X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

5 Awesome Things on eBay this week

Evel Knievel Challenge Machine- Yeah, Japan was not immune to the charms of Evel Knievel as evidenced by this Japanese version of the popular toy. I don't why the Japanese version of something always looks cooler but it usually does.

1970s Batman and Robin necktie- While Superhero neckties are absolutely commonplace these days, it wasn't particularly popular to fly your geek flag in the 1970s, so this tie which looks like Batman is drawn by a guy who designs neck ties is freaking fascinating to me.

Walking Kooky Creature Kit- I honestly don't know if I remember this but it sure looks familiar, i love the idea of making your own puppet monster. I probably had an older cousin who had this or something...

Blake's 7 UK Annual- Oh how I love UK hard back annuals and Blake's 7. I'll probably end up buying one of these from the seller this week. UK annuals covered a million subjects like Kojak, Max Headroom and even Thunderbirds 2086 (Oh God I love Thunderbirds 2086!) I wish had more money right now.

Robin Hang Glider toy by Jotastar- I own one of these and do so on principle, Robin doesn't get enough toy love. Batman usually hogs all the glory and I mean, the Hulk has more vehicles than Dick Grayson in the toy world. This is righting a serious wrong.

Don't forget to join our new facebook group.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Oh My God, I need that Robin Hang Glider. I had no idea it even existed. Not a mention of Batman on that card! Lifted/redrawn Irv Novick artwork (just like many of the Mego head shots).

The art on the Batman tie is based on the first "New Look" issue of the Batman comic, #164, from June, 1964.

Great stuff as always!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Confessional
      Maker & Whatnot
      • Aug 8, 2012

The hang glider is great… what an excellent companion format to the mighty parachuter!

Comment

• J.B.
        Guild Navigator
        • Jun 23, 2010

I like that Glider. At first glance I thought the Robin figure was the Green Goblin.
        You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

Wow, lots of cool things that I've never seen before. And I agree about the Popy Evel, Japanese packaging always looks cooler for some reason, and this looks great.

Comment

• Confessional
            Maker & Whatnot
            • Aug 8, 2012

^^ … the combination of drama, intensity, color, and dynamic type design. There's a real lineage of these visuals across Japanese toy packaging and advertising from the post-war 50's to the present. In addition, Japanese books, movie posters, comics, etc. also benefit from this recipe of awesomeness.

Comment

• toyhunter1970
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 24, 2020

everything on this list is a winner

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡