X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

SDCC Preview night MOTU

Finally Pop gets some love with cartoon collection Catra. Other high points are cartoon Mantenna, Ram Man and Man E Faces and Origins Moduluk and Rio Blast.

Mattel SDCC 2024 Masters of the Universe Booth Images (toynewsi.com)
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I'm anxious to see what's done with Ram Man and hopeful Catra blends well-enough with Origins.

Edit: Dang, they've shown some fantastic stuff, including some Turtles of Grayskull that suggest great customs.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 25, '24, 11:43 AM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

She-Ra and Hordak were announced at the panel today plus a hint at Thundercats.

Mattel SDCC 2024 Masters of the Universe Panel Images (toynewsi.com)
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Dannyc
        Museum Patron
        • Feb 6, 2023

The Thundercats crossover tease is probably the thing I'm most excited about with MOTU.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

I've passed on the Turtles figures but I am really looking forward to the Thundercats crossover. It's a much better fit for MOTU.

I'm most excited for finally getting POP figures in origins. From what they said at the SDCC panel Horde Invasion is the new theme for Cartoon Origins next year for She-Ra's 40th anniversary and there are a lot more Horde and Great Rebellion figures planned. I'm thinking Bow, Glimmer and Shadow Weaver are safe bets. I'd love for them to do Castaspella and Perfuma.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Well, I've not collected many cartoon figures except for parts , but POP would change that. It's shameful how Origins snubbed POP. I hope you're right, Werewolf.

I'm not a great Thundercats fan, I think I actually watched Blackstar more back then, but I'm anxious to see what happens. I can't lie, I'd love to see a character like Mongor receive the MOTU-O treatment.

Some of the new TOG figures are like an acid trip, but they can help make some great "Vintage Origins" variants.
            Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 26, '24, 7:32 PM.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
              . It's shameful how Origins snubbed POP.
              It does really irritate me we will never get the toy versions of the POP characters. Especially considering the absolute glut of Snake Men we got.

To be honest I was beginning to worry the current MOTU team would completely ignore She-Ra's upcoming 40th anniversary. Toy Habits reported on a retailer leak that had a Frosta listing besides the She-Ra and Catra that were announced at SDCC. So it sounds like we will at least we will get a handful POP characters in 2025. I doubt they will go too deep into the Great Rebellion and I would be shocked if they get to the Star Sisters. The lack of Swift Wind at SDCC was also concerning.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I'm mystified that Origin's hasn't done Swift-Wind (or Bow and Arrow).

Personally I would rather have toy versions of POP, especially since the animated figure bucks (male & female alike) are weirdly chunky and the animated faces somewhat arch. But, it's better than nothing.

Fingers crossed that Bow might at least come with an alternate vintage head.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

The lack of Swift Wind in Origins has always been a head scratcher considering the sheer amount of re-use they could have gotten out of the mold. Besides all the obvious POP horses, they could have finally done Teela's charger that has been around since the first mini comic.

I'm going to try to think on the bright side. It's awesome we are finally getting some POP figures. Plus considering how poorly they handled the soft goods on Origins She-Ra and the figures wouldn't have had rooted hair anyways maybe it's for the best we are getting the Cartoon versions. Yes, both versions would have been nice but if we are only going to get one, the cartoon looks are honestly more iconic and popular.

Comment

• Jase
                    Museum Patron
                    • Sep 22, 2021

Look no further than Night Stalker still being available at Mattel Creations as to why Swift Wind hasn’t been made yet. Beasts don’t sell as well and if people don’t support the releases, why would Mattel make them? I want them to make everything, but they have to hit profit goals too.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Night Stalker was terribly overpriced. But most MOTU beasts and vehicles hit closeout, yes.

Swift-Wind would probably fare better if it included a variant-She-Ra--in light of the anniversary and the paucity of She-Ra releases so far.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Swift Wind is a lot more popular than Night Stalker.

It was disappointing Swifty didn't get made in Origins as was the lack of POP. But we will end up getting a much better articulated version in the Cartoon Collection and going by the hint on the Collector box a Swift Wind is coming.

Comment

• B-Lister
                          Eccentric Weirdo
                          • Mar 19, 2010

Happy for folks who love it, but I very much dislike Filmation, and thus am pretty much done collecting Origins. I'll snag the occasional Turtles of Grayskull figure, but have no interest in what I consider a stylistic downgrade.
                          Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                            Career Member
                            • Jan 19, 2019

I'm seeing some good custom fodder in the form of scaled legs and silver leg armor.
                            Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• Dannyc
                              Museum Patron
                              • Feb 6, 2023

Originally posted by B-Lister
                              Happy for folks who love it, but I very much dislike Filmation, and thus am pretty much done collecting Origins. I'll snag the occasional Turtles of Grayskull figure, but have no interest in what I consider a stylistic downgrade.
                              There's still some cool Origins releases coming up: Geldor,Demo-Man,Rio Blast, Moduloc. They've also mentioned they have an Origins Two Bad sculpted and are also planning to complete the vintage line in Origins. So that would mean Dragstor, Saurod, Blast Atak and whoever else are still to come at some point.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎