X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • starsky
    veteran member
    • Aug 26, 2007

anybody here collect starting lineups?

just wondering if anyone here collects starting lineup. i remember these guys were very popular. looking for jordan figures myself. anyone have any or collect other players?
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

yup I do!

I have a few rare ones,well what use to be rare ones.I have almost every single Marino (just missing the one Seau is rushing him)

I have some good rookie pieces,like Shaq,2 Randy Moss's,Iverson,Kobe,a few Jordan's,P.Manning,stuff like that.

Even though they're kind of cheap,I still love them
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

My nephew gave me a few old LOOSE Joe Montana's

If anyone is interested in buying them, LMK

I have

m

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

you know I ended up grabbing a great deal at the FX toy show a few years back,I'm looking as some dude who has like 1000 beanie babies and some Barbies,so my wife goes to check it out.As I look closely I see some SLU's... I was like cool,me and some other guy were checking them out,so I ask the guy,how much are these? he says $5 each or 3 for $10 I was like what?!? me and the other guy start grabbing stuff,In the end I ended up with like 3 Gem mint Jordan's in the protective cases(which are worth the $5 alone) the Kobe Rookie,Magic Johnson Rookie and a few others.

I remember the other guy grabbed the Larry Bird's and Tim Duncan Rookies and a bunch of others

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I remember sports fans in middle school and high school collecting those just like baseball cards. Because of that, they escaped the "stigma" of toy collectors. I shared my hobby with very few back then.

Didn't the bottom drop out of the market at some point?

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

a couple of years into Ebay the market crashed on these.I remember almost paying $200 for the Rookie Marino and getting outbid in the last second,now you can get one for like $40-$60 and it still books for like $200+

But I don't care,My Marino collection is still one of my faves and I still have more

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

My dad use to collect these. I use to collect the soccer ones. I remember the time Ames dumped these. Rack upon rack of first and second year stuff. I also remember hearing about the fist fights breaking out at KBs every time a new case of hockey figures came in. It was usually between the guys who collected those and the ones who collected Hot Wheels trying to make a quick buck off of them as well.

Comment

• toys2cool
                Ultimate Mego Warrior
                • Nov 27, 2006

Yeah i hated the SLU collectors,somehow they always got there first and took all the good stuff.The only time i was ever able to get good stuff was when i worked at Toys r us

Comment

• johnnystorm
                  Hot Child in the City
                  • Jul 3, 2008

I collected the Hockey figures, and I remember going to a Starting Lineup convention back around 1998 or 99, out in NJ. There were huge lines to get the convention exclusive Wayne Gretzky figures. Then about a year later the McFarlane stuff came out and Starting Lineups sales tanked immediately then Hasbro cut the line soon after. Funny thing is, now I hear the same complaints about the McFarlane stuff from a few local guys who collected both lines..repeating the same poses, same players over & over, details are starting to slip. Are there conventions for McFarlane collectors like there were for SLU?

I remember Hills Department Stores carying SLU big time, and there was always a Black Friday release...we would go at like 5:00 am trying to get the goalie figures that were short-packed, and there was always a bunch of dealers killing each other to get them. They used to sell for like $50 bucks & up...now I think you can find them at flea markets for $3-5 each. I dumped almost all of mine years ago for a few bucks each at yard sales.

I still have the Gretzky ones and my favorite, Mario Lemieux. We got some of the Canadian versions of those when we went to Toronto a few years ago.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                    OH JES!!
                    • Jul 21, 2005

I have one a double Pack Joe Dimaggio and Mickey Mantle.......Dimaggio signed it for me. i tried getting Mantle to sign it but that was around the time he got sick and then passed away.....

Comment

• toys2cool
                      Ultimate Mego Warrior
                      • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                      I have one a double Pack Joe Dimaggio and Mickey Mantle.......Dimaggio signed it for me. i tried getting Mantle to sign it but that was around the time he got sick and then passed away.....
                      wow that piece must be awesome

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                        OH JES!!
                        • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by toys2cool
                        wow that piece must be awesome
                        i thought it was a crap figure..lol! Then my Dad got to know Dimaggio personally and Joe agreed to sign it for nothing...Lucky me. I got to meet him and He told me : "take good care of me" which I have....

Comment

• starsky
                          veteran member
                          • Aug 26, 2007

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                          i thought it was a crap figure..lol! Then my Dad got to know Dimaggio personally and Joe agreed to sign it for nothing...Lucky me. I got to meet him and He told me : "take good care of me" which I have....
                          that's awesome!! joltin joe's auto!!

Comment

• starsky
                            veteran member
                            • Aug 26, 2007

a couple of years into Ebay the market crashed on these.I remember almost paying $200 for the Rookie Marino and getting outbid in the last second,now you can get one for like $40-$60 and it still books for like $200+

But I don't care,My Marino collection is still one of my faves and I still have more

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...l/kodak010.jpg
                            very cool collection d!!

Comment

• starsky
                              veteran member
                              • Aug 26, 2007

Yeah i hated the SLU collectors,somehow they always got there first and took all the good stuff.The only time i was ever able to get good stuff was when i worked at Toys r us
                              i worked at toys r us too and that's where i was able to grab some as well!! it felt good to beat those guys to the fresh case!!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎