X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aquatroy
    Permanent Member
    • Apr 28, 2002

Restoring Matt Mason

I've found various sites on Google about restoring Matt Mason figures. Specifically paint & joints?

Troy
    Hey! Check out the pictures.
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by aquatroy
    I've found various sites on Google about restoring Matt Mason figures. Specifically paint & joints?

Troy
    Track down Jim Hampton (megojim) on Facebook. He's shared some restos he's done.

Comment

• rykerw1701
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 27, 2007

Very cool toys, but I was too young for these as a kid when they came out, and too old for Star Wars when that line hit. That leaves me with only 1,000 other toys I can collect and get that nostolgic rush.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 29, 2018

So exactly the same for me. I never even heard of MMM or Captain Action til I was 25

Comment

• thesharkman
          Museum Patron
          • Nov 1, 2019

Troy
          you'll have a hard time finding paint that doesn't get tacky, even after hours of drying. a guy who goes by Toysurgeon used to have a fabulous paint mix and was able to fix up matt figures so that you couldn't tell anything was done to them. he has since been unable to find a source of his paint; so, his services are no longer available.

thesharkman

Comment

• Megotastrophe
            Permanent Member
            • Jun 29, 2018

I used Plastidip to refresh some of the Mego Bendies. It looked ok for the 5 years I had them after the procedure.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
              Track down Jim Hampton (megojim) on Facebook. He's shared some restos he's done.
              That's the man if you need help in restoring a Major Matt. He did a couple for me at Mego Meet back in the day.
              "When not too many people can see we're all the same
              And because of all their tears,
              Their eyes can't hope to see
              The beauty that surrounds them
              Isn't it a pity".

- "Isn't It A Pity"
              By George Harrison

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list:
              Good Traders List - Page 80 - Mego Talk

Comment

• SpaceCrawler
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 20, 2008

Troy
                To restore joints you can find tutorials on Youtube. You're essentially just forcing new wires into the limbs- there's not much more to it- you just have to make sure you maintain a straight line going up the limb so you don't poke out the side. But if you do you just pull back a little, realign and try again to go more straight. I think you need to cut the feet off first, the shove wires up the legs. The arms you may be able to bend the hands aside while you rewire them the same way.

For paint your best bet is a good acrylic paint in thin layers (not slopped on thick).

Sean

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎