these are just a slight bit too pretty for my tastes.
                According to my wife, Toy Fair should reveal new Barbie WW, Batgirl and Black Canary. This according to reliable Barbie websites.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

The girl figures are nice (albeit really expensive), but the guys look too feminine. And that Joker is a NIGHTMARE.
                  "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                  'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                  Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                  If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• jemboy2004
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 14, 2005

see werewolf I Love the ken as Superman Returns "fashion Doll"

I agree that most of the fashion dolls as heros were aimed at childern but Tonner is aiming at fashion doll collectors and They must be selling them as they continue to do them. I got the L.E. spiderman 3 set from FAO for X-mas and I really like the set alot. I guess I'm one of those fashion doll collectors who think that they are ok and sometimes they are pretty nice too. If I had the space and money I might get a few other's but I'd rather get antique toys if given the choice, still if given to me as a gift I'd think that was great.

Comment

• argent007
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 7, 2005

Tonner Batman = Lame.
                      My Updated Want List:
                      Comic book original art
                      1970s Hulk or Spider-man metal garbage can
                      Custom Mego Nexus, Grendel

Have lots of comics and Marvel Legends figures for trades. Thanks!

Comment

• spaceace35
                        Career Member
                        • Feb 1, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                        According to my wife, Toy Fair should reveal new Barbie WW, Batgirl and Black Canary. This according to reliable Barbie websites.

Chris

more batgirl yessss
                        Rockin Rebels

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

Check out Tonner's new "Wonder Woman" (I use that term loosely). Its a Diamond exclusive (probably because no one else would carry it!)

Who wants this, honestly? It's like a $200 version of Hasbro/Mattel made-up-pink-dayglow-nightmare Batman!

My wife, Wonder Woman AND fashion doll collector thinks this is hideous...so whose buyin'?

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

Oh that's sooooo friggin' UGLY! When the heck has Wonder Woman EVER worn that? Answer....NEVER! What are these companies (DC) thinking when they license their characters out like that? $$$ Cha-ching! (Although who would actually PAY anything for that is probbaly another matter entirely.)
                            Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                              OH JES!!
                              • Jul 21, 2005

That's Hideous!

Comment

• jemboy2004
                                Persistent Member
                                • Aug 14, 2005

well, I don't know all who collect the tonner dolls but know a few and they love the hero's and especially the heroines. Chris, your wife doesn't like it but I like the other one that's like this WW but done in different colors. Amazon Warrior, I think it was called. If no one liked them and wasn't buying them why would they continue to make them? Someone out there likes them.

These are collectors dolls and It's no surprise that guys(and gals) who like action figures would hate them. The tonner dolls need to be seen in person, they look alot better in person. I only have the spiderman set from FAO but seen most in person and was surprised that they looked much better in person. Especially WW, the first one I thought she looked cheap and ugly too but in person I was like wow the prototype in the promotions didn't do the doll justice.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎