X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

The Federated Group: Fred R. Rated

If you lived in California, Texas, New Mexico and Nevada in the early 80's, then you were treated to this maniac. He was the David Lee Roth of ridiculous commercials.

Shadoe Stevens created the Branding, Advertising and Marketing campaign for a West Coast home electronics company called The Federated Group. He called the campaign "Bludgeon Advertising." Working with the brilliant company President Keith Powell, the campaign increased sales 500% in the first weekend. Within four years, the company grew from 16 local Southern California stores to 78 superstores in 5 states. It broke the rules of advertising and experimented with ideas no one had done before. It was the first regional advertising campaign ever to have received a 2 page spread in Time Magazine. Keith Powell gave Shadoe the freedom to create almost anything they could come up with, at an average of 5-6 TV commercials every week for six years. The 5 man, Monty Python-like team, created over 1,100 different television commercials. All were short comedy skits and parodies and no commercial ever ran longer than ten days.

The Archery one is my favorite.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.
  • SeattleEd
    SynthoRes Transmigrator
    • Oct 24, 2007

Love the commercials and shopping there. We shopped at the one Sunset and Vine. Got my first boombox on my 13th birthday from there. A panasonic baby blue double deck player with speed dubbing.

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

I miss these locally produced, low budget commercials. The first one is a masterpiece!
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• boss
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 18, 2003

Originally posted by Wee67
        I miss these locally produced, low budget commercials. The first one is a masterpiece!
        As someone who wrote and produced local, low budget, TV commercials… these are something totally different. Great stuff.
        Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I remember Shadoe Stevens as the announcer on the 80s version of Hollywood Squares. These are a lot of fun! I miss stuff like this too. I would have shopped there, just because of these commercials!
          sigpic

Comment

• SeattleEd
            SynthoRes Transmigrator
            • Oct 24, 2007

If you have 94 minutes to kill and want to see the most of Shadoe Stevens work, check out this video bio he created 9 years ago. Contains the complete Shadoevision mini movie he created back in 1986 with the Fred Rated Team.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎