X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

13 Great Examples of Marvel Merchandise

In my latest article for 13th Dimension, I cover just a few of the cool pieces of merch from our youth touched by the artist hand of Spider-Man's greatest artist, the late, great John Romita, Sr. Not only was Romita a master at drawing Spidey, he defined the look of the entire Marvel Universe for several generations. Take a look!

Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Jul 1, '23, 9:18 AM.
    sigpic
  • hizzy
    Museum Super Collector
    • Apr 1, 2023

I really enjoy 13th Dimension since discovering it through the forums. Great article!

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Thoroughly enjoyable, great choices. I didn't get to buy many comics until the '80s, so merchandising art--and Mego--heavily influenced my appreciation of characters. Romita's Capt. America remains my favorite art of my favorite Marvel character.

I was a bit obsessed with the Green Goblin as a kid and thrilled to get a Mego version. I like the slightly more sinister art used on the cardback, as opposed to the "cheerier", slicker art used on some other merch/promotions.

The 13th Dimension consistently hits all the right fan and nostalgia buttons for me. Thanks again!
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 1, '23, 5:38 PM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
        Career Member
        • Jan 19, 2019

I had that Spiderman album on CD. Its cheesy, but fun.
        Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
          learning all the time
          • Sep 15, 2010

great stuff!
          those fireside book covers are amazing!

but... is that goblin poster really announcing the green goblin made public appearances???????

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Thanks everyone!

but... is that goblin poster really announcing the green goblin made public appearances???????
            Yes, it certainly is! That poster came courtesy of our own Palitoy here, and I myself saw the Goblin in person!
            sigpic

Comment

• Dannyc
              • Feb 6, 2023

So reflections of a super hero cover...drawn & painted by Cardy or just painted by Cardy over a Romita pencil layout...? Cause that very much looks like a Romita Peter Parker to me.

Also, superficially at least, the cover reminds me a little of the costume reveal from the Hammond Spiderman show.

Comment

• Makernaut
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 22, 2015

I have a picture from my 8th birthday where I am decked out in a Cap t-shirt from Sears that features the Cap from the Marvel Public Appearance Posters and Marvel Slurpee Cup.

Great list! I loved looking at those items and remembering how much fun it was to have a childhood filled with that stuff!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

So reflections of a super hero cover...drawn & painted by Cardy or just painted by Cardy over a Romita pencil layout...? Cause that very much looks like a Romita Peter Parker to me.

Also, superficially at least, the cover reminds me a little of the costume reveal from the Hammond Spiderman show.
                  I'm not sure if Romita did a rough layout, or full pencils. Honestly, I had never heard the Cardy story, and one of 13th Dimension's commentors pointed it out, very nicely. So Dan Greenfield and I scrambled to change it. Apparently Romita apologized to Cardy for Stan having Romita sign his name to it, when Cardy did the painting on the cover. I'm a big fan of Nick Cardy too, and he basically did almost nothing for Marvel, so I was shocked to learn this, especially with Romita painting plenty of work during the period.
                  sigpic

Comment

• The Batman Professor
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 15, 2010

Rarely a week goes by that I don’t play ROCK REFLECTIONS or the earlier (but equally groovy) JAN AND DEAN MEET BATMAN
                    sigpicSWEAR TO ME!

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎