X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Captain
    Fighting the good fight!
    • Jun 17, 2001

History of the DC Universe

I saw some prototype pics for this line in the background on one of the news sites today (AFI I think?). Anyways, I'm wondering if anybody knows anything about it? Is it DC Direct or Mattel? The figures appear to be about 4-5 inches high?...Replacement for Infinite Crisis perhaps?

Update:
    Turns out it is DC Direct. The figures do look smaller than usual, but its hard to tell for sure.
    Last edited by Captain; Jul 24, '09, 1:30 AM.
    "Crayons taste like purple!"
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Its in the 6 inch range from DC Direct. Based on George Perez's History of the DCU comic.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

There's been 3 waves announced so far...not sure if anything has hit the shelves yet...
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• BlackKnight
        The DarkSide Customizer
        • Apr 16, 2005

Wave 1 ..

Batman
        ManHunter
        Green Arrow
        Blue Devil

.. Were all solicitated threw Diamond's "Incomming" for last Wens... So I think Wave 1 has been on the Shelves for 3 days....
        ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• madmarva
          Talkative Member
          • Jul 7, 2007

The History of the DCU Figures are compatible with most DC Direct's newer figures
          They look about the same size as the Blackest Night figures and the newest Justice League figures. They are not as thick or as tall as the Ed McGuiness inspired figures.

Comment

• Orion
            Museum Night Watchman
            • Mar 11, 2008

Did anyone here ever jump on this line or was everyone already heavily invested in the Mattel DCUC line? Saw some pictures of the third wave figures and Plastic Man and Ocean Master look pretty cool. The Superman and Braniac figures looks pretty nice as well.

Comment

• Orion
              Museum Night Watchman
              • Mar 11, 2008

Just a quick follow up. Here is a nice picture of the first 3 waves:

http://www.dccomics.com/media/deskto..._1280x1024.jpg

Also here is a shot of what appears to be the fourth wave coming in June 2010:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3508/...98eb8c0d_o.jpg

Comment

• Boris71
                GeekBot' For Life
                • May 13, 2007

Saw the second wave today with black lightning, flash aquaman and the creeper, wasn't as impressed with these as with the first lot and the creeper looked awful to me
                Check out my Electronic Mag here Psycho Styrene Modeling Magazine

Comment

• Orion
                  Museum Night Watchman
                  • Mar 11, 2008

I haven't seen them in person yet so can't weigh in on the second wave. From the pictures, I was wondering why Aquaman didn't have scales on his shirt, but I thought the Black Lighting looked well done. I'm a huge George Perez fan, so I also thought the packaging was nice with Perez artwork running up the sides of the blister. Based on your review, however, it sounds like I may be disappointed when I do take a closer look at the figures themselves.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                    The DarkSide Customizer
                    • Apr 16, 2005

I own the Blue Devil figure...
                    So Far that is All.
                    The Bodies for this figure line is very nice, & some of the Best Articulation from DC Direct Since the 1st Superman Figure from yrs Past..

They Used the Same Body for these,.. all 12 figures have it.
                    Which is a cool idea,.. when trying to create a line with the same size characters.

Everything on the Top Moves real good... , Down below they are a bit stiff,.. thus the Posing seems to have a bit of limitation.

Very detailed work, & I like My Purchase, Hope to get the PlasticMan , Creeper & the Aquaman figure as well..

My Only Complaint,.. is that these are suppost to be in Honor of Perez's Art Work threwout the Yr(s)..., I see absolutely No Resemblance to Perez in any of the Figures. Perhaps it's just me,.. But them Jim Lee Batman figure Sure looked like Lee's Work, as well as some other stuff out there,.. I think they coulda done a Better Job if you are Attaching someones Name to a Project.
                    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

Comment

• Orion
                      Museum Night Watchman
                      • Mar 11, 2008

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                      Everything on the Top Moves real good... , Down below they are a bit stiff,.. thus the Posing seems to have a bit of limitation.

Very detailed work, & I like My Purchase, Hope to get the PlasticMan , Creeper & the Aquaman figure as well..

My Only Complaint,.. is that these are suppost to be in Honor of Perez's Art Work
                      Good to hear you are satisfied with the Blue Devil figure. I never picked up any of the DCUC and it just looked overwhelming to dive into that series (which does look amazing), so I picked up a few of these figures instead.

And yeah, with respect to resembling Perez's artwork - from the pictures the Supes figure kind of looks like it and maybe that smile on Aquaman, but otherwise not a great resemblance. Looking at the muscular body type they chose, well that was Perez in the early days, but his art seemed to get more refined by New Teen Titans, Crisis, etc.

I would like to see the line be successful, but from a review of the DC Direct message boards, looks like there are a lot of complaints from fans. Granted, many of the complaint focus on DC Direct trying to capitalize on Mattel's success with the DCUC through the introduction of the History line. Other complaints seem to focus on the fact that these figures don't exactly fit into the size of past DC Direct offerings.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                        The DarkSide Customizer
                        • Apr 16, 2005

^^^ Yeah, But the Same can be said about just any line of DC Direct figures,.. as far as Not fitting into Scale with other Ones...

Look at the Turner Nonsense,.. Which was Horrible may He R.I.P. ...
                        Ross's figure's only fit in with themselves.., same can be said of the Lee Figures,.. & Many, Many others.

The Green Lantern Figures,.. series 1-3 as far as the Human figures,.. are Far too Small than Most others... & Well the McGuiness figures are for sure far thier own..

I think as far as *****ing about DC Direct figures not fitting in with each other,.. that is really a Moot Point,.. considering No Line Really has But a figure here or there for Yrs.

My Blue Devil Figure is Very, very nice...
                        I think it's one of the Better figures done in a Sea of Batman & Superman's over the Last few Yrs ...

Other than the Ross Justice,.. & the 1 series of the JSA Ross figures,.. I Am trying to think of another recent figure I like as Much,.. & really cannot from DCD... I did like the JLA New Line.. The Girls,.. Black Canary, Vixen, Hawkgirl & Wonder Woman ..., & the Teen Titan's wave with Jericho,.. But they are like many Statues to me,... & you can Barely Pose them.

The Figure does some what fit into the same Scale & seems to look right with my DC Universe Classic Figures from Mattel ..., I am very excited to see what the Blackest Night figures look like Up close..
                        Last edited by BlackKnight; Sep 8, '09, 6:57 PM.

Comment

• Orion
                          Museum Night Watchman
                          • Mar 11, 2008

Michael Turner was such a good artist - yeah, what a loss at such a young age. Turner's unique style didn't translate well to action figures - at least in that line. Ross's style, on the other hand, always seems to look good in an action figure. (I was looking at that new JSA line - they do look really nice.)

The History line could be a good opportunity to produce some figures we haven't seen before - the only question is whether or not DC will support the line past some initial bumpy times/fan complaints and allow the line to grow.

I kind of like the muscular quirky body type of the figures and think it adds charm. But maybe being a Mego lover, like everyone else around here, charm sometimes outweighs perfection - which some collectors seem to be looking for.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                            The DarkSide Customizer
                            • Apr 16, 2005

The Golden Age Green Lantern figure to the Ross Line is SO Damn Cool.

.. I am not even going to Blame the Fact that Turner's art didn't transition well to Action Figures ..., The Artist in charge of them figures Dropped the Ball & turned that Crap over to the other team. Those figures could have looked so much better imo. Very Dissapointing to say the Least... I do own the DeadShot figure,.. ofcourse.

Comment

• megocanada
                              Permanent Member
                              • Apr 18, 2003

I love that picture with Captain Atom in it. If you look to his right that's Superman as the original Nightwing. I have to get that!!!!! That looks awesome. I guess Jimmy Olsen as Flamebird can't be far behind?

Derek
                              the greatest Superman of all time Earth 2 Superman

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎