X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Are Target's closing in your area?

We went by a local Target in our area today and to my unbelieving eyes, it was closed. Not for the day but closed for good. This was a good Target too, plenty of traffic and plenty of lines, so it didn't make sense they would close. Definitely a sign of the economic times we are living in. Just wondering if anyone else is seeing these stores close or other staple names in their area.
  • BlackKnight
    The DarkSide Customizer
    • Apr 16, 2005

You sure they just didn't relocate ???
    My Old Lady Works at Target,.. she says the Biz is Better than ever,.. I was also reading an Article,.. about Company's not really affected or Hurting because of the economy, & Target was one of them. Interesting.
    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• jessica
      fortune favors the bold
      • Nov 5, 2007

They moved one that was really close to a BART station in El Cerrito that had a lot of traffic and moved it waaaayyyyyy away to the next BART stop, in Richmond. It's in a rougher area of the neighborhood, and I have never bothered to go there. I don't think it's THAT accessible by BART either although that's what they claim.
      Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
      Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
      1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
      1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• starsky
        veteran member
        • Aug 26, 2007

that's unbelievable!

Comment

• jimbutsu
          Memory *is* RAM!
          • Apr 11, 2002

No mass Target closings going on. It was probably either a relocation or a remodel, where older stores get revamped or rebuilt.
          "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• jessica
            fortune favors the bold
            • Nov 5, 2007

Originally posted by jimbutsu
            No mass Target closings going on. It was probably either a relocation or a remodel, where older stores get revamped or rebuilt.
            I don't know why they moved that store from El Cerrito. It was pretty new.
            Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
            Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
            1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
            1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• spotter
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 6, 2008

Target did miss their earnings estimate last year ( along with most retailers except Walmart) but the company's earnings were excellent in the fourth quarter of 08 so I am also of the opinion of remodel or relocation ( target tends to abandon smaller stores when lease expires in favor of larger locations nearby as getting local approval for external expansion is difficult and expensive
              Looking for t1 LIZARD

Comment

• jimbutsu
                Memory *is* RAM!
                • Apr 11, 2002

Where are you getting your information?

Q4 earnings haven't come out yet- only sales. Q4 sales were way down, only January was anything close to decent. (and comps were down in January).

Target tends to own most of the land their stores are on, so they're not in the business of leasing or abandoning to any great degree. This includes the El Cerrito location, which was probably shut down because of other stores nearby, as Jessica mentioned.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_11551909

If the Target that kicked off the thread is the one on Westport Rd, it sounds like it's getting knocked down and you're getting a Super Target, which is WAY nicer than a regular store - expanded departments, full gocery, etc.
                "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                  Removed.
                  • Jun 14, 2008

Haven't noticed or heard of any closing here. In fact there's a SuperTarget due to be built right around the corner from me. I wish they'd hurry up and build it!! They delayed it due to the economic problems but the have the land all leveled and lots laid out.
                  Rich

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Got three in Polk county and all are booming everytime I go there. AND they actually have cashiers there towait on you, unlike Walmart.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by jimbutsu
                      Where are you getting your information?

Q4 earnings haven't come out yet- only sales. Q4 sales were way down, only January was anything close to decent. (and comps were down in January).

Target tends to own most of the land their stores are on, so they're not in the business of leasing or abandoning to any great degree. This includes the El Cerrito location, which was probably shut down because of other stores nearby, as Jessica mentioned.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_11551909

If the Target that kicked off the thread is the one on Westport Rd, it sounds like it's getting knocked down and you're getting a Super Target, which is WAY nicer than a regular store - expanded departments, full gocery, etc.
                      That store IS on Westport road. That would be incredible if it becomes a super store. I'll see if there are any signs on the door indicating this. Thanks for the head's up!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎