X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Painter Earl Norem has passed away

So sad to hear this. Norem informed a lot of my childhood, and was the first painter I recognized from one project to another. From a set of Marvel children's books I have to all of his MOTU work, he really fired my imagination and made me conceive what these characters would look like in real life, because he injected so much life into them.

On top of all that, my Dad even had some stuff with Norem's work! My dad had a handful of western magazines published by Charlton, and Norem provided some of those covers. Of course Norem also provided covers for Marvel's magazines in the 70s as well.

RIP.

sigpic
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Oh that's really sad. A while back i was giving some advice to a woman who was helping Earl sell his portfolio to collectors. He didn't have a computer and it seemed kind of charming .
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

Too bad. Rest in peace. What a talent he had. I am saddened anytime we loose another old school painter, because the digital generation just can't get it right. There are no superstars who can wield a brush these days. (besides Alex Ross)

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

Always loved the mighty Norem's work... from his Marvel stuff, to MOTU, and everything else he did. Such a wonderfully dynamic and powerful style. One of my favourite artists. Another legend passes. RIP.

Last edited by Bruce Banner; Jun 22, '15, 8:31 AM.
        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Hedji
          Too bad. Rest in peace. What a talent he had. I am saddened anytime we loose another old school painter, because the digital generation just can't get it right. There are no superstars who can wield a brush these days. (besides Alex Ross)
          AMEN to that. That's why I keep on painting. RIP Earl...

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

I wasn't familiar with his name at first glance, but wow, do I know him. The Avengers painting is a Rampaging Hulk cover. It resonated with me as a kid so greatly, I eventually framed it for my office. I recognized a lot of what I found of his. Amazing talent. Sad he's gone, but he leaves a fantastic body of work, which is a great testament.

Comment

• Figuremod73
              That 80's guy
              • Jul 27, 2011

Oh wow. What a painter. I think I first noticed his work with the He-man related stuff to. Power in every painting.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                That 80's guy
                • Jul 27, 2011

Now I'm wanting this book even more: http://www.entertainmentearth.com/pr...9#.VYge3PlViko

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                  Banned
                  • Jun 23, 2001

I was familiar with his work through his Fantastic Four work. This was a prelim of one of the pages he did:

from this FF book:

His He-Man stuff is probably what he will best be known for with comic book fans. Amazing painter. RIP Earl.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

^Berto, that was the book I spoke of. Still have my childhood copy. It's gorgeous. There is a Spider-Man one with Norem art as well.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Bocasean
                      • Nov 30, 2014

He will be missed. Aside from him, Bob Larkin, Fastner & Larson, and Alex Ross, skilled painters a rare breed in comics for ANY era, let alone today. He lived a great life and made the world a better place!
                      WANTED: Original artwork (comics, toys/merch, and color guides), 1966 Avengers Buttonworld pinback (carded/bagged), and a white-carded MOC Captain America Pocket Heroes. Do me a solid and like my hard work at www.facebook.com/1toy2many

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎