X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Podstallions 19: Japanese toys

Episode 19 sees Jason and Brian explain their deep affection for toys from the land of the rising sun.

Even though we both grew up in North America, our childhoods were made happier by the imports that did manage to hop across the Pacific leaving us with a thirst for more.

Japanese Toys tries to cover all the bases (but we're going need to do a part 2 sometime) including topics such as Shogun Warriors, Kamen Rider, Microman, Ultraman, Star Blazers, Mecha Kong, Japanese Spider-Man, Eidai Grip, Gerry Anderson, Jason's Tokyo mishaps and Brian's current addiction to Japanese auctions.

Episode 19 will have you finding a proxy bidding service.

PS don't buy us things.

Download the Show Here

Listen here

Show Links:

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • RobTMego
    Career Member
    • Mar 15, 2013

oh will be listening!!

Comment

• cjefferys
      Duke of Gloat
      • Apr 23, 2006

I'm gonna pass on this one, there's nothing here that could possibly interest me...

(Oooo, I can't wait to hear this!)

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by cjefferys
        I'm gonna pass on this one, there's nothing here that could possibly interest me...
        You will learn NOTHING.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

If Jason is lurking, there are a few lines of awesome articulated Japanese figures pimped out with parts and accesories that he might be referring....

Max Factory Figma is a more recent line that included the Indiana Jones you mentioned....

and there is also Revoltech (which did Pixar/Disney characters as well).

I believe Diamond or other North American distributers have imported selected figures from both lines in recent years.
          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I missed out on the Shogun Warriors somehow. I remember finding one of the diecast versions in a yard sale in the mid-80s. He got added to Transformers play pretty quickly.

Fun episode as always, even though my knowledge of these things is pretty limited, and mostly comes from Plaid Stallions itself. Jason's story about missing out on those Tokyo toys was heart-wrenching.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Oh man, that was a great show guys! Those Ark diecast toys did get US distribution, but mostly just in Chinatown stores, I guess that's where Jason's father found one? I'm still on the lookout for the King Kong toy, in it's original Japanese packaging, where he's actually called "King Kong" instead of the US packaging where he was called "Mecha Gorilla". It's technically a part of the '76 Kong merchandise line (a pic of the theatrical poster is on the back of the box), so it's on my list. Oh, and fun fact, Ark was started by one of the founders of Bullmark after the latter went out of business.

My first Japanese toy was the Shogun Warriors 24" Mazinga. I got him for my 10th birthday, it was love at first sight, and I was hooked on Japanese toys ever since. I love it all, the Popy Jumbos, vinyls, chogokin, the Takara Henshin Cyborgs and Star Wars toys, all the Godzilla toys, etc.! If you guys do a part two and need any help, let me know!

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                • Jan 22, 2008

This still hasnt become available on my itunes podcast feed.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by 4NDR01D
                  This still hasnt become available on my itunes podcast feed.
                  Thanks for pointing that out, having problems with the blog software these days. Should be there soon.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎