X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

1982 GI Joe Playset from the JC Penney Catalog

One of my favourite things about Department store wishbooks is when they snuck in an exclusive item. Sometimes this was whole figures like the Mego Secret Identity figures; other times, carry cases or even playsets meant to be used with the toys unofficially. That’s the case with the Mobile Command HQ playset from the […]
    The post 1982 GI Joe Playset from the JC Penney Catalog appeared first on PS.

More...
  • warlock664
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by RSS
    One of my favourite things about Department store wishbooks is when they snuck in an exclusive item. Sometimes this was whole figures like the Mego Secret Identity figures;
    To be fair, those weren’t “whole figures”, just clothing and heads.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, these types of things are cool, especially when they actually seem to fit in with the line! Similar to an item I received, the "Super Powers Car" Sears advertised in their Wish Book. It came in a generic box with no SP branding, and I knew I had been snookered. Still it was fun to play with.

That GI Joe-esque playset is very similar to the Pocket Batcave, but I can see it's not from the same molds. But it looks like someone was staring at it while designing this!
      sigpic

Comment

• tay666
        Career Member
        • Dec 27, 2008

I remember in the 90's when I worked in injection molding and we did a bunch of stuff for Little Tikes.
        We used to do catalog exclusives occasionally. They would always be bagged sets stuffed in generic master cartons that usually just had the Little Tikes logo and a variety of part numbers and we would check off which item was in the box.

As far as exclusive playsets. The only one I have personal experience with was the Sears Cantina set. My best friend had that, as well as the blue Snaggletooth figure that came with it. I eventually got that figure from him about 10 years later.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎