X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Question for the Hot Wheels experts.

What year did Mattel completely phase out solid metal bodies in mainline Hot Wheels? I know even going back into the 70s and 80s some cars already had plastic bases. But from what I remember there were still solid metal cars as well as ones with opening doors and hoods in the mainline.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • B-Lister
    Eccentric Weirdo
    • Mar 19, 2010

This is fairly recent. I'm trying to get an answer myself.

For instance, for the Twin Mill (a car that has been produced since the 60s), the change happened THIS YEAR. But for the mainline, it's been standard for a few years now.
    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by B-Lister

For instance, for the Twin Mill (a car that has been produced since the 60s), the change happened THIS YEAR. But for the mainline, it's been standard for a few years now.
      I just noticed that too about the Twin Mill. I just picked up a 2018 Twin Mill mainline and it is still solid metal but I've read the 2019 version has a plastic base. Twin Mill must have been one of the last, if not the last, metal on metal cars to still be issued in the mainline.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• B-Lister
        Eccentric Weirdo
        • Mar 19, 2010

Yup. Aside from Batmobiles and other pop culture cars, my days of collecting new Hot Wheels are done. I'll stick to vintage, until such time that they decide to cut it with the Happy Meal crap and make REAL Hot Wheels again.
        Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎