X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Myoldtoys
    Veteran Member
    • May 15, 2012

Christmas gifts that have stood the test of time...with some help

It's been a while since I posted. Kind of been in a toy collecting funk. But Christmas is always a great time to reflect on those special toys that Santa brought.

This picture is from Christmas 1974. It's one of the few pictures that show any cool toys that my older brother and I got for Christmas. You can see the Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle that my brother got from Santa.

We got a couple trail bikes and an extra doll over the next year or so. These toys took a beating from us, the neighborhood kids, and the tar-n-chip road in front of my parent's house. This is what they looked like circa-1997. The Evel figure had broken leg an arm wires, his original white suit was gone, and he had a lot of paint wear. The red suit was from a neighbors Evel figure that I bought at a yard sale. Most people would have thrown him out. For some reason I held onto him while I bought replacement figures in excellent shape.

I bought some piano wire from the local hobby store. Took Evel's head off and proceeded to shove the wires into his body. He isn't perfect, but at least be can stand and be bent. The next step was to find a donor suit on eBay. I found one for about $15 in decent condition. The suit was dirty and had some minor blead from the felt "V" on the front. I don't know how others clean their Knievel suits, but here is what I have done with 3 so far. I cut the V off the front by snipping the clear thread. Then I open the seams on the shoulders where they tuck in. Once the V is off, then I wash the white suit in either dish soap or various laundry soaps depending on the amount of staining. This one came out pretty clean. Finally, I hand stitch the V back on to the front using clear thread similar to the original.

I touched up Evel's hair and repainted the eyebrows with acrylic paint. The helmet is the original helmet from this figure that I also refinished (there is a thread on that restoration). Since this picture was taken, I also found him an original belt.

Last edited by Myoldtoys; Dec 21, '21, 7:47 PM.
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

That's really cool you were able to repair and restore your childhood Evel. Looks great.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Excellent. I've found dish-soap to be really useful and effective as well.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• SainthoodDenied
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 26, 2008

very awesome, he looks great.
        Chad

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

That's some great memories and thanks for sharing. These Evel Knievel toys were a blast. I have my original chopper motorcycle, I think a front fork is broken on it, but boy did these things get played with.
          Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Ninersphan1
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 27, 2009

Hands down, the Evel cycles were some of the most fun toys ever made. There is nothing like winding those suckers up and watching them tear *** down the road. That said the figures were hot garbage. I HATE bendy figures and these ones seemed to have the cheapest most brittle wires in them ever use to make a figure. They were always easily broken. Kudos to you for hanging onto one and finding a way to restore it. BRAVO

Comment

• Myoldtoys
              Veteran Member
              • May 15, 2012

I bought a couple cycles in a lot with the intention to keep one and resell the rest. Well that never happened. One was a broken first version, that I repaired the handlebars on.

I still occasionally exercise the stunts cycles. Two years ago, my siblings and their children came over for Christmas and I let them all jump them. I did get one of the new Pro Series stunt cycles this year. I think the original ones will just be used for short runs with no jumping.

These pictures are of the restored original figure and stunt cycle. They have come a long way from that picture above from 1997.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                Still Old School
                • Feb 14, 2008

One of thee best toys ever made!
                Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• tay666
                  Career Member
                  • Dec 27, 2008

I got Evil Knievel for xmas somewhere in that time frame as well. (either 74 or 75).
                  Played with it a ton. Also ended up getting a 2nd hand van from a yard sale one summer as well. Man me and my friends jumped those bikes over and off of everything and anything.
                  My parents really frowned on jumping it down the stairs though as it dinged up the wall at the bottom.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 15, 2012

We either used Evel in the semi finished basement or outside. He could do some damage to wall and trim.

I saw a video where a guy jumped Evel out the window of his house and he landed on a ramp one story down in his driveway. I’m not that skilled. Evel always ends up wrecking when I try.

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

VERY COOL !!!

Back in the day my Evel and motorcycle came with his blue #1 suit.

Remember being let down it wasn't the classic white V-neck suit like everybody else had.

Found out a little later EVERYBODY loved my Evel and were jelly !!! (because of the blue suit)

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 15, 2012

Originally posted by Mikey
                        Back in the day my Evel and motorcycle came with his blue #1 suit.
                        I didn't even know there was a blue suit back then. We had 2 white suit Evels and my neighbor had a red one. I remember my older cousins had the jet bike and the funny car. They were both white suits. We lived sheltered lives back then.

One of the lots I bought came with a blue suit Evel. He turned out to be too nice to sell. I think it is the coolest of the suits. But I am partial to the traditional white one.

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

Even Knievel was one of the best boy toys of the 70’s, I didn’t have one although a couple of friends of mine did and I remember both the blue and white outfits, did they ever have a red outfit for him? I thought they had him in red too, maybe later?

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 15, 2012

Ideal made white, blue, and red suits from the start. The early ones came carded and then they switched to boxes like MEGO. Later on, they made another red outfit that came with accessories on a card. The white seems to be the most plentiful of the suits out there but most are beat up. The felt on all of them make them hard to clean.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎