X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Caveman Game Consoles

I remember the day my dad brought home a telestar, he went up several points in popularity. a few years later with the onset of Atari and several (sleazy) arcades opening up in town, it made the ol' telestar look down right Paleolithic.

I imagine if you were to make one now, it would be the size of a quarter.
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Adam West
    Museum CPA
    • Apr 14, 2003

There is a great scene in Wall*E where he is playing Pong by himself. He hasn't figured out that he hit 2 player I presume and that his serve never gets returned.
    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
    ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

I had (have) the Telstar Alpha. I brought it to my school, and the kids loved it! However, they were so used to pushing buttons, controlling the "paddles" w/ knobs was surprisingly tricky. They loved it so much, they broke it.
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
        To Fear is Not Logical...
        • Feb 17, 2008

Not just the video game console but look at that old TV in the ad! Knobs that you have to get up out of your chair and turn/click. Try explaining that to a kid today.
        It's all good!

Comment

• Beatnik
          Museum Patron
          • Apr 2, 2008

I got the Marx TV Tennis for Christmas, what a lame attempt. I mostly remember the grinding motor noise.

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

man that's old school
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• kinostadt
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 14, 2004

Originally posted by Beatnik
              I got the Marx TV Tennis for Christmas, what a lame attempt. I mostly remember the grinding motor noise.
              Wow, that's cool. I just found this description. I'll bet it broke quickly.

"Marx TV Tennis toy 1975 A completely mechanical version of the arcade version of Pong, in which the "ball" is an illuminated flashlight bulb connected by long rubber springs to the player's control knobs."

Comment

• Beatnik
                Museum Patron
                • Apr 2, 2008

So that's what was in there! The light thing was just sort of aimlessly directed back and forth and it did keep score too, I think.

WhrrrrrrWhrrrrrrWhrrrrrrr....CLUNK....WhrrrrrrWhrr rrrrWhrrrrrrr....CLUNK

Comment

• mazinz
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 2, 2007

that's amazing! I love older systems and I never even heard of this.
                  "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• Adam West
                    Museum CPA
                    • Apr 14, 2003

I don't own any gaming systems nor do I play anything really other than a game here or there when I'm spending time with my kids.

They can clean my clock on just about any game because I don't really know which button does what. However, if you give me an old school game with the controllers, I can beat my kids at just about any classic arcade game. It is kind of funny to watch the frustration on their face when they lose a game of Donkey Kong in about 2 minutes.

They are so used to the story board feel of the current games, they don't understand how a game could end in less than a minute like Asteroids if you don't really know what you're doing.
                    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                    ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• megomaniac
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 10, 2006

I admit it! We had one of those Telstars. My older brother wouldn't let me play it so I had to wait until he was out to play, and mom wouldn't let us hook it up to the 'good' TV for fear that it would damage the screen. Ah! The good ol' days!

Comment

• HardyGirl
                        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                        • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by megomaniac
                        I admit it! We had one of those Telstars. My older brother wouldn't let me play it so I had to wait until he was out to play, and mom wouldn't let us hook it up to the 'good' TV for fear that it would damage the screen. Ah! The good ol' days!
                        Yeah, remember when department stores would leave these things on all day for people to try and they wrecked the TVs w/ "ghosting", and then they'd have to mark the sets down to half-price or thereabouts?
                        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍