X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Captain
    Fighting the good fight!
    • Jun 17, 2001

thoughts on figure scales...

Which format do you think is probably the most appealing to kids these days (all loyalties to Mego aside)? Your choices are 3 3/4", 8", and 12".
    "Crayons taste like purple!"
  • BlackKnight
    The DarkSide Customizer
    • Apr 16, 2005

3&3/4 inch , & 6 inch scale. Most definately ... They wouldn't make so many of them, if they were not popular.

But everything is out the Window when you factor Transformers into the Question ,... I guess it all depends on the character.
    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Type3Toys
      Home Of The Type3 Body
      • Jan 18, 2005

I would agree with Jason, for the most part. The 3 3/4 and marvel legend size seem to be the most popular, with kids and collectors alike. Funny thing though, as a window installer, I would be inside every room of the customers house. I have seen lot of toys for all ages. In 14 years, never saw a mego in a house, ever. Seen a couple superhero toys, mainly ML stuff. Hands down most popular action figure type toy I have seen...Wrestling figures, by far. I have seen literally 100's of them in all shapes and sizes.
      LOOK
      Action Figure Design & Prototypes
      For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
      To Contact: [email protected]

Comment

• Captain
        Fighting the good fight!
        • Jun 17, 2001

Never thought of 6"...shoulda thrown that in also.

I know a guy whos working on a toy line, and he's having trouble deciding on the right scale. The manufacturer already has a massive line of 12" bodies and accessories that would make the development costs wayyyy lower. This company also does have some 3 3/4 stuff, but its all military stuff, meaning new body toolings for each figure, plus most of the accessories would have to be designed as well.
        If he goes 6", its all new sculpts and toolings all the way.
        My personal preference would be 8", but when I threw that suggestion on the table everybody looked at me like I had leperosy.

It seems to me 3 3/4" stuff is really making a comeback these days, but I can never tell if its collectors or kids who are driving that trend. Seems all the actual "kid oriented" toys are oddball stuff like Bakugan, Di Gata Defenders, etc. Not really action figures in my book, but then I'm a long ways from being a modern era 7 year old.

Comment

• fallensaviour
          Talkative Member
          • Aug 28, 2006

My son loves his 3 3/4 inch star wars and 8 inch mego/emce so thats all I got for ya.
          “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• ZICA
            Persistent Member
            • May 7, 2006

I've always been a fan of the 3 3/4" scale mainly because of how well it works for vehicles and playsets.

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

I'm in the midst of a buying frenzie for the DC Deluxe figures which, technically are 13", but my first love will always be for the eight inch cloth, Mego-like, figures. I'm more about the art and displayability of a figure and I think the 8 inch (and up) give greater creativity and detail than the smaller scaled types.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                OH JES!!
                • Jul 21, 2005

6" It's the scale that my Son loves because most figures now come that way so he can play with multiple figure from other lines.

Comment

• LadyZod
                  Superman's Gal Pal
                  • Jan 27, 2007

I think the turn to 3 3/4" in mostly due to rising oil prices... some familiar?

Let's see... Star Trek "megos", Hasbro shutting down production on 12inch to concentrate on 3 3/4", other companies making the switch from a bigger scale to 3 3/4"... it's the 70's all over again!

Complete with a Democrat taking office, a recession, and gas too expensive to buy.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
                  Check out my art:
                  Art Portfolio@Redbubble
                  Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• vulcan2074
                    Live Long and Prosper
                    • Mar 23, 2008

3 3/4 because there easier to put in your Pocket and Take to school Of Course
                    Sammy

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

>The manufacturer already has a massive line of 12" bodies and accessories that would make the development costs wayyyy lower.

....but it'd put the sales costs way up, and might turn some buyers off. I think the 3.5" scale is sseing a resurgence 'cos it makes for less expensive figures. Stuff that CAN be bought and played with, or bought as an impulse buy by a casual collector.

Don C.

Comment

• starsky
                        veteran member
                        • Aug 26, 2007

i love the new gi joe 25th anniversary 3 3/4 inch guys and the 6 inch dc universe heroes!!

Comment

• Captain
                          Fighting the good fight!
                          • Jun 17, 2001

Originally posted by ctc
                          >The manufacturer already has a massive line of 12" bodies and accessories that would make the development costs wayyyy lower.

....but it'd put the sales costs way up, and might turn some buyers off. I think the 3.5" scale is sseing a resurgence 'cos it makes for less expensive figures. Stuff that CAN be bought and played with, or bought as an impulse buy by a casual collector.

Don C.
                          ...Actually, I used to work with this manufacturer about 5-6 years ago, and at that time they could turn out a high quality 12" figure with a retail price of $8.99. Today, I'm guessing they could do the same with a licensed figure for around 12 bucks a pop. I agree with all your points though. Seems 3 3/4" may be the way to go here...

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎