Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If anybody cares...newly discovered Swamp Thing variant.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

If anybody cares...newly discovered Swamp Thing variant.

I recently discovered a previously unknown variant of Dr. Deemo from the Kenner Swamp Thing line.

His torso comes unpainted, or with either gold or silver painted buttons on his vest.

After doing some searching I found loose and carded examples of all three variations. It's a minor thing, but I always find this stuff fascinating.

• palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I bought all of these in college, got them all on close out at Hill's in Buffalo!
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

One of my favorite toy lines. I like the extra details--and shouldn't his trouser-front be painted red?
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Neat, that was a fun line of toys.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
          Neat, that was a fun line of toys.
          Such good playsets with it, too.

Dwayne, do any other figures have variants?
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• B-Lister
            Eccentric Weirdo
            • Mar 19, 2010

I've got a small pile of them. All loose. I bought a lot on ebay, on beater cards so e years back.
            Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
              Such good playsets with it, too.

Dwayne, do any other figures have variants?
              As far as I know, only Camouflage Swamp Thing...and it's a major variation. They used a much more complex paint mask on the first issue,
              then quickly changed it due to costs. The paint changes color from green to brown so Swamp Thing can "hide". It works REALLY well too.
              All mine still change color perfectly.

Comment

• B-Lister
                Eccentric Weirdo
                • Mar 19, 2010

I have the third variation. Love the sculpt on that figure. And the paint works perfectly on mine.
                Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
                  I bought all of these in college, got them all on close out at Hill's in Buffalo!
                  You and I shopped at the same store. I remember buying these guys on clearance at both Hill's and KB.

I used to have the first version of the camo Swampy, I remember finding him and thinking I hit the lottery!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Oh, nice! What a fun line. I think if the animated series had continued, that line could have really taken off. I remember being hopeful Kenner was going to give us a new DC line at the time, since they were doing Swamp Thing and the Dark Knight Collection at the same time. I had to wait several years for...Total Justice. Sigh.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      Oh, nice! What a fun line. I think if the animated series had continued, that line could have really taken off. I remember being hopeful Kenner was going to give us a new DC line at the time, since they were doing Swamp Thing and the Dark Knight Collection at the same time. I had to wait several years for...Total Justice. Sigh.

Chris
                      I did make one of the unreleased prototype figures Chris. Kenner reused the sculpt for their Robocop line so all the elements existed for me to make Defoliator Arcane!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

^ Please tell us more about this--and I'd like to see it, too!!

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Yeah, that would be cool to see.
                          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• monitor_ep
                            Talkative Member
                            • May 11, 2013

I knew about this by accident. I bought 2 sets when they first came out (one set to take out) and noticed they were some difference in the paint job. Later went back and got a good duplicate to take out. Remember this was before the internet so there was not searching to find out about this info. I am glad I have hung onto them but they are now packed away and I just do not remember what box they are in.
                            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• enyawd72
                              Maker of Monsters!
                              • Oct 1, 2009

Here it is...the original prototype photo on the left, my completed figure on the right! I made some adjustments to the colors and style of the paint apps to match the other figures in the line.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎