Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JWLJN
    Veteran Member
    • May 7, 2013

I was born at the end of '82, so my collecting years were the "dead" Star Wars years and so much of my stuff was acquired through clearance at places like Children's Palace and Big Lots. I had the full Bespin, full Death Star, and the Ion Cannon and Generator sets. Got a lot of play out of them when I wasn't playing with the main Star Wars line. I had the Jabba's Palace model kit and I used that with these as well. I sold them on eBay about 8-10 years ago, but I still miss that little Han in Carbonite. Looked like a lil piece of chocolate!

-J\/\/
    http://wrestlingmemorabilia.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/JWsWrestlingMemorabilia

Comment

• El Hombre Nuclear
      Museum Super Collector
      • Sep 5, 2014

As as new member, I feel that I must apologize for derailing a thread that was ostensibly about Star Wars Micro Collection toys into a discussion regarding the merits of the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon. As mentioned previously, on initial release, said cartoon left me red-faced with rage, shaking my "Fiend Folio" at the uncaring heavens. However, after several decades of intensive electro-shock therapy, I've finally come to terms with this vile abomin... er, wonderful animated program, and am doing quite well now. So as a token of my deep, heartfelt regret, I'd like to finish my stay in this thread with an image sure to delight children young and old. In fact, I've even commissioned a renowned master of Mexican velvet painting to produce a replica for me, which now hangs proudly over my dining room table. Please enjoy!

Last edited by El Hombre Nuclear; Sep 15, '14, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• Toy Timelord
        Banned
        • Aug 4, 2014

Found a number of sets at my local antique shop, if they had been complete the price was right, even though the figures were a bit chipped up.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
          Veteran Member
          • May 15, 2012

I was going through my Star Wars stuff recently, and came to the same realization as many of you. 1982 was a pivotal year. I have almost every Star Wars figure up to 1981 and then nada after that. Totally shifted my 10 year old attention to Gi Joe. I remember the tv commercials for these micro figures. They were tempting, but kind of like old plastic army men...forever stuck in one pose.

Comment

• VintageMike
            Permanent Member
            • Dec 16, 2004

'82 was kind of the beginning of the end, with the empire waves petering out. '83 was the killer for me when the Jedi waves started coming. While they covered the movie accurately many of the figures failed to appeal to me. There were some standouts (Luke Jedi, Biker Scout) and some decent figures in the first wave, but after that "bleh". By contrast GI Joe was only a few waves in still producing exciting new characters. I think any line that's around for a certain number of years starts reaching at the end.

Comment

• Spawn67
              Career Member
              • Aug 14, 2009

Yea 83 was a moving on from Star Wars time for me looking back on it with toys . Also my family moved that year to a new house so that maybe had something to do with it. The first wave of ROTJ figures were awesome and I loved them as much as the first 2 movie figures but the GIJOE and MOTHU universe hit and I moved onto that. As well as D and D figures. However I still played with my plastic army men and tried to find as many obscure sets as possible back then. Then the NINJA phase hit. Then Pro Wrestling. But yea I had a set of these mini figures and still have some pieces in my collection.
              Last edited by Spawn67; Sep 19, '14, 2:57 PM.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

I really liked the ROTJ figures. Some of Kenner's best sculpts in the SW line. There were obvious peg warmers like Rancor Keeper and General Madine but the majority of them were great figures and
                for all the complaints I hear of people supposedly not liking Ewoks, they sold very, very well. They still fly off the shelves when ever they are released.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                  Persistent Member
                  • Mar 1, 2005

I was very fond of the Micro Collection figures. I didn't own any unfortunately, but one of my best friends had the Bespin sets and another friend had the Hoth sets, so I still managed to get some quality playtime with them back then. A few years later my buddies started to get rid of their toys and gave me the remaining pieces of their MC sets, which I still have. I have only occasionally added to the collection over the years, but I find myself being far more attracted to the MC and die cast mini vehicles these days than the 3-3/4" line. I really want that MC Millenium Falcon someday.

As for MOTU and GI Joe r.a.h., those came towards the end of the toy buying childhood as well, but my interest in them did manage to last between one and two years I'd say, but by '84 I was pretty much done with them. I still have a fondness for those toys, but only those first couple years worth at best.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎