X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Shogun Warriors Under the Tree

Got a great couple of vintage images this week from Dan Brackett, who here is opening up his Shogun Warriors Mazinga (man that box looks sweet) and behind him is a Bat-Away set. Dan says he managed to replace the Bat-Away on Ebay for under $10 but no such luck on Mazinga...

Want to see more? Check out the Mego Museum Blog Today for more vintage goodness from Dan.

Got a Vintage Shot to Share? Please drop us a line!
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

awesome,I was always impressed on how large those figures were
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

A toy almost as big as you. Now THAT'S a toy!
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
        Pat Troughton in disguise
        • Nov 21, 2007

wow shogun warriors.....still got the complete run of marvel comics....lol...must be worth all of 50p...lol...the toys were awesome
        ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• steelcouch
          Career Member
          • Feb 11, 2006

Wow thats a cool photo. I still see my mom selling my shogun warriors for $5 each at a block yard sale every time I see a pic of shogun warriors

Comment

• megoat
            A Therefore Experience
            • Jun 10, 2003

Awesome picture! I'm wondering if Mazinga was Mattel's best selling Shogun. It's the only one I had as a kid and they appear more frequently than the others on eBay. Why Mazinga?

Comment

• starsky
              veteran member
              • Aug 26, 2007

i had dragun and he was pretty cool. shooting stars and axes. but i sure wanted mazinga tho!!

Comment

• Adam West
                Museum CPA
                • Apr 14, 2003

I also had a Mazinga. Didn't even know it was a comic and nothing I ever asked for.

A great toy to beat your younger brother up with between the plastic swords and plastic rockets.
                "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• mazinz
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 2, 2007

Not to hi-jack the thread, but for records sake there were two versions of Mazinga

the first version was released as "Mazinga". This one had the removeable red spaceship in his head, and had a bigger and seperate red sheild piece on his chest. Also some of the missle arrangements were different

The second version came towards the end and is the more common. Now called "great mazinga" (the box did say this). This one no longer had the spaceship in his head removable and the red chest plate was now part of the actual molded body with a red sticker instead. Also some he had slightly less missle arrangements.

Mazinga and Raydeen were both the most popular (at least in the US) from this series.

More info can be found here:
                  http://www.wildtoys.com/Shogun/index.asp
                  "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Yeah, it's funny, Mazinga was the first one I got as a kid, and I only knew two other kids who had a Shogun and they both had Mazinga as well. I never even saw a Dragun or Raydeen "in person" until I was an adult. (I don't these things received much distribution here in Canada. I personally never saw them in stores, and my mom told me she had to go over the border to Buffalo to buy me one).

In regards to the Mazinga variations, I remember my friend getting one a year after I did, and he had the lamer "Great Mazinga" version, with the chest sticker, non removable Brain Condor, and less missles. At the time we both compared it to mine and thought he really got ripped off.

Comment

• twilitezoner
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 18, 2007

I had a Mazinga as well, but Dragun was always my favorite.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎