X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Action Figure Adventure on tubi

Anyone watch this? It's made by The Nacelle Company, the folks who did The Toys That Made Us and published Brian's new edition of Rack Toys.

Basic premise is a Canadian collector decides to go around North America picking up choice vintage action figure toys to sell at auction, the proceeds going to a children's hospital.

I watched episode one, and the premise is solid, and I like the sentiment. It also shows action figure collectors as decent human beings, which is a nice change from a lot of the YouTube channels taking shots at one another and in-fighting among geeks on social media.

And of course, the eye candy is great. Looking forward to watching the rest of the series.

Chris
    sigpic
  • Mego-Amigo
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 22, 2011

I'll look this up. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
      Permanent Member
      • Sep 15, 2014

Man I watched this whole thing in about 3 days. I don't think it's going to inspire new collectors to the hobby but it is preaching to the already converted.

The ending auction was a bit of a let down, I don't think charity helps boost sales unfortunately in the collecting community.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

I finished the series yesterday. It was a fascinating show in a lot of ways. I appreciated that there wasn't much snark in the show, and as I said above it was nice to see toy collectors actually being nice to one another. If an outsider stumbled upon some of the recent YouTube videos of action figure "influencers" firing shots at other collectors, or industry insiders, they'd wonder "What's wrong with these people?"

I was surprised the auction turned out in such a disapointing fashion, but I applaud them for showing how it really went down. There was a genuine sincerity to the show I found refreshing. Sure, there are moments of clearly scripted moments like any reality show, but it did feel more genuine.
        sigpic

Comment

• Mr.Marion
          Permanent Member
          • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          I finished the series yesterday. It was a fascinating show in a lot of ways. I appreciated that there wasn't much snark in the show, and as I said above it was nice to see toy collectors actually being nice to one another. If an outsider stumbled upon some of the recent YouTube videos of action figure "influencers" firing shots at other collectors, or industry insiders, they'd wonder "What's wrong with these people?"

I was surprised the auction turned out in such a disapointing fashion, but I applaud them for showing how it really went down. There was a genuine sincerity to the show I found refreshing. Sure, there are moments of clearly scripted moments like any reality show, but it did feel more genuine.
          Yeah I think the feud you're talking about was just a personality clash , one guy has a dry personality and likes to be the center of attention. The other guy is a prankster that covers pop culture on YouTube and also likes kenner SW and 80's toys. The guy who took himself too seriously didn't like jokes being made at his expense. Yes its childish but it happens in every niche hobby. I doubt hurt feelings from a retroblast or junkman is going to make anyone rethink buying old toys.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

^Not just that one, but the general tone of over-entitled anger on some of those channels is just ridiculous. There are of course great exceptions like all of Brian's stuff, Pixel Dan, Dan Larson/Toy Galaxy, Fwoosh, Shartimus Prime, etc. I would rather have a lay person outside stumble onto one of these channels, or this show, than the vitriol spewing channels.
            sigpic

Comment

• Mr.Marion
              Permanent Member
              • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              ^Not just that one, but the general tone of over-entitled anger on some of those channels is just ridiculous. There are of course great exceptions like all of Brian's stuff, Pixel Dan, Dan Larson/Toy Galaxy, Fwoosh, Shartimus Prime, etc. I would rather have a lay person outside stumble onto one of these channels, or this show, than the vitriol spewing channels.
              I'm not going to say who the ideal collector or dealers is or should be like. But I will share what my older Brother's wife told him after his business was successful and was taking up too many hours of the week. "You should find a hobby that makes you happy where you can escape to. " He took up farming but it just as easily could be toy collecting, comic reading , or something else.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^Yes, that's a nice sentiment. If a hobby causes you that much frustration... is it a really a hobby anymore? Or is your hobby now just anger?
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎