Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can You Get Into Toy Lines You Didn't Grow Up With?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

I just thought about the "flip-side" of this question.

I have collected toys from a couple of lines that I didn't have as kid. However, there are some lines that I absolutely loved as a kid like Best of the West, Big Jim, LJN (The Rookies, SWAT, Emergency), and Gabriel Lone Ranger that I have made zero effort to collect as an adult and I can't really think of a good reason why I haven't.

Comment

• B-Lister
      Eccentric Weirdo
      • Mar 19, 2010

Tons of stuff I had as a kid that I have zero interest in as an adult.

But the one toyline I keep going back to is M.U.S.C.L.E. It's just so easy to collect. You can buy a handful here and there and it's a fun little thing to do.

Collectors have driven the price of some popular characters up, but you can casually build the majority of a set on the cheap.
      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• hizzy
        Museum Super Collector
        • Apr 1, 2023

Originally posted by Makernaut

I have collected toys from a couple of lines that I didn't have as kid. However, there are some lines that I absolutely loved as a kid like Best of the West, Big Jim, LJN (The Rookies, SWAT, Emergency), and Gabriel Lone Ranger that I have made zero effort to collect as an adult and I can't really think of a good reason why I haven't.
        I have a lot of OG star wars toys that are meaningless to me. Same with Transformers, MASK and 80's GI Joe. I was crazy about that as a kid but I could care less now!

This is a great "flip-side" question!!

Comment

• rykerw1701
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by Makernaut

I absolutely loved my Evel Knievel stunt cycle as a kid. I went through a couple of them, and it was rare my parents replaced toys. I still like seeing pictures of the whole collection they offered at the time, but I've never bought a single item. I think it was just one thing too many to try to get.

Comment

• drquest
            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
            • Apr 17, 2012

I was born in 1970, so I missed Captain Action and the larger part of the action soldier painted hair version of GiJoe, but did have Adventure Team. But I embraced what I missed in the 1960's and have a nice collection of 1960's Joes and Captain Action.

I find no problem is going backwards in time to collect things I either didn't know about or see, or things that were out literally before I was born. I do have appreciation for stuff that was past my "playing with toys" golden age, but don't generally collect things from the later times. Ironically I'm kind of that way with new or re-issue stuff too. I like it, and it puts a smile on my face when I see it, but I don't have a buy it. I'd rather put that money in a vintage version.

That doesn't mean I don't have newer things, but when Super 7 releases something that was never made before, I really have to decide hard if I want them. Case in point are the new Black Hole figures, somethings transcend time, and I may have to buy those....
            Danny(Drquest)
            Captain Action HQ
            Retro shirts and stuff
            More retro shirts
            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Mr.Marion
              Permanent Member
              • Sep 15, 2014

I was on a MOTU kick after not being into them as a kid, I still had a few though I remember buying Rockon and Roboto 2/$5 on moldy cardbacks at a swap meet because there wasn't any other toys there.

What's surprising to me is how some high some 90's toys are going for crazy money when they were almost worthless only a decade ago.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎